Join Early Retirement Today

New York Times: Six figures not enough!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New York Times: Six figures not enough!

Bad news folks...apparently the scamps at the new york times have declared that $100k/year is no longer enough to be affluent. It now takes at LEAST $200k to be able to afford a "decent" house (with a $20k parking space, no less), school for the kids, and maybe a cheap vacation (if you're lucky).

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/fa...200K.html?8dpc
soupcxan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New York Times: Six figures not enough!
Old 02-27-2005, 05:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Bad news folks...apparently the scamps at the new york times have declared that $100k/year is no longer enough to be affluent. It now takes at LEAST $200k to be able to afford a "decent" house (with a $20k parking space, no less), school for the kids, and maybe a cheap vacation (if you're lucky).

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/fa...200K.html?8dpc
The NY times definition of an affluent life style is bunk.

My definition of an affluent life style is one that no longer has to work and has enough money to do whatever one wants. It might take 200k/yr for some but might be as little as 20k/yr for others. Depends on where you live and what you want to do in life.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #3

The simple answer for everyone is LBYM. Working or not, LBYM. Works everytime.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

The NYT lives in NY City. They probably do need this much and don't think it's a lot.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read that article today and to some extent I can understand the sentiment. I live in a county outside NYC where the median household income is #8 in the country. We don't live in one of the wealthier towns (couldn't afford the RE), but cost of living is pretty high. We have a modest 3BR/2Bath house in a pleasant, but not affluent neighborhood. We drive modest cars. We shop around a lot for groceries, etc. And, yes, we are (barely) into the six figure range. There is not a whole lot of fat left in the budget, enough so that with DW, el kiddo and I it is sometimes a bit tight.

Rarefied expensive areas may produce high salaries compared to the rest of the country, but it comes with a much higher cost of living.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Rarefied expensive areas may produce high salaries compared to the rest of the country, but it comes with a much higher cost of living.
This is very accurate. In fact, in areas where there are sky-high salaries (e.g., NYC, LA, SF, DC) the cost of living (including real estate) is higher by overall proportion than the rest of the country. You can live in a more rural setting around one of these areas where real estate is more affordable, but then you're adding a massive commute.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The NYT lives in NY City. They probably do need this much and don't think it's a lot.
Many people who live in NYC do not require alot of money to live. Some actually can get by easier than those in many other parts of the country.

The reasons for this are

A) Most people do not live in Manhattan. They live in Brooklyn. Queens, SI or the Bronx. Alot in Jersey as well. Many apartments are rent controlled or rent stabilized. That means one person can be paying a fraction of the rent as his neighbor. Some who have been in the same apartment for many years may be paying 40% of market value.

B) You do not need a car in the 5 boroughs. A monthly metro card for the subway or bus is $74 a month.

C) There are alot of free or inexpensive activities to attend. Museums, Central Park, Television studios, the NYSE etc etc.

D) Many outlet stores nearby where clothes and household items can be of purchased reasonably. Alot of sales in major department stores especially in January.

And what I see as the biggest factor is the salary one can earn in NYC as opposed the most of the country.
I don't have any stats but in my experiences NY'ers earn alot more in many fields than other cities.

The New York Times is referring to those who own coops in Midtown which they paid 750k in addition to a 1000 a month maintenance fee, own a car that costs them 300 a month just to park and have expensive habits.

That lifestyle requires 200k a year at least.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #8

Similar to what others have said, it really depends on your life style and where you want to live. If you live in the heart of Mahatton and enjoy the night life, you will probably need more $200K year.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:28 AM   #9

Or, if way out in the boondocks and like fishing and poking
around the woods, under 20K will do

JG
Old 02-28-2005, 03:33 AM   #10

John,

I like in the rural area if only I can convince my wife. She likes the modern conveniences of the city.

Spanky
Old 02-28-2005, 04:00 AM   #11

Well, Spanky, that was one of the attractions of my DW.
Besides being pretty, perky and blond, she is very outdoorsy just like your faithful correspondent. If she had been rich too, she would have had it all

JG
Old 02-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Many people who live in NYC do not require alot of money to live. Some actually can get by easier than those in many other parts of the country.
This is something that we've discussed before. It's about adapting to your locale. It doesn't make a lot of sense to force some generalized living style on every location (which is what the cost of living calculators do). Nor does it make sense to move to a different location and try to continue living exactly like you did in the previous one. Unless you don't mind the extra costs.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote