Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Newest National Park in Indiana
Old 02-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Newest National Park in Indiana

Indiana just got its first national park, called Indiana Dunes National Park. It's now the 61st NP of the US.

The state has been trying to get this designation for 103 years. See: US Newest National Park.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yippee. There's 125,000 acres in the Tennessee mountains that are every bit as beautiful as the Smokies, and they sit relatively underdeveloped. It has some of the premier white water in the U.S., and great equestrian facilities.

Had Howard Baker been elected President, the Big South Fork was slated to be the next National Park. Never happened, and the land sits relatively unused.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good new's, now I can say I have been to two NP's! Assuming Washington DC is a national park?

Ok, I looked it up and I am pretty sure I walked thru the area designated as a NP, last year.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Yippee.
Had Howard Baker been elected President, the Big South Fork was slated to be the next National Park. Never happened, and the land sits relatively unused.
The Big South Fork is a national recreation area, not the same protection as a National Park though. I've backpacked several times in the Big South Fork, beautiful! Haven't been there since 1997.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #5

Indiana Dunes should have been a national park years ago! It's incredibly beautiful, I've taken long walks along those dunes. So happy it's protected and they can't build huge condos overlooking Lake Michigan.

Our Middle Fork Forest Preserve in Illinois is now a designated International Dark Sky Park. It took about 2 years for that designation. Great place in the midwest to view the stars.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to hear this news. Being so close to Chicago and Detroit I am glad it is getting the oversight needed to preserve it. Used to day trip there in high school.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta get back to the Indiana Dunes. Haven’t been there since the 70’s. Good to see that it is a NP.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the information.

Before this the idea of a National Park in Indiana made as much sense to me as a building a 70 story high rise office building in Norphlet, Arkansas.

I need to see this wonderful place on my next trip through the Great Lakes area.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Thanks for the information.

Before this the idea of a National Park in Indiana made as much sense to me as a building a 70 story high rise office building in Norphlet, Arkansas.

I need to see this wonderful place on my next trip through the Great Lakes area.
Living in the Southwest, I do not have a good knowledge of the geography of the region. I had to look up the map to see that Indiana has a bit of shoreline on Lake Michigan. I had read about the dune, and did not realize that it was part of the state.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

People in that area can celebrate with this new font that mimics the National Park Service type used in their signs:

https://nationalparktypeface.com/Download

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I have visited 41 of the National Parks and expect to add 5 more this year. Indiana Dunes is within reach of one of our summer trips so I am glad to have heard about it. How terrible to drive (somewhat) nearby and miss out! The length and breadth of information on e-r.org never fails to amaze me.
mattbaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #12

Visiting all the National Parks was one of my life's goal when I was younger. I stopped at around 30 as they kept converting National Monuments to National Parks and the new ones lack the quality which exists in parks like Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Arches, ....

I can't speak for Dunes NP since I never been to it. I hope to get there one day.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote