Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I edited my post seeing latest they are saying is possibly a 3.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

It’s a category 2 now, at 100mph sustained winds.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

New Orleans is not even in the cone any more!!!

Figures, I just finished all my last minute hurricane preps.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Hope it stays that way for you... So far, you guys have been super lucky this season...
Old 09-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Hope it's stays that way for you... So far, you guys have been super lucky this season...
That's for sure! Although I probably should not count my chickens before they hatch, as the saying goes.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
New Orleans is not even in the cone any more!!!

Figures, I just finished all my last minute hurricane preps.
Yeah, I've still got a plastic storage box of water in the tub. It was intended to fill the toilets when Douglas hit - which it didn't! So far, too lazy to use for it's intended purpose. But I hate to just dump 20 gallons of water down the drain.

So glad to hear you are out of the "cone." God protect the Gulf States!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Not sure. But of course I never said the NHC predicted it. But plenty of weather sources did. Like this example.

https://www.12newsnow.com/video/weat...4-3633cb2de7f5

OK, so you were mixing forecasts from different sources when you said "Cat 5" and "unsurvivable storm surge". I thought that was probably the case. You can find all sorts of different forecasts for tropical storms if you look hard enough, but the official one that most people pay most attention to comes from the National Hurricane Center (NHC).
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #48

Quote:
But the more important point I think is NO is now pretty much off the table.

Not much comfort to folks living in places like Mobile, AL, though........
Old 09-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suggest nothing different. I just note that the same dire warnings with each storm wear a bit thin and probably hurt preparedness.
You're not going to change anything squawking about it here, and your comments about this are wearing quite a bit thin. You made your point, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but how about moving on?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #50

Quote:
I just note that the same dire warnings with each storm wear a bit thin and probably hurt preparedness..
I've lived in FL for over 30 years and that sort of thing is rare if true at all. Live here long enough and you either get smacked or super lucky. Are there twits who think that way? Perhaps, a handful. There are twits everywhere.

A Ca 1 tore off half our roof shingles, broke a window, and downed a tree on the house, leaving the whole area with no power for a week or more. Any hurricane, 75mph or 175mph can ruin your day, or your month.

Even those that haven't actually been in a direct hit have lived here for a least a handful of dry runs, and tropical storms, and are more than happy to take down our shutters and put the plants back on the patio, with no damage to show for it besides a few trees going sideways. They've met friends and neighbors who can tell them even a low-ranked storm is no joke.

I am not staying in any house for a Cat5, which means I might evacuate prematurely, and see the storm downgrade or change course after I leave for a few days, but so be it, far better than the alternative.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
You're not going to change anything squawking about it here, and you're comments about this are wearing quite a bit thin. You made your point, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but how about moving on?

+1
Old 09-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
CAT 3, 4, or 5 or whatever....if you are "in" one, it's all bad. Us folks on the Gulf Coast are especially worried about all of them. And if the wind don't get ya, how about 53" of rain!
Yes. No one should discount these storms. My one brush with this was in Galveston around 1990ish. We lived in a house on the beach for a summer. When we were moving out a tropical storm hit. Loading up the vehicles with nearly knee high water in the pouring rain was one thing. We parked the truck on plywood so it wouldn't keep sinking in the soil. Add in the fire ants floating on the surface biting your legs, that's another dimension. The storm lingered, the moved off, then moved back. Then moved north so we had to drive through it on the way to Dallas. I can hardly imagine adding all that rain to the winds and surf required for a hurricane!! We've lived in the Mountain West since then. Only drought and fire and dust and smoke here.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

This morning we are no longer under a hurricane warning, at last! It is overcast here in New Orleans, but neither raining nor windy. Hurricane Sally is losing strength and of course, those of us in Louisiana feel so relieved with the track change and sincerely hope it doesn't cause much damage wherever it makes landfall.

There is another storm that is yet unnamed, that just broke off of Africa, has a 70% chance of development, and is headed this way. Guess we have some time before we know what it will do.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #54
Administrator

Good to hear that you are okay. Hope the next one misses too.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Looks like it’s headed straight for Mobile.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Cat 1 but very slow moving. Possibly a very large rain event.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #57
gone traveling

My BIL is leaving our house in Ohio going back to South Florida on Friday...he may have a major rain event to drive through.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #58

Quote:
LOL. People still defending the ever-cataclysmic predictions. I'm sure all the predictions were "reasonable", but Cat 5, "record storm surge" and "unsurvivable storm surge" never happened.
I live 6 feet above sea level down where the Potomac flows into the Chesapeake. November will mark 8 years at this address. Literally hundreds of flood warnings over that time period. Been flooded a total of ZERO times. Now I do anticipate being flooded some time in the future. We built a few cinder blocks higher with the new house 1.5 years ago and carry flood insurance. When the flood waters eventually come, the score will be warnings=397 vs actual floods=1. Stop crying wolf and make your predictions a bit more realistic there EXPERTS. Tired of the over reactions. And yes I have lived through fires (evacuated my house in San Diego twice), earth quakes in SOCAL, Typhoons in Japan, tornado's in the midwest and sand storms in Iraq and Kuwait.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Creeping at 2mph - that’s just crazy!
Old 09-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Looks like it’s headed straight for Mobile.
Yep and my vacation condo in Orange Beach is just east of Mobile Bay. Over the last 2 years a metal roof was installed(supposedly 140 mph grade), Hardiplank siding and new hurricane windows also installed. So this will be a good test for the upgrades. Just last week my storm door was repaired because is was partially blown off from gusty winds in the last few weeks. My confidence for the door surviving 24 hours of persistent winds is low. But if that's all that is messed up I will be satisfied.