Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Nexus 7, Original Nook, and Kindle Touch
Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nexus 7, Original Nook, and Kindle Touch

I bought the original Nook ($35), and the first Kindle Touch ($41) on eBay so that I can put drafts of my book on them, then lend them to friends or family for proofreading.

So, from the perspective of someone who has all three ...

The e-ink for the e-readers is surprisingly nice. I prefer it to my normal-display Nexus 7. There's something pleasing about it--I guess it feels more like a real book.

And, reading outside in direct sunlight is a pleasure.

Although the interface on the Nook is klunky, for just reading, I prefer it to the Kindle. Perhaps it's because it came with a super-nice leather cover, or because I can advance the pages by squeezing the bezel rather than by tapping the screen.

Reading on the Nexus is still good, and it's convenient to be able to use it in the dark, but there's something nice about the e-ink readers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

I had the original Kindle, and hated it.

Then I got a Kindle Paperwhite about a year and a half ago, and I love it. What a difference!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did they fix the delay in the refresh for the kindle paperwhite? That always drove me crazy when I tried the original kindle.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

No noticeable delay. I use it every day.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The Paperwhite is on my "to-buy" list of Christmas presents for a friend. I love mine, I suppose the new ones are better!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have the kindle Paperwhite as well. I use it frequently, especially on sleepless nights. The backlight is excellent and doesn't disturb my wife's sleep. The kindle Paperwhite is also excellent in the sunlight.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Covbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks braumeister
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use the original Nook since I prefer ePubs from my library and don't buy books. I also like the e-ink approach because of battery life and use in sunlight. For reading on a backlight screen indoors I think I would go for an iPad mini. DW got the newer e-ink Nook that has LED lighting along the bezel (like a Kindle Paperwhite, I believe). That is an excellent feature for reading at night.