Nexus 7 vs. Kindle vs. Nook

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
Tablets? Not an Apple user so looking for a basic table/e-reader and wonder if anyone has any comments? Looks like next week Google Nexus 7 will have new 32Gb version and lower price on 16Gb version. Don't fully understand Nexus "naked" Android Os vs. specialized/customized Kindle and Nook Android Os options? Also a bit confused on no micro SD slots? Is this a big issue or not? We are not interested in movies and storage of movies....used for books/magazines/web browsing/e-mail/simple games/etc. Would like any feedback one brand vs. the other? How important is 16 Gb vs. 32 Gb? Right now seems as if Google Nexus 7 has very good reviews. Wow...sure we will hear that i Pad mini is best but as never owning an Apple product seems as if the specs/features are not that far ahead of these others and that it has a bigger price tag. Thanks for helping us make a choice! :whistle:

Sounds like in your case waiting for the lower priced Nexus 7 would be the best. 16GB sounds like more than enough for what your wants/needs are.

More skeptical with Nexus 7

Sounds like in your case waiting for the lower priced Nexus 7 would be the best. .
+1
I am hoping for $99 Google Nexus 7 at Christmas time, but I just got a new 15.6" laptop that does more then the tablet.
Last year I bought Google TV box (made by Logitech) and to this day I can't watch TV reruns (like abc) I can get on my laptop. Simple message appears: this box is not supported. It's frustrating after you spend the money and wait while 'they are working on it'.
So I will be more skeptical with Nexus 7 about what it can really do.

I've got a Motorola Xoom (wifi) and it's "naked". What this means is that you get android updates quicker, because there are no customizations that need to be ported into the OS.
It also means you can install/run pretty much any app that is available for Android. With the Kindle Fire you are limited to apps purchased (for $ or free) through the amazon app store.. And content, etc...
Amazon and B&N have a vested interest in pushing you through their portal for apps and content (ebooks, etc.)

I know the nook used to be able to be rooted. That's the android equivalent of apple's "jail breaking". But I think B&N modified their code enough to prevent it on newer models. Haven't paid that close attention since I pulled the trigger and bought the xoom.

I know, initially, both the kindle fire and the nook had issues running the overdrive software (for library ebooks) if they weren't rooted. But I think they resolved that.

I just run the nook app, kindle app, overdrive app, and google play ereader app, on my tablet - so I can get content from anywhere.

If it were me, I'd get the nexus 7". It's a good price and value. I think Samsung actually did the manufacturing (could be wrong on that) and they have a good rep.

One nice thing about the Nook is that you can bring it in to your local Barnes and Noble store and get help with it, talk to somebody face to face, etc.

I have the kindle fire and I really like it . It's fast , responsive and loads library books with one click . I am actually thinking of getting the newer version . It is such a pleasure to just travel with a little gadget that I toss in my purse . Best $199 I have spent on technology .

I have the basic Kindle. For reading books, it's fantastic. I don't think it is good for anything else, but then I haven't tried anything else.

There is a site that sends me an email every day, alerting me to free or cheap books for the Kindle. If the free ones look at all interesting, I get them. Right now, I've got about 30 unread ones. The majority of the free ones have been pretty good and one even caused me to buy a couple of the author's other books.

The KIndle is great for just reading.

I have the Nook but I have been tempted to get a Nexus 7 because it is an open Android platform. On the open platform you could install readers from both Kindle and Nook if you want to be able to buy books. I get all my ebooks from the library. I have not seen the newer digital ink ereaders with side lighting but they sound nice for people who want a very light device for reading only.

I have the Nook but I have been tempted to get a Nexus 7 because it is an open Android platform. On the open platform you could install readers from both Kindle and Nook if you want to be able to buy books. I get all my ebooks from the library. I have not seen the newer digital ink ereaders with side lighting but they sound nice for people who want a very light device for reading only.

I have a nook color and you can install the android OS on an SD card (or buy an SD card preloaded with android from Amazon) which turns your nook into a basic tablet. With that you can install all the e-reader apps or any other apps available from the Google store. It works well and it doesn't void any warranty, just remove the SD card and your back to a basic nook color. Not sure but believe you can do it to other nook models with an SD card slot.

Thanks for all the input. We will see what Google announces on Oct. 29th for pricing and feature and then decide between one of these three.

Am not much into tablets, but when BigLots offered the "7S" Nextbook for $79.95, I gave it a try... especially since it offered the Ice Cream Sandwich Adroid 4.0 operating system...
On the face of it, a cheap way to experiment. Lots of oddball things on cheap tablet, and this was no different.. A resistive screen, rather than capacitive... easier to use a stylus rather than finger touch... Also... the firmware does not support Google Play, where most of the apps are.
I flashed the ROM memory firmware to allow Google stuff. Worked fine, but always a possibility that you can "brick" the computer.

Just playing around with some of the apps, I downloaded Skype, and was stunned as I opened it up and with a single click was talking with a friend in Canada... unintentionally... Didn't even know the tablet had a mike, speakers, and a camera... I guess Google synced it all.

Anyway, for reading books... no problem.. I had to supply the SD memory (32 gig), but the onboard memory would be sufficient for most stuff.

So... I won't use it except to play with, or leave in the car. In any case, dropping an $80 tablet would cause me less grief than $200 to $700...

BTW... How do people carry a 7" tablet? Serious question.

I have a Nexus 7 16GB and a 1st gen Kindle. I still prefer Kindle for reading books for hours at the time because of its matte glare free screen. Not that reading Nexus is much worse just slight preference for Kindle and since they are so compact and light I take both when I travel. Overall I'm extremely happy with the Nexus. I paid $249 and got $25 credit for Google Play, so really cost me just $224. The usefulness much exceeds my expectations. I have downloaded about 50 apps from Google Play and am having lots of fun learning and using them. Still after installing 50 apps I have more than half of the memory available. I don't download movies or music into the memory - only stream them with WiFi. I use Nexus for viewing pictures but store them in a cloud drive which works just fine for me. I really have not had any need for access to SD card.

Am not much into tablets, but when BigLots offered the "7S" Nextbook for $79.95, I gave it a try...

BTW... How do people carry a 7" tablet? Serious question.

BL can have some bargains, but make sure to read the fine print. I have found much of there electronics are discontinued models and refurbs. I've seen new ones for the same thing cheaper than their "sale" price.

I also wanted one just to experiment with. I ended up with this one, got it from amazon for less than $100, http://www.uplaytablet.com/ainol-no...-ips-hd-screen-1gb-ram-camera-hdmi-white-8gb/,

One reason I picked this one is there is an active developer site for it with upgrades. I have already flashed the ROM to android 4.1 JellyBean, googleplay installed and rooted. Interesting to play with, I guess something like this might be useful if traveling all the time or in waiting room. I does fit easily in a coat pocket.

I have (had) a playbook that I got for free at a work conference. It is okay for light browsing and kinda great media playback. Its been misplaced in the house (kids? me? not sure I've looked everywhere). But really the only thing I used it for was when I traveled for work. Given the toy like nature if I replace it, it will only be on the cheap. I am hoping the $99 nexus 7 comes to be. I am inclined to be skeptical of the nook, but the new one with a high rez screen and an SD card looks pretty sweet. The company's seem to want to rip people off for more GB and keep leaving a card reader out. The $40 HDMI dongle seems lame though. I have it in my mind that I might use it in a hotel room from time-to-time on a trip, after disabling the hotel's gear that might lock down the HDMI port.

I like the 7" form factor on planes. If it gets bigger I'd just assume have a laptop. I carry one anyways.

FYI, Barnes and Noble has just reduce the prices on two of its NOOKs.

Less than three months have passed since the Nook Color and Nook Tablet saw a price drop, but Barnes & Noble is cutting the prices of its e-reader tablets again. The Nook Color will now cost just $139, while the 8GB and 16GB Nook Tablets will set you back $159 and $179, respectively. The new prices represent a $10 saving for the Nook Color and $20 savings for both Nook Tablets.

Back
Top Bottom