Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think I'm the only football fan in the world who actively dislikes fantasy football. I have to watch NFL games alone now because I'm tired of being around people rooting for players instead of teams. But maybe that's just me.
Makes no sense to me either. And I'm amazed at how much attention the fantasy aspect gets in the media.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The media is going to jump all over whatever people want to see and people absolutely LOVE fantasy football. In my opinion, nothing has boosted NFL interest and boosted TV ratings more than fantasy football.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Makes no sense to me either. And I'm amazed at how much attention the fantasy aspect gets in the media.
You (and the others that are football but not fantasy fans) probably have a team to root for. I used to, but they up and moved, and I didn't just switch loyalties to their eventual replacement. It used to be easy to follow a team, but between free agency and team relocations I find it a little hard to find a team to really root for. So since I still like to watch football, fantasy gives me a reason. Plus it's fun to match wits, luck, and trash talk with old friends for a season.

Although I too find the intrusion of fantasy into the games a little annoying. I think they could just leave it out and we could do our thing after the games. It's not like we need the scrolling stats on TV. Our computers do real time scoring and updates.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
I know. I have 2 days to say " it was only one game"

We will see. I have some hope......
I remember playing football in grade school against this team that was undefeated and had these huge players and some of them were sporting beards. At the coin flip I will never forget one of them grabbed my facemask and said they were going to score on the kickoff......Sure enough this big kid runs the ball back for a touchdown and nobody even touched him. We lost that day 44-0. Kind of makes me feel how the Bears stack up against the 49ers.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #85
gone traveling

Cowboys win, defense looks good, OL good, Murray had a big day running. Romo, no disasters, but still needs to throw the ball better IMO.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Cowboys win, defense looks good, OL good, Murray had a big day running. Romo, no disasters, but still needs to throw the ball better IMO.
Well, I think Romo also needs to throw the ball *less*. Murray was running well against SF last week, too -- but for some reason the Cowboys wanted to pass a lot more than they needed to. Those interceptions were the biggest difference in the outcome.

Yes, they need to get the passing game working better to keep defenses honest... but right now Murray is more than getting it done.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Today we see if the Texans can tie their win streak of last year (2 games). That was the total number of wins last year also.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, I think Romo also needs to throw the ball *less*.
Right, they did throw less, but Romo's accuracy was not all that good. When I said better, I was referring to accuracy. I am still afraid, if he does start to throw better they will move away from the run. Hope I'm wrong.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Today we see if the Texans can tie their win streak of last year (2 games). That was the total number of wins last year also.
Well it looks like they are going to win "again" (late 3rd quarter at the time I'm writing this). I guess to get their 100 million out of JJ Watt they are going to play him on the offense as well as the defense now. He made his 1st offensive touchdown today.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Well it looks like they are going to win "again" (late 3rd quarter at the time I'm writing this). I guess to get their 100 million out of JJ Watt they are going to play him on the offense as well as the defense now. He made his 1st offensive touchdown today.
JJ is the "man" here in H-Town! It's hard to turn on the TV to a local station without seeing a JJ Watt commercial for Verizon, H.E.B., Ford, etc.

It's all good when the team is winning! In case you haven't seen the Primo Kitchen commercial, here it is:

http://youtu.be/wKdSSeTdL6k
Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #91

For the last 10 years or so, there has been at least one team that went from worst to first, meaning the team finished last in their division in one year, then won the division the next year.

In 2013 there was a tie for last in the NFC South, so there were nine last place teams.

After two weeks, those nine last place teams have a 9-9 record.

Of the nine victories, four came against other teams on the list that finished last in the division standings last year, including both of the Texans' victories. One more came against Jacksonville, 4-12 for third in the AFC South last year and definitely worse than some of the last-place teams.

Only two victories have come against teams with 2013 winning records. (Uh-oh, Saints fans...both of them were against New Orleans.)

The balancing of the schedule is one of the subtle, under-appreciated great things about the NFL. It gives those of us who follow mediocre or poor teams reason for hope.

Anyone care to guess which of the 2013 last-place teams has the best chance to win their division in 2014?

Here's where they stand after Week Two:

Houston 2-0
Buffalo 2-0
Cleveland 1-1
Oakland 0-2
Washington 1-1
Minnesota 1-1
Tampa Bay 0-2
Atlanta 1-1
St. Louis 1-1
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Anyone care to guess which of the 2013 last-place teams has the best chance to win their division in 2014?

Here's where they stand after Week Two:

Houston 2-0
Buffalo 2-0
Cleveland 1-1
Oakland 0-2
Washington 1-1
Minnesota 1-1
Tampa Bay 0-2
Atlanta 1-1
St. Louis 1-1
I'll pick Buffalo.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

All the people who were so down on the Bears feeling better now? I wasn't so down on them after week one, as the first 2 weeks are always crazy. Besides I have no choice but to stay positive because I have betting ticket on their season win over total.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Yep I'm feeling better now. That was a great game - for the bears.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Holy Cow! I almost turned the TV off before halftime.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yep I'm feeling better now. That was a great game - for the bears.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Allways good when your stars play like stars. Who is 23!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Holy Cow! I almost turned the TV off before halftime.
Desire.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #98

The rag other known as the Chicago Tribune sports columnist's all picked Bears to win vs. Bills.....then all picked the 49ers to win...
Old 09-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #99

Da Bears!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'll pick Buffalo.
Not a bad pick. Both of their victories have come against teams with 8-8 records in 2013. But I hear that New England team might be pretty good...

I like Atlanta's chances. They are in the same division as the 0-2 Bucs and Saints.

Another interesting stat:

Since 1990, the odds of making the playoffs after 2 games:
  • 2-0 - 63%
  • 1-1 - 41%
  • 0-2 - 12%
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote