Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My gut says this is Peyton's last year, but I'm frequently wrong. I don't think he'll resurface on another team. Who knows maybe post playoffs he'll ER!
If he doesn't win the superbowl for this season, (he wants two SB wins) I suspect he will suffer from the OMY syndrome, again.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #802
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
If he doesn't win the superbowl for this season, (he wants two SB wins) I suspect he will suffer from the OMY syndrome, again.

Here would be the reality he will face if he does.... Favre got millions shoved in his face to continue. Heck the Rams even tried to get him to QB a year after he retired. Nobody is going to shove that kind of money his way to continue. He is too broken down to risk big money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #803
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
JIMO, the current system is working just fine.... only one 10 win team did not make it and they could have won their last game to go....
Agree, I don't see an issue with the current system and don't see a need for a change. Winning your division is a main goal for the season and over time, I think the weaker and stronger divisions sort themselves out.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #804
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Here would be the reality he will face if he does.... Favre got millions shoved in his face to continue. Heck the Rams even tried to get him to QB a year after he retired. Nobody is going to shove that kind of money his way to continue. He is too broken down to risk big money.

I think he wants another SB so bad, he'd take "another" cut in pay to try again, "if "he doesn't win the SB this year. However, I don't think he'd be happy playing as a backup, so that could be the real issue for him. As far as money, he has already taken a "small pay cut" this season (~4m) which is peanuts for him off his base salary. Heck, forget the base salary, he's making between 10 and 15m a year just in endorsements. Most of us could live pretty well just on his sideline income.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #805
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think he wants another SB so bad, he'd take "another" cut in pay to try again, "if "he doesn't win the SB this year. However, I don't think he'd be happy playing as a backup, so that could be the real issue for him. As far as money, he took a "small cut" this year (~4m) which is peanuts for him off his base salary. Heck, forget the base salary, he's making between 10 and 15m a year just in endorsements. Most of us could live pretty well just on his sideline income.

I hope he doesn't follow through. He got to do his "Joe Montana" second act thing relatively good in Denver. He runs the risk of doing a "Johnny Unitas" act next year. I have no memory of Johnny U being a good QB. My only memories of him was being pitiful as a Charger and getting benched.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #806
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I hope he doesn't follow through. He got to do his "Joe Montana" second act thing relatively good in Denver. He runs the risk of doing a "Johnny Unitas" act next year. I have no memory of Johnny U being a good QB. My only memories of him was being pitiful as a Charger and getting benched.

Now that's a different story. He's not the Peyton Manning of a few years ago. No argument there. However, he's still pretty good, IMO. He may not be the passer he once was but I doubt there are many playing the game that can read a defense and adjust as well. BTW, I agree, Denver needs to think about their future after Peyton, no matter if that is next season or the year after. They need another world class "potential" QB to take his place, soon.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #807
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Now that's a different story. He's not the Peyton Manning of a few years ago. No argument there. However, he's still pretty good, IMO. He may not be the passer he once was but I doubt there are many playing the game that can read a defense and adjust as well. BTW, I agree, Denver needs to think about their future after Peyton, no matter if that is next season or the year after. They need another world class "potential" QB to take his place, soon.
Thats the problem. Osweiler is a free agent and will get large offers to be a starter somewhere. Theres no way Denver can resign him AND keep Manning. Not with a salary cap. So if they keep Manning to make one more run at a SB with him, they lose Osweiler and the next year they will have neither of them. Usually that ends with a 10 year stretch of horrible football.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #808
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Thats the problem. Osweiler is a free agent and will get large offers to be a starter somewhere. Theres no way Denver can resign him AND keep Manning. Not with a salary cap. So if they keep Manning to make one more run at a SB with him, they lose Osweiler and the next year they will have neither of them. Usually that ends with a 10 year stretch of horrible football.
Agree, that is a problem. However, even if Peyton would agree to take a huge pay cut, (he doesn't need his base salary anyway) so they can keep Osweiler, he (Osweiler) may not stay if he's told he's going to warm the bench.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #809
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agree that is a problem. However, even if Peyton would agree to take a huge pay cut, (he doesn't need his base salary anyway) so they can keep Osweiler, he (Osweiler) may not stay if he's told he's going to warm the bench.
That would be what I think. Osweiler won't likely stay if he's going to remain a backup in Denver, so if the Broncos view him as their future at QB, they probably can't keep Manning around past this year.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That would be what I think. Osweiler won't likely stay if he's going to remain a backup in Denver, so if the Broncos view him as their future at QB, they probably can't keep Manning around past this year.
I can't think of a more capable pair to make this decision than Gary Kubiak and John Elway. They both have experience on the other side of the negotiations and emotions. Elway has said his goal is to have a playoff contender every year. Not just the next year. So far, I think he has done a pretty good job in this area.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #811
Give me a forum ...

"C'Mon man"....

Should NFL retire sexy cheerleaders? | CW39 NewsFix

I certainly hope the Dallas Cowboys don't ever consider this!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #812
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Another thing that needs to change but wont due to money. The kickoff. Its the most useless play in football. A complete waste of time. The vast majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and nothing happens. When the ball does get returned its almost always within a few yards of the 20 anyway. They moved the extra point back (which used to be the most boring play in football) to add some excitement to the game since nobody ever missed and now more teams go for 2 points, but they will never eliminate the most boring play in football because there is a commercial before a kickoff and then another one after the kickoff.
Don't tell the KC Chiefs that.... 106 yard Kickoff return for a touchdown to start the playoffs...
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #813
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Don't tell the KC Chiefs that.... 106 yard Kickoff return for a touchdown to start the playoffs...
1st play of the game, "and" it took them 11 seconds to score.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #814
Give me a forum ...

I remember when the Texans drafted Clowney with the overall #1 pick and I thought they were dumb to pick him instead of Bridgewater when they really had a big QB problem more than anything else.

Clowney has been a zero. Houston's QBs have been mostly terrible and never worse than today. I have to think they would have been an 11-12 win team that would be feared with that defense, if they had Bridgewater at QB instead of the fetid wreckage they have been trotting out all year (and won 9 games despite it).

That defense deserves a LOT better. Ignore today's point total by KC. Some of that was special teams, some of that was short field caused by QB turnovers, much of that was giving up after Watt was injured. They deserved a helluva lot better. And if Houston doesn't go ALL IN this off-season to address the QB fiasco, there may be a mutiny in the fan base.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #815
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another thing that needs to change but wont due to money. The kickoff. Its the most useless play in football. A complete waste of time. The vast majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and nothing happens. When the ball does get returned its almost always within a few yards of the 20 anyway. They moved the extra point back (which used to be the most boring play in football) to add some excitement to the game since nobody ever missed and now more teams go for 2 points, but they will never eliminate the most boring play in football because there is a commercial before a kickoff and then another one after the kickoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
and seven kickoff returns for touchdowns in 2015 regular season, more than in 2014. I saw an opening kickoff return once at a NE Patriots pre-season game.... pretty exciting.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #816

Since it's the 50th Super Bowl I vote that KC and Green Bay play again. Can't say I'm counting on it but getting a post season win after all these years is a good start.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #817
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Houston's QBs have been mostly terrible and never worse than today.
+1 KC should vote Brian Hoyer as "their" MVP.

Quote:
Ignore today's point total by KC.
I wish I could - Typical Houston team.

Quote:
And if Houston doesn't go ALL IN this off-season to address the QB fiasco, there may be a mutiny in the fan base.
And rightfully so.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #818

7 whole kickoff returns for TDs? Out of how many kick off returns. The other 99% are boring and a waste of time.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #819
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
7 whole kickoff returns for TDs? Out of how many kick off returns. The other 99% are boring and a waste of time.

Maybe only 7 TDs but many more long returns. I can't see why you want to eliminate the kickoff. If you think it's boring why not modify the rules to make it more exciting. What would you propose if it is eliminated, spot the ball on the 20 YD line?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #820
Give me a forum ...

Can't believe what Cincinnati did to themselves.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote