Join Early Retirement Today

NFL: 2016 Season
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2016 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
My $1k this week was on the Texans, so I guess I should thank the Bears for this one. Neither team was impressive. Brock Osweiler (who is making well over 1 million per game this year) was intercepted on his first series of plays. Overall, the Texans looked better in all their pre-season games than they did today, but somehow still won the game. I'll need to seriously reconsider future wagers on these guys.

The money is in your pocket Car-guy... NFL is never about style points as you well know as a bettor. Congrats!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm just hoping that Jimmy Garoppolo shows the same poise (and result) on Sunday for the Patriots.
Jimmy G. looked good last night . I know it would have been easier with Brady but so much for the talk about Belichick can't win without him. He is 12-5 without Brady.....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Jimmy G. looked good last night . I know it would have been easier with Brady but so much for the talk about Belichick can't win without him. He is 12-5 without Brady.....
Agree. I was telling some of my football friends that I hope the Patriots win their first four games without Brady. That might take some hot "air" out of him and not his footballs.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I didn't watch the entire game but did watch the first couple of possessions with Jimmy G. and the Cardinals' attempt at the winning FG. Jimmy G. looked smooth on that first TD drive. He's definitely an adequate sub while Brady is out.

As for the game itself, funny how teams try and cut costs by having new snapper or kicker or holder only to have that cost costing come back to bite them.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My $1k this week was on the Texans, so I guess I should thank the Bears for this one. Neither team was impressive. Brock Osweiler (who is making well over 1 million per game this year) was intercepted on his first series of plays. Overall, the Texans looked better in all their pre-season games than they did today, but somehow still won the game. I'll need to seriously reconsider future wagers on these guys.
that was a bold wager
Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... I'm just hoping that Jimmy Garoppolo shows the same poise (and result) on Sunday for the Patriots.
Yes, I thought Garoppolo played well last night... in his best interest as I seem to recall this is the next to last year of his contract so it is good for him to increase the value of his stock for either a renewal or trade.

Actually, a bit of a lucky win but even if the snap had been better from what the commentators said that FG attempt was at the outside end of that kicker's range... but even a luck win is a win.

http://www.businessinsider.com/patri...ontract-2016-9

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #107

Quote:
Yes, I thought Garoppolo played well last night... in his best interest as I seem to recall this is the next to last year of his contract so it is good for him to increase the value of his stock for either a renewal or trade.

Actually, a bit of a lucky win but even if the snap had been better from what the commentators said that FG attempt was at the outside end of that kicker's range... but even a luck win is a win.

If Patriots keep Garoppolo, 2017 could be Brady's last in New England - Business Insider
The Patriots' win against a healthy Cardinals team most insiders picked to make the SB without Brady, Gronk and three starters on the offensive line make it an impressive coaching job by Belichick.

As for the article, the Pats will trade Jimmy G. at the end of the season for substantial draft picks and his performance over the next three games will dictate his market value. Brady will be their starting QB for the next few years in my opinion but Belichick may surprise everyone.......
Old 09-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
that was a bold wager
The game has changed a lot in the past few years and most of my heros in the game have retired. If I don't bet, I really don't get into the games as much as I did even just a few years ago. Same thing has been happening to my favorite sporting event (NASCAR) in the past few years. I'm actually betting on fewer games and races this year and that seems to be tracking with my level of interest.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The game has changed a lot in the past few years and most of my heros in the game have retired. If I don't bet, I really don't get into the games as much as I did even just a few years ago. Same thing has been happening to my favorite sporting event (NASCAR) in the past few years. I'm actually betting on fewer games and races this year and that seems to be tracking with my level of interest.

Yep.... Without a little cash on the games, my interest level drops significantly....
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a dentist appointment this Friday. My dentist is a diehard Cleveland Browns fan. Is there anything I can say to cheer him up before he does a checkup?
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #111
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubill View Post
I have a dentist appointment this Friday. My dentist is a diehard Cleveland Browns fan. Is there anything I can say to cheer him up before he does a checkup?
Tell him Manziel is coming back
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Patriots' win against a healthy Cardinals team most insiders picked to make the SB without Brady, Gronk and three starters on the offensive line make it an impressive coaching job by Belichick.

As for the article, the Pats will trade Jimmy G. at the end of the season for substantial draft picks and his performance over the next three games will dictate his market value. Brady will be their starting QB for the next few years in my opinion but Belichick may surprise everyone.......
Don't forget that the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as their QB in the year Brady went down in Game 1. Think about it. MATT CASSEL. 11-5.

The Belichick system doesn't require an elite QB -- just one that works well with the system and doesn't turn the ball over too much. A mediocre QB who is a good "game manager" and avoids stupid decisions will win 10-11 games.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You don't bet on the Texans for their offense.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw_m5 View Post
tell him manziel is coming back
images-2.jpeg
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Don't forget that the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as their QB in the year Brady went down in Game 1. Think about it. MATT CASSEL. 11-5.

The Belichick system doesn't require an elite QB -- just one that works well with the system and doesn't turn the ball over too much. A mediocre QB who is a good "game manager" and avoids stupid decisions will win 10-11 games.
This is exactly my point which I referenced in Post #102. We've had posters in the past who stated repeatedly that Belichick wins games because of Brady which is not true. Brady helps the team win the extra two or three games needed to make the playoffs and advance to the championship games and the SB.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #116

Can someone tell me how does Jeff Fisher keep his job as an NFL head coach? He made the SB once back in 1999 and lost. He has not won a playoff game since 2003 and his 1st pick in the draft Goff is in street clothes on the sidelines which is the second time ever that a first pick QB does not start a first game (Jemarcus Russell was the first).

The Rams were also talking about extending his contract after a 27-37 record as their head coach

Is this what the people in LA waited for for so long? A 28-0 loss to the 49ers?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Hey! You try beating a team that has Joe Montana and Jerry Rice...what? Blaine Gabbert and Carlos Hyde? Who the hell are they?

I agree, his coaching sucked. But really, if you can take 10 of your guys and tell them to stick on Todd Gurley, and the other guy can cover Tavon Austin, how can you lose? I can't wait to see what clever adjustments Fisher makes for next weeks game against...the Seahawks? Oh dear. Oh well, just testing my ability to be a loyal fan through thin and thinner.
NFL Power Rankings: Week 2
Old 09-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #118

1. NE
  2. DEN
  3. GB
  4. PIT
  5. SEA
  6. CAR
  7. ARI
  8. CIN
  9. KC
  10. MIN
  11. HOU
  12. OAK
  13. TB
  14. NYJ
  15. NYG
  16. BAL
  17. DET
  18. JAX
  19. DAL
  20. MIA
  21. WAS
  22. BUF
  23. PHI
  24. SF
  25. IND
  26. TEN
  27. NO
  28. ATL
  29. SD
  30. CHI
  31. LA
  32. CLE
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
  1. NE
  2. DEN
  3. GB
  4. PIT
  5. SEA
  6. CAR
  7. ARI
  8. CIN
  9. KC
  10. MIN
  11. HOU
  12. OAK
  13. TB
  14. NYJ
  15. NYG
  16. BAL
  17. DET
  18. JAX
  19. DAL
  20. MIA
  21. WAS
  22. BUF
  23. PHI
  24. SF
  25. IND
  26. TEN
  27. NO
  28. ATL
  29. SD
  30. CHI
  31. LA
  32. CLE
Interesting that the first two QBs had no experience at until this week.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Can someone tell me how does Jeff Fisher keep his job as an NFL head coach? He made the SB once back in 1999 and lost. He has not won a playoff game since 2003 and his 1st pick in the draft Goff is in street clothes on the sidelines which is the second time ever that a first pick QB does not start a first game (Jemarcus Russell was the first).

The Rams were also talking about extending his contract after a 27-37 record as their head coach

Is this what the people in LA waited for for so long? A 28-0 loss to the 49ers?
I still don't get why they would bench their #1 pick and the number 1 for the whole draft Maybe Fisher is just being old school but that just doesn't make a lot of sense these days. But it's not like he could have done much worse and at least he'd get to see plays run at full speed. And apparently he's going to be in street clothes for the next game? Maybe Fisher is trying to get fired?