Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post... they should make Gostkowski walk back to New England. He certainly didn't "do his job" yesterday.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Da Bears defense snuffed out the rams. But they need better qb play than they had tonight in order to take it to the next level.
Going into the game, I actually thought the Bears would lose as they tend to give up big plays and the Rams are a big play team. But nice to see the Bears' defense played the entire 60 minutes of the game instead of giving up plenty of 4th quarter points.

Da Bears showed a few things. They can play with anyone, yet at the same time they can lose to anyone and have trouble closing out games. Their clock management is still terrible (why take 3 knees and punt to give the ball back?). Oh, and coach Nagy is the king of trick plays .
NFL: 2018 Season
Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

NFL: 2018 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
.....Oh, and coach Nagy is the king of trick plays [emoji23].
+1

I read that the Bears lineup on the field for the touchdown pass to Sowell totaled 3288 lbs. Everyone on the field for the Bears on that play weighed more than 290 lbs except for Trubisky.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I read that the Bears lineup on the field for the touchdown pass to Sowell totaled 3288 lbs. Everyone on the field for the Bears on that play weighed more than 290 lbs except for Trubisky.
Plus, I was dying to see the play that didn't happen because the ref got knocked down and play stopped as they were switching players on and off the field.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Da Bears defense snuffed out the rams. But they need better qb play than they had tonight in order to take it to the next level.
It's a testament to just how good the Bears D is that even with 3 picks by trubiskey, they could beat the best team in football. If trubiskey wasn't out for two weeks and coming back from injury, they could have blown them out.

This win will grow them as a team, no doubt.
As Nagy said after: "For them to go out and do it (against) a team that had only one loss all year long ... is so powerful for our guys now because it helps us grow," Nagy said. "It helps us grow with confidence. It helps us grow togetherness. When you teach that and you talk about it over and over and over -- as a culture, as a building, everyone together as a family -- and then they do it, it lights a fire. It puts us in a great position. We do talk about one game at a time. They're gonna enjoy tonight and then we're gonna get right back in it and get ready for next week."

BEAR DOWN
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #146
gone traveling

Pinch me, I must be dreaming seeing how the Cowboys have turned the season around. Anyhow, I am not overly optimistic that this will continue, especially with the OL suffering so many injuries.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’m sure Bears fans are elated, but judging from the highlights it looked ugly, glad I didn’t watch. QB’s combined for 7 interceptions, 1 TD, both about 50% completions with QB ratings of Trubisky 24.8 and Goff 13.1, worst of the week other than Sanchez - pitiful.

The last play of the Patriots v Dolphins game was really hard to watch too. Time for Gronk to retire and sell Tide Pods.
Just shows defense can still win championships. Trubisky was rusty from layoff. Jared Goff looked like the deer eyes in the headlights
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Have been a Washington fan since they hired Lombardi. Went through an addictive euphoria in the 80's, but have been depressed for maybe 20 plus years. Had a glimmer of hope when RGII was drafted. With the injuries this year, I wonder whether the team is just cursed.

I keep reading about empty seats at aging Fedex field and around the NFL. Plus anecdotal evidence of decreasing viewership. Is this a thing or is that just hype?
It's real. Tickets were available for $11 pregame. They have not sold out a game this year AFAIK.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Pinch me, I must be dreaming seeing how the Cowboys have turned the season around. Anyhow, I am not overly optimistic that this will continue, especially with the OL suffering so many injuries.
Cheer up. Skins and Eagles have more.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #150

Life long Bear fan here. This season is somewhat reminds me of 1984. Their D looks great but imo could even get better next year barring any injuries or free agent losses.

Regarding the offense, trick plays are fun but in order to be a premier offense, Trubisky needs to be more consistent and they need to run Howard more between the tackles. Last night was Howard's best game this year as the O line actually looked good (for the 1st time this year) blocking for him.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #151

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Life long Bear fan here. This season is somewhat reminds me of 1984. Their D looks great but imo could even get better next year barring any injuries or free agent losses.
They will have a hard time keeping Fangio
Old 12-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Regarding the offense, trick plays are fun but in order to be a premier offense, Trubisky needs to be more consistent and they need to run Howard more between the tackles. Last night was Howard's best game this year as the O line actually looked good (for the 1st time this year) blocking for him.
This Bears team reminds me more of the 2006 team than 1984. 1984 team was so dominant in all phases of the game, and with Payton still the key offensive player. 2006 team, like this year their defense made up (until the SB loss to the Colts) for some of the short comings of the offense.

Good Rex/Bad Rex vs Good Mitchell/Bad Mitchell. See the comparison? .
Old 12-11-2018, 06:06 AM   #153
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Or the missed extra point and the missed 42 yard field goal....

But the offense scored 33 points and deserved a better result if the defense held its own.
Offense left points on the field, special teams left points on the field, defense couldn't stop the run in the first half and seemingly didn't play the last play of the game. Conservative play calling on the last drive, etc.. Overall, a team lose.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by db79 View Post
Offense left points on the field, special teams left points on the field, defense couldn't stop the run in the first half and seemingly didn't play the last play of the game. Conservative play calling on the last drive, etc.. Overall, a team lose.

The Pats can't rely solely on Brady and the offense to score 40 points to win. Belichick's defense has been abysmal in the last couple of years. They were gashed in the SB by the Eagles and have been below average. He needs to fix the defense and get rid of the kicker who gags in clutch situations if they hope to make it to another SB.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #155
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
The Pats can't rely solely on Brady and the offense to score 40 points to win. Belichick's defense has been abysmal in the last couple of years. There were gashed in the SB by the Eagles and have been below average. He needs to fix the defense and get rid of the kicker who gags in clutch situations if they hope to make it to another SB.
Yes, you wouldn't expect to put up 40 points and still lose. But, this season is on pace for the highest average points scored, which is in part being fueled by the NFL's offense skewed rules. Overall, the Pat's defense has been subpar for a number of years placing the weight on the offense to put up the big numbers.

Gostkowski's stats for this season are still fair with only missing field goals from 40+ yds out. I don't recall him missing any clutch kicks this year yet?
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by db79 View Post

Gostkowski's stats for this season are still fair with only missing field goals from 40+ yds out. I don't recall him missing any clutch kicks this year yet?

His field goal accuracy dropped to 82% this year from 92% last year. His career average is 87%

His problems started in last year's playoffs when he missed 1 extra point and 2 field goals in 3 games.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #157

Quote:

No
Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #158

Quote:
This Bears team reminds me more of the 2006 team than 1984. 1984 team was so dominant in all phases of the game, and with Payton still the key offensive player. 2006 team, like this year their defense made up (until the SB loss to the Colts) for some of the short comings of the offense.

While I admit I was excited when the Bears got Rex, I was soon disappointed. I know this might sound goofy - but Rex fumbled way too often and he looked very hesitant to recover his own fumble. Mitch, at this juncture, is still kind of rough around the edges but compared to Rex, he is Dick Butkus. Rex looked like a deer being shot at. I still believe Mitch is only going to get much better as long as he can stay healthy. Rex, early on, was always hurt.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While I admit I was excited when the Bears got Rex, I was soon disappointed. I know this might sound goofy - but Rex fumbled way too often and he looked very hesitant to recover his own fumble. Mitch, at this juncture, is still kind of rough around the edges but compared to Rex, he is Dick Butkus. Rex looked like a deer being shot at. I still believe Mitch is only going to get much better as long as he can stay healthy. Rex, early on, was always hurt.
I was a big Rex fan. Unfortunately, one game (SB loss) defined his career. Looking back, had the Bears used Orton to game manage instead of Rex and his gun slinging during the SB, they may have won. Their defense was that good. But who knows, they may have lost anyhow to Manning and the Colts.

The main similarity between Rex and Mitch I say is both toss the ball up for grabs many times and Mitch has ups and downs. Some games he struggles, others he looks like a real franchise QB.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #160

Ahhh well. I have to give it to Rivers and the Chargers. The Chiefs defense just didn’t get it done. At least on the last drive, too many mistakes, too many penalties.

Tags
2018, football, nfl, season