Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mahomes has a great future ahead of him. If KC improves its defense and if he stays healthy he will win a SB in the future.

Andy Reid fails again in the playoffs
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Wonder if the winner of this year's Super Bowl will have to get an asterisk by their win?

The Saints plain and simple should be the ones in the Super Bowl. Rams are a good team, but they won due to absolutely terrible officiating.

Agree also that the NFL OT rule does not even give the other team a chance makes it so the coin flip becomes more a factor than the actual playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Will not be watching the SB , I feel the NFL MUST correct this officiating . I predicted Rams VS Pats earlier and sure enough because of terrible calls these teams win . How could refs miss the call on the Saints unprotected receiver . The NFL has been working on trying to make the game safer . Tommy gets a roughing the passer call on a third and nine . Someway some how the Pats always get the calls . Even after the NFL apologizes again and again .
The SB will be won by LA , the NFL wants to nurture the LA fan market . There will be tons of feel good stories on the Cali. fires and how much the Rams mean to the area . During the season I watched twice as a Browns fan as two games were so poorly officiated that we lost games and the NFL apologized . I say if players can be suspended so should officials …….No accountability.
Heck Roger Goodell makes 44m a year make him accountable
The NFL even called the Saints' coach, Sean Payton, to apologize and told him "we messed up", that officials made a mistake. But this isn't the first time. Even high school football has better officiating than this. The Saints are a Big Deal here in New Orleans, so the entire city is just reeling. For example Harry Connick Jr. announced that he is not only boycotting the Superbowl, but also never attending another NFC game unless changes are made.

I don't even watch football at all, and here I am posting about it! That's how much it affected the city.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #303

Been to games in NOLA and always had a great time . We travel as Browns fans and got invited to a Saints Tailgate party . The Saints had the game stolen and nobody cares within the NFL …………..Hey we will see you at Mardi Gras in March !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #304

The Los Angeles Times awarded the game ball to the NFL officials.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #305
Give me a forum ...

I saw a LA. eye doctor offering free eye exams to any NFL officials.

The officials in both games stunk, the Saints were impacted the most. That non-call should have been called any number of penalties.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Agreed, and I’m not surprised. Brady is a good guy despite the haters.

I’m a Pats fan, but Mahomes was the most impressive QB I watched this year. He will have his day - soon. I couldn’t sleep for a couple hours after the Monday night game between KC and the Rams, one of the greatest games I’ve ever seen!
That was a great game to watch. I thought the Pats' 1st half game plan against a high powered offense like the Chiefs, establishing the run game was beautiful.

Mahomes is the real deal. Even after Brady did his thing leaving about 38 seconds left, I knew the game was not over at that time. I was surprised the Chiefs didn't try one more shot at the end zone before going for OT. Would have been risky, but "Ya don't want to lose the coin toss!!"
Old 01-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I would have liked to see the Patriots lose. Said another way, I was rooting for the under dogs.
AFAIK, the Pats were the underdogs. Chiefs were favored by 3.
IMO, defence is the other half of the game. Coin toss or no, the Chief defence rolled over with 3, 3 and 10s.
[Full disclosure: our nephew works for the Pats]
Agree that Mahomes is awesome with a great future ahead of him
Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Mahomes has a great future ahead of him. If KC improves its defense and if he stays healthy he will win a SB in the future.

Andy Reid fails again in the playoffs
I was texting with a friend during the game and mentioned the Andy Reid curse. She had no idea what I was talking about.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
That was a great game to watch. I thought the Pats' 1st half game plan against a high powered offense like the Chiefs, establishing the run game was beautiful.

Mahomes is the real deal. Even after Brady did his thing leaving about 38 seconds left, I knew the game was not over at that time. I was surprised the Chiefs didn't try one more shot at the end zone before going for OT. Would have been risky, but "Ya don't want to lose the coin toss!!"
I'm glad you mentioned that, I also was surprised that they didn't take another shot at the end zone with 8 seconds left or whatever it was.

Mahomes has been very impressive each time I have seen him play... his ability to improvise should serve him well.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
AFAIK, the Pats were the underdogs. Chiefs were favored by 3.
IMO, defense is the other half of the game. Coin toss or no, the Chief defense rolled over with 3, 3 and 10s.
[Full disclosure: our nephew works for the Pats]
Agree that Mahomes is awesome with a great future ahead of him
The Pats are never really the underdogs.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #311
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm glad you mentioned that, I also was surprised that they didn't take another shot at the end zone with 8 seconds left or whatever it was.

Mahomes has been very impressive each time I have seen him play... his ability to improvise should serve him well.
Why risk an interception when you can force OT? Sure, Reid's a hero if they score, but imagine if it's picked off? I'd take the OT anytime in a game of that magnitude, at home yet.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Why risk an interception when you can force OT? Sure, Reid's a hero if they score, but imagine if it's picked off? I'd take the OT anytime in a game of that magnitude, at home yet.
Another risk I think if they try one more play and someone gets hurt w/o any time outs. Then isn't that a 10 second run off and game over? But I was still a bit surprised they didn't take the gamble.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #313
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Perfect example of why the OT rules need to change. KC never even got a chance on offense in OT. Doesn't make sense.
Their defense couldn't stop the Pats.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #314
gone traveling

Quote:
All those guys work too hard to have a game or a season come down to a coin flip.
It took a wee bit more than a coin flip to win that game.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #315
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I would have liked to see the Patriots lose. Said another way, I was rooting for the under dogs.
The Patriots were the underdogs.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #316
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I saw a LA. eye doctor offering free eye exams to any NFL officials.

The officials in both games stunk, the Saints were impacted the most. That non-call should have been called any number of penalties.
I suspect that the officials can probably afford their own eye exams after that missed call.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #317

Quote:

We had Andy Reid in Philly for many years. The one consistent fault was time management to include poorly burned timeouts. It did not surprise me that he had none left at the end of regulation when he needed it most.

Still, the killer to me was the guy that lined up off-sides on the interception play. That would have iced it.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
You have to pull out all the stops against the Pats. You never know what they are going to throw at you, like deflated footballs, tapes of your practices, etc.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #319

Quote:
Which play are you referring to in the second part?
The ball changed direction after hitting Edelman's arm. It should have been an interception. Balls do not change direction unless something causes them to change direction
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
The ball changed direction after hitting Edelman's arm. It should have been an interception. Balls do not change direction unless something causes them to change direction
Both quarterbacks are from here and I'm not rooting for either team. Just for a game where the outcome is determined by the player's abilities and not the refs calls
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, football, nfl, season