Join Early Retirement Today

NFL: 2020 Season
Old 03-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2020 Season

Tom Brady say he will not be re-signing as a Patriots.

Will be interesting to see if he is playing chicken with the Patriots or if this really is the end of the Brady/Pats era. Teams and players have changed their minds in the past.

Quote:
Tom Brady, widely regarded as the greatest quarterback in history, has said he will not be re-signing with the New England Patriots, ending one of the most successful partnerships in sports.

The 42-year-old has spent his entire NFL career with the Patriots, leading the franchise to six Super Bowl championships.

"I don't know what my football future holds but it is time for me to open a new stage," Brady posted on his social media accounts, in a statement entitled "Forever a Patriot."
Brady, who turns 43 this summer, will become an unrestricted free agent when free agency opens on Wednesday.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/sport...ntl/index.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I read the story the other day about Brady and Belichick meeting and Belichick saying the most they could offer him was around $15M it seemed like a slap in the face to Brady to me. For all he's done for the Patriots, even taking a reduced salary for years so they could sign other players, he certainly deserves a lot more than that even if he's past his prime. That being said I wish he would just retire, his legacy is set and he certainly doesn't need the money.

zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
When I read the story the other day about Brady and Belichick meeting and Belichick saying the most they could offer him was around $15M it seemed like a slap in the face to Brady to me. For all he's done for the Patriots, even taking a reduced salary for years so they could sign other players, he certainly deserves a lot more than that even if he's past his prime. That being said I wish he would just retire, his legacy is set and he certainly doesn't need the money.

Ah ... the old slap in the face offer. In that case, I really don't blame Brady for moving on.

I'm of the belief that it's better to w*rk at a place where appreciated for peanuts than at a place not appreciated for a ton of $$$.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

From my perspective on working all my life, I just can't understand why he doesn't retire. There is nothing else for him to prove, he owns most of the QB records, and is already universally acknowledged as the G.O.A.T.

There are other aspects of the game that he could be a huge benefit in.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

There are now numerous reports that Tom Brady will sign with the Tampa Bay Bucs tomorrow.

Darn... we moved to SWFL to get away from him in NE and then he has to follow us here. WTH?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #6

Tom Brady has had a legendary and exceptionally successful career. He should retire and bask in the glory. Please don't do a Brett Favre. (From a Seahawks fan.)
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

And apparently Philip Rivers is signing with Indianapolis. Guess they just love what they do.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have just officially divorced myself from the Houston Texans. After being a die-hard Oilers/Texans fan for decades I have had enough. The DeAndre Hopkins trade was the last straw. For several years everyone questioned the rationale of Bill O'Brien's job as a coach but at some point even the most loyal fan has got to say - enough is enough. I can't see any good outcome from this but more than that I am tired of being tired of the O'Brien formula - whether it be play calling of the past few years or failing to take advantage of the talent on the team he inherited from Kubiak it has let everyone scratching their heads.

I love the city of Houston, mostly based upon my experience of living in Montrose in the 70's, but as I age I am tired of being tired of this BS. Tired of wondering who/what needs to change.

Adios Mofo!!
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Brady agrees to sign with Tampa Bay

Quote:
Tom Brady didn't take long to determine his landing spot in the NFL.
The former New England Patriots quarterback agreed in principle to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a person with knowledge of the deal told USA TODAY Sports' Mike Jones. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been finalized and cannot be completed until the start of the league year on Wednesday.
NFL Network was first to report the news.
The deal is believed to be worth roughly $30 million per year, according to NFL Network.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cy/5074185002/
Old 03-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #10

Brady should retire as a Patriot.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This reminds me of when Joe Montana left the 49ers. At least back then, the 49ers had Steve Young to take Montana's place.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I watched Joe Montana as a Chief but I'll always remember him as SF.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agree... perhaps when he is ready to retire the Pats will sign him to a one-day contract so he can retire as a Patriot.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #14

In a way, it reminds me of Albert Pujols leaving the STL Cardinals. In STL he would have been a hero for ever. In CA, not so much. Of course, his leaving opened up money to keep Yadi Molina, which was probably the best thing for the Cardinals. So It Goes.

On a side note, While I respect Brady's talent, as a human being, not so much. Can't say the same about Pujols. He is a stand up guy that just made a bad decision, but still does charity work in STL. He is always welcomed here.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #15

It's official: Brady Signs with Bucs
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Certainly be strange to see Brady on another team. IMO, his legacy won't look quite the same. Franchise players leave their teams but usually under clearer circumstances (injury, decline, etc.). Personally don't understand the decision to leave over a 1yr contract difference. It seems the pats wanted to do 1yr deals with him. Maybe there's more to it or something about Brady that makes him tick.

fasteddie911 is offline   Reply With Quote