Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouthog View Post
Sherman is playing the crowds no dummy its good for ratings and the added color shows what competition is all about. Would you like to watch lay ups or some dunks in your face.
If he eats his words it still has some really good special spirit for the great super bowl. Hawks 34 Ponies 17
+1......I for one would love to see Manning on his derriere all afternoon
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Sherman needs treatment for a speech pathology problem. I cannot understand a word he says.
He has a 4.2 GPA from Stanford!
In communications...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In communications...
Well, if you've heard anything from him well after the game was over, it would make sense. He is very bright and well-spoken and chooses words carefully. He just utterly and completely lost it when he was jacked up on emotions and adrenaline. He was still in full-on trash-talk mode when the immediate post-game interview took place and hadn't come down to switch gears.

I think it's refreshing that he hasn't apologized about what he said regarding Crabtree -- which I take to mean that he still "owns" those words. All he apologized for was taking attention away from his team and what they accomplished, and placed almost all of it on him. I can respect that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #164
gone traveling

Until the Cowboy's market value (#1 franchise) takes a hit, Jerry has no incentive to disengage himself from his role as general manager. I just wish they would have a bad year in terms of merchandise, advertising and ticket sales and then maybe Jerry might get the message. Until then, Cowboys will continue to flounder in mediocrity. Even when Jerry kicks the bucket, you have Steven waiting in the wings, and I have no reason to believe he would be any different.

As for the last season, I was hoping they would lose more games to get higher draft pic, but they'd probably mess that up as well.

As to Romo, and although its always a crapshoot, IMHO, its time for the Cowboys to draft a young QB.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Until the Cowboy's market value (#1 franchise) takes a hit, Jerry has no incentive to disengage himself from his role as general manager. I just wish they would have a bad year in terms of merchandise, advertising and ticket sales and then maybe Jerry might get the message. Until then, Cowboys will continue to flounder in mediocrity. Even when Jerry kicks the bucket, you have Steven waiting in the wings, and I have no reason to believe he would be any different.

As for the last season, I was hoping they would lose more games to get higher draft pic, but they'd probably mess that up as well.

As to Romo, and although its always a crapshoot, IMHO, its time for the Cowboys to draft a young QB.
Yeah, going 8-8 or 9-7 and just missing the playoffs can sometimes suck more than going 2-14, especially where the draft is concerned. (Just ask the Colts, who were awful for one year and got Andrew Luck to show for it.) And the Cowboys have mastered missing the playoffs at 8-8. The entire Jerry Jones era, with a couple of significantly better and significantly worse exceptions, has been marked by remarkably consistent mediocrity.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Until the Cowboy's market value (#1 franchise) takes a hit, Jerry has no incentive to disengage himself from his role as general manager. I just wish they would have a bad year in terms of merchandise, advertising and ticket sales and then maybe Jerry might get the message. Until then, Cowboys will continue to flounder in mediocrity. Even when Jerry kicks the bucket, you have Steven waiting in the wings, and I have no reason to believe he would be any different. As for the last season, I was hoping they would lose more games to get higher draft pic, but they'd probably mess that up as well. As to Romo, and although its always a crapshoot, IMHO, its time for the Cowboys to draft a young QB.
Jerry has lost his mind. Just in effect demoted his offensive and defensive coordinators, promoted the line coach over Kiffin, and brought in another "play caller" to supersede the original demoted play caller (Garrett) and this years play caller (Callahan). When you break up with a girl you cut the cord completely, you don't feel sorry for her and let her tag along and watch you with another lady.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #167
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Jerry has lost his mind. Just in effect demoted his offensive and defensive coordinators, promoted the line coach over Kiffin, and brought in another "play caller" to supersede the original demoted play caller (Garrett) and this years play caller (Callahan). When you break up with a girl you cut the cord completely, you don't feel sorry for her and let her tag along and watch you with another lady.
Lost his mind, I didn't think he had one in a football sense in the first place. Nevertheless, he will still be directing the show through however many coaches he puts in place.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

I thought it would interesting to tally the votes in this thread. Then I realized there were still 8 teams at the time, not 4. Plus several "not XXX" comments. I gave up (told you about this laziness problem).

I will note that Mr Midpack made the correct prediction for SB teams wayyy back then.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I will note that Mr Midpack made the correct prediction for SB teams wayyy back then.
Good on him!

I'd also note that a fair number of people predicted a Falcons-Texans Super Bowl in August. These two teams finished a combined 6-26...
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I thought it would interesting to tally the votes in this thread. Then I realized there were still 8 teams at the time, not 4. Plus several "not XXX" comments. I gave up (told you about this laziness problem).

Oops! It was ripper1! But you were hot on the trail, Midpack!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, if you've heard anything from him well after the game was over, it would make sense. He is very bright and well-spoken and chooses words carefully. He just utterly and completely lost it when he was jacked up on emotions and adrenaline. He was still in full-on trash-talk mode when the immediate post-game interview took place and hadn't come down to switch gears.

I think it's refreshing that he hasn't apologized about what he said regarding Crabtree -- which I take to mean that he still "owns" those words. All he apologized for was taking attention away from his team and what they accomplished, and placed almost all of it on him. I can respect that.
I have heard him speak, and he seems reasonably well-spoken. My post about the comm degree was meant in jest, though I'm sure a comm degree at Stanford is more difficult than a comm degree at Party State U.

As for his "rant", wtf ever... If I wanted to watched a bunch of show-offs full of bluster and self-promotion, I'd watch rasslin'. I have more respect for a humble, soft-spoken athlete, not one pointing out how "great" he is. Perhaps that's just me; if so, so be it.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #172

Can't hurt if you've got Captain Picard rooting for you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patrick-Ian.JPG (64.5 KB, 6 views)
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #173
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Can't hurt if you've got Captain Picard rooting for you!
At least they are holding the correct football. American "football" has almost nothing to do with your feet.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #174

Who will win Super Bowl #48: Denver or Seattle? (Denver has the NFL's #1 Ranked Offense, as many of you know, while Seattle has the #1 Defense.)

Peyton Manning is a great QB; there's no denying that, especially this season. But 14 of Denver's 18 games (regular & post-season) were vs. teams whose defenses were ranked in the NFL's bottom 15 defense teams (which = a soft schedule, to me). Seattle has faced much tougher defense opponents, especially in their last six games, and won.

Go Hawks!
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Seattle
Best defense beats best offense the majority of the time, especially in big match ups.
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Seattle has faced much tougher defense opponents, especially in their last six games, and won.

Go Hawks!
Then how do you explain the Cardinals dominating the Seahawks on in December? Seahawks just think they are good.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much a toss up. Love the matchup one #1 defense vs #1 offense.

My pick goes Broncos 27, Seahawks 24.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #178
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, going 8-8 or 9-7 and just missing the playoffs can sometimes suck more than going 2-14, especially where the draft is concerned. (Just ask the Colts, who were awful for one year and got Andrew Luck to show for it.) And the Cowboys have mastered missing the playoffs at 8-8. The entire Jerry Jones era, with a couple of significantly better and significantly worse exceptions, has been marked by remarkably consistent mediocrity.
You make this almost sound like a bad thing.

Picking Broncos.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Being from the PNW, I am hoping for the 'Hawks. The party is at the home of a former Denver resident (now fulltime PV). Should be a noisy game.

As for betting on the outcome, we are doing a 10x10 so winning $ will be pretty random.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

I hear there's a football game this Sunday.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say that the team with the most points will win.