Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My car is a 2009 Toyota Venza [...] it only has 32K miles on it. Presently my plan is to drive it a while longer.
Yea, you might be able to nurse it along a few more years.
Well, that is what I am thinking, too! Being a Toyota, it really hasn't spent any time in the shop yet. That's my idea of luxury - - always having it right here in the garage, and available to me at a moment's notice whenever I want to go somewhere.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameTaken2 View Post
Actually, appreciate any response when I put my foot down
To paraphrase Bo Diddley when I mentioned 'groupies' to him, circa 1967 in Toronto, "My ol' woman'd kill me" (If I tried to put my foot down.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

2017 F150 and 2001 corvette. Drive the truck 99% of the time. Only take the car locally when weather is ok to go topless.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

2017 Subaru Outback. My daily driver. 24k mi. No plan to replace anytime soon.

2015 Subaru Impreza. DW daily driver. 44k mi. No plan to replace anytime soon.

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4. Bought new in 01, will hit 20 in January. Only drive it about 1,000 mi/yr, but I have a long driveway and I plow it myself with a Meyer ST 7.5 plow. Also with 20 acres a truck comes in handy from time to time. Truck just turned 100k mi and currently runs good, but looming problems are piling up (axle seals, body rust, SES codes) and I don't really want to put more $$ in fixing it up so I'm looking at an upgrade to a newer (2011 and up) truck to replace her. Problem is that newer 1/2 ton trucks are built lighter so can't hang a plow on them. 3/4 ton trucks are hard to find and very pricey. Looking at a 2012 Silverado 2500HD tomorrow that I'm hoping to get for a decent price if it checks out. Will sell the Sierra when I get replacement.

Recently reduced my fleet by 3 as DD's left the nest. 2014 Subaru Impreza went to DD #3. 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo recently sold to DD #2 and SIL. Really hated to let that one go, but had no place to keep it and hardly ever drove it. 2005 Buick Lacrosse sold to DD #1 who drove the wheels off it and traded for 2018 Ford Taurus with which she is very happy.

All purchased new except the Lacrosse. DW likes to tease me about buying cars, she would keep one forever if she could, just doesn't like change I guess. I felt like I needed every one of them though, so I don't feel like it's a vice. DW would probably disagree though.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I bought a lot of new ones. Lol I don't know why and I'm not a car freak or evenlike to have news one.
I will never buy a new outfit ever again. All my needs now are is something that gets me to here and there. Dont care what it looks like as long as it it dependable.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Love cars, but tend to find good values, because I prefer specific models.

Like my blue 2003 BMW 530, last year of the E39. I have owned it 4 years. In amazing condition . Previously I owned a 1997 BMW 528, this was the first year of the E39. I owned that one about 18 years. Both very sweet cars.

Now I am shopping for a 4Runner to add for my adventures.
We're from the same school. I bought a well-tended 1995 BMW 540i about 15 years ago. I habitually drive cars till the wheels fall off, but this one won't cooperate. Two hundred ninety three thousand miles and counting. Rust probably will kill it before the drive train gives up.

A couple years ago a buddy wanted to get a 1995 525it (wagon) out of his garage. I bought it with the intention that it would eventually replace the 540i. For now I use it to haul the dog around, mostly.

Both cars are E34 chassis, of course. I do most of my own wrenching and like the way this model is put together. I'm less enamored of modern bimmers. The E39 still qualifies as a classic, I believe. My wagon-selling friend has a small fleet of them.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2018 Tesla X
2018 Tesla 3

Plotting on how to get another. I'm a miser in other areas of my life.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
My idea of ultimate luxury in a car, is a car that doesn't break down and seldom if ever needs repairs. I like not having to waste my time getting repairs done.

ditto..

Really like my Toyota Van... reliable, and can carry everything I want to carry.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:14 AM   #29
gone traveling

if you can afford a nice car, why can't you afford a picture? haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180608_123407.jpg (533.8 KB, 81 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:15 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

^ Sweet!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I like cars and fortunately enjoy looking at the toys of others which satisfies my lust without breaking the bank. It is most unfortunate that social distancing rules have pretty much cancelled all the car shows which would normally be getting into high gear about now. I was planning to register as a bidder at the Meacum Indy auction before it was cancelled. There is an informal gathering of car buffs every Sunday morning at a nearby donut shop. Yesterday I only saw three cars there. A couple guys with face masks debating some detail on a '63 "Vette engine bay.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I must confess, I used to be a Car Guy, had a few nice ones in my time, mellowed out now I am approaching 70. We currently drive an BMW 3 Series, new every 3 years need it or not.

Here are a couple of nostalgia pics. I must admit I do have my eyes on a nice Aston Martin Vantage, but have not pulled the trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PurdyFront1.jpg (89.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg purdyrear2plate.jpg (76.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Porsche Left Side-7.jpg (596.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Rear.JPG (249.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 139-3995_IMG.jpg (550.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 140-4013_IMG.jpg (524.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg RightSide-2.jpg (683.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00022 (Medium).JPG (159.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Sold off "most" of my pre 70's fleet a year or so ago. (Seems longer) It was just getting to the point it was to hard to crawl around/under/over these things to maintain them "like I wanted".

For the last ~20 years I was buying a new Vette every 2 or 3 years. About 5 years ago I began finding them more and more uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of. However, I'm still young enough that I wanted the performance but I also wanted comfort and luxury too. Ended up switching to high performance Jeep's. I've been buying a new one each year since since switching and I've been extremely happy with them. Totally stock, it's super fast/quick 0-60 in 3.0 and 11.2 in the 1/4 @122, very comfortable with most of the latest gadgets. They are ~40 to 50% "more" expensive than the Vettes I was buying but heck, it's only money and I can't take it with me!

So nice/fast cars have always been more than just a "vice" for me.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Our cars are boring.
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
2012 Mercedes Benz C300
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6

No plans to change any of them and they are all relatively low mileage.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I must confess, I used to be a Car Guy, had a few nice ones in my time, mellowed out now I am approaching 70. We currently drive an BMW 3 Series, new every 3 years need it or not.

Here are a couple of nostalgia pics. I must admit I do have my eyes on a nice Aston Martin Vantage, but have not pulled the trigger.
Very nice entourage. Earlier model Lotus, nice.
Always wanted a Lamborghini, but alas that will not happen. It's okay, as I still enjoy my Z4 quite a bit as a much cheaper substitute.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Personally I am not into "nice" cars, but if you can afford it, go for it!

One of my brothers knows a lot about cars and always wanted a "nice" one, but he was a good family man and saved and invested to put his family's needs ahead of his own. He made very good money but did not like to spend money on himself. After his last child got married he retired, but was still waffling. His wife and kids figuratively "beat him up" for a year to get him to buy that nice car. He now has two.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

We have a 2014 GMC Sierra pick up and a 2019 Rubicon unlimited. This Rubicon is DW'S 5th Wrangler and it's unlike any of the others. While it is home off road it's an easy vehicle to drive on the road.

I'm wanting to replace my GMC it's a nice truck but its too big for the garage. I need another 4 wheel drive that has legs.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My idea of ultimate luxury in a car, is a car that doesn't break down and seldom if ever needs repairs. I like not having to waste my time getting repairs done.

My car is a 2009 Toyota Venza that I bought new in January of 2010. I haven't seen any new car (at any price) that I would like better. It has all the features I want, it is easy to drive, it has lots of cargo space, and it only has 32K miles on it. Presently my plan is to drive it a while longer.
At that rate of driving, it should last you at least 20 more years, easy!
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Very nice entourage. Earlier model Lotus, nice.
Yes, one of the last made, 2003 Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo with addies… Methanol Injection and custom Programming (By Me). 0 - 60 in under 3.5s. with me driving, so I am sure it could have done a lot better.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Pretty boring in our garage...a 2012 Toyo Highlander and 2018 F-150. It would be nice to have something a little sportier, but just can't justify it since we rarely drive anywhere.