Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When DW's 1998 Cadillac with that terrible Northstar engine finally gave up the ghost in 2017, We bought a Mazda CX-5, or what I called a computer with an internal combustion engine.
She loves the car, from the adaptive cruise control to the Bose speaker system that will play Pandora through Bluetooth.
I, on the other hand, gave my 2003 Hyundai to my grandson, and bought a used 2016 Hyundai Accent. My wife calls it a "roller-skate". I don't care, It normally gets driven a maximum distance of 15 miles one way.
If we need to take a longer trip, we use DW's Mazda with her driving.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Ooh! W2R, Is that a pic of your forever home in the background and Frank's beside it? Nice!!! I must confess to curiosity about this forever home you bought a few years ago.
No, no! That photo was taken the week I bought my Venza, back in 2010, so the house in the background is my prior home. But thanks!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

I picked up a low mile (62,000) 2005 Mustang convertible a few months ago that had been sitting in a garage for 4 years.

Once I got it home (that was fun), I somewhat restored it (new brakes, tires, plugs, coil pack, wires, pulled and cleaned the injectors, all new fluids, one A/C hose, touch screen head unit with Bluetooth, etc, etc.

I gave the paint a good cleaning and a wax job. Cute little car and fun (V6, auto).

2005 Mustang.jpg
Old 05-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve always had a soft spot for cars, sports cars (or sport-luxury) specifically, and have turned them over fairly often. But I always buy gently used and pay cash, so that keeps my overall costs in check. Like Aerides, leather and sunroofs are luxuries I won’t live without and even my 2007 F150 has both.

I probably would have reached my financial goals sooner had I not turned cars over so much, and I suppose that’s one of my financial regrets. But after getting into and out of debt in my 20s, I’ve lived below my means and avoided the temptation of buying too much house—so this indulgence has been fully rationalized

Current sports car is a 2015 BMW 228i convertible. I’ve been opting for drop tops over the last 10 years because there is nothing more enjoyable than open air motoring, especially when the weather is cool. I keep a pickup on hand for hauling and sports afield.

My previous cars:

1985 Mustang GT (my first car)
2001 VW Jetta VR6
2001 Mazda Miata
2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe Sport
2009 Mercedes CLK550 convertible
2010 Mazda Miata
2015 BMW 228i convertible

Adjustments.jpg
Austin704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

I've always had pretty basic cars in the past but I upgraded a bit with the last one: a 2017 fully-loaded Audi A3 with a big engine for some fun driving on mountain roads.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had pretty old cars in my first number of years of driving. In fact, I went from a 1997 to a 1989! After so many years of driving old stuff, I "splurged" and bought a 2015 Impala last year. Has nearly every option and cost a little over $18k out the door. My frugalness has me slightly regretting spending that much, but I absolutely love the car. For better or worse, I'm a car guy and already thinking about what I might want next. One direction I'm thinking Continental or CT6, another direction I'm thinking Mustang or Challenger. My most likely direction is to pay it off and see what I like then (such as the new Bronco). I've also thought about selling it and getting something older, but that might drive me crazy after having owned a newer car.
Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #67

Current cars both bought when two years old.

2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet
2017 Mercedes GLE550e 4matic Hybrid SUV

Usually buy one or two year old cars and sell them before they come off warranty. Always pay cash!
Old 05-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
...The problems with the old 36 hp VW was that it was:
-- a 6V system
I had to almost totally replace wiring as it had an almost 1 1/2 V drop from corrosion. The generator (not alternator as on new systems) commutator only held up so long (it had to be ground and new brushes put in) and you really can't find the 6V ones (and sometimes neither the battery nor the 6V light bulbs). When I finished, I actually had the blinkers working at idle and (thanks to some extra wiring and special tuning for altitude) I could start it under almost all weather conditions with a couple of cranks! (but still not fond of the old Solex carburetors)...

Thanks for the memories! My first car was an 11 yo '57 VW Beetle. I spent about as much time looking for junk yard parts and repairing the thing as I spent actually driving it. But, so many nice memories and I learned a lot.

Now my wife and I share a 2017 hybrid Toyota Avalon Limited. Very comfortable, nice safety features, few costs, few repairs. We'll replace it when it becomes unreliable or when new tech offers a notable advantage. Boring but we're not looking for automotive adventure.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We drive a 2010 Honda Accord and 2008 Toyota Corolla with both having low miles.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
.............Now my wife and I share a 2017 hybrid Toyota Avalon Limited. Very comfortable, nice safety features, few costs, few repairs. We'll replace it when it becomes unreliable or when new tech offers a notable advantage. Boring but we're not looking for automotive adventure.
And, unlike the Beetle, actually has a real heater and defroster.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #71

Wife has a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus. I have a 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe. So many whistles and bells I don't know what else there can be. I have owned everything from VW beetles (73) to BMW 5 series with Alfa Romeos, Triumph, VW Westfalia, and various American cars/trucks in between. None have ever been a disappointment. I think I like the cars we now have as much as any. I just wish I could still balance on my motorcycles though. Those gave me the most grins on my face.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #72

Just need something to carry the kayaks, oh, and it took us to Burning Man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2611.jpg (882.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And, unlike the Beetle, actually has a real heater and defroster.
And, it helps that there are no holes in the floor!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 diesel -Vancouver
2008 Nissan X Trail - PV MX
Both have under 60 k miles on them and holding.

We will probably be in PV until September as wife gets right hip replaced.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #75

I like cars, but all I care is that they are not ugly, and get me from place A to place B in relative comfort and safety. I keep cars until they fall apart, my previous car was a 1999 Toyota Camry XLE that I drove for 16 years and put 325,000 miles on. My current rides are:
2015 Toyota Camry XLE
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Hoping never to buy another car again, since I drive so much less since retiring.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year I bought a Mercedes S550, almost fully loaded. Sexy as hell, fun to drive. Still not sure how I feel about the vibe it gives off. For some reason I can't get over caring about what people think on the car front. I really enjoy sexy cars that are fun to drive but they definitely give off an unintended d-bagish vibe. Maybe I'm just projecting but its certainly and insecurity of mine that I can't seem to get over. Any help here would be much appreciated! lol
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
Last year I bought a Mercedes S550, almost fully loaded. Sexy as hell, fun to drive. Still not sure how I feel about the vibe it gives off. For some reason I can't get over caring about what people think on the car front. I really enjoy sexy cars that are fun to drive but they definitely give off an unintended d-bagish vibe. Maybe I'm just projecting but its certainly and insecurity of mine that I can't seem to get over. Any help here would be much appreciated! lol
Get over it, who gives a S@#$ what anyone else thinks, about anything for that matter, do it for you, not anyone else. No different than a Tesla really in the grand scheme of things. Those who would think the d-bagish vibe as you are speculating are most likely jealous or shallow, and don't count anyways....
Old 05-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
5 old classic vehicles. 5 newer daily driver type. 1 higher end motorhome.

So yeah I spend a lot on vehicles. Not so much into new luxury or performance cars, although I do like them. Just prefer older hot rods.

I currently own:
1971 Boss 351
1969 Boss 302
1967 Shelby GT 500

I assume the will qualify as classics........
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post

Embrace your inner d-bag. If you enjoy driving a fast, expensive car folks are going to think you're one anyway. Just roll with it.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #80
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes. It is a problem for me but not like most of you guys

1957 Chevrolet
1967 Camaro Convertible
1930 Model A Ford Hot Rod
And then the junk I drive everyday
Dynaflash is offline   Reply With Quote