hiatus
2006 Subaru STI
2003 BMW Z4
2000 BMW M5
1998 Corvette Mallett 435
1996 Porsche C4S
Sweet RS! Love the growl!
Djjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #102
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
Never owned a Porsche, would it be a total mistake to buy a used boxster?
Boxster is a great choice! Later models 2008 on are more reliable with added power plus direct injections etc. Earlier models are lighter but look for those already got the IMS modification upgrades. This is a great site for your research and you’ll spend hours there. Part of the fun is the hunt, get the latest model possible for the aforementioned reasons.

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=Boxster
51togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #103
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Must confess, I have been looking for a nice chrome bumper MGB in British Racing Green. Do you think I can find one that is not over priced?

I just keep looking, as a young man I had a dozen or so different MGB's, Roadsters, Coupes, MGC and MGB V8. I miss the little drophead.
My first car was a 1964 baby blue MGB that I brought for $500 back in 1975. I think we are fortunate to be able to have the experiences of that period from muscle car to British at affordable price. Check out this site, you should be able to find a good one in the teens. My favorite is still the earlier MGB 73 and earlier. And yeah BRG of course. Timeless and durability automobile in my humble opinion!

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=MGB
Old 05-19-2020, 08:51 PM   #104
Dryer sheet aficionado

Btw if the Porsche is not your daily driver, you may qualify for classic car insurance at very reasonable rate.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, have had a older miata, few motorcycles including triumphs, just looking for a fun car again. A Sunday car my SIL calls them.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #106
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love cars and the passion is what keep me going these day under lockdown. Gained three cars since my retirement, 2002 100 series Land Cruiser, my first BMW, a e39 M5 six years ownership, 2004 Porsche 40 anniversary brought during last financial crisis in 2007, a Lotus Europa - one of my high school favorite from a nearby neighbor in 2004, a 64 Chevy C2, and a 1978 Porsche SC since 1987. Of course you’ll need a Honda Civic Hybrid just in case. I’m 63 so pretty soon I may have trouble getting into the Lotus tho. Lately I’m thinking about a more modern vehicle like the C7 or the C8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4DBB709B-6098-4FD0-B0BC-359300946FD0.jpeg (243.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 7DBC8FB0-056F-4D08-8152-40630EF777D2.jpg (873.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg C9F12AAF-B160-4058-891E-F86BE18D9CC3.jpg (530.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51togo View Post
I love cars and the passion is what keep me going these day under lockdown.
+1

Crank up the radio, a cold beer and detail cars is a joy but my wife thinks I am crazy.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

That 64 is awesome, I am also looking at a C 5.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never cared for much for status symbols but I do like fine engineering and responsive handling and power. But for many years I was more interested in building my retirement through investing my extra income so I got my "fix" with a series of Ducati motorcycles which cost a lot less than nice cars and are inexpensive to drive and own. So I drove boring, underpowered but well cared for cars that were from 6 to 18 years old and had reasonably low operating expenses. I drove and repaired them until they weren't worth much.

However, in 1999 by age 37 I had a series of high-growth stocks that paid off in a shockingly good way so I decided to treat myself to a nice car, a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 fully loaded. More a fine luxury/sport touring sedan than a sports car but with a twin-turbo straight-6 it was a huge step up from what I was accustomed to driving. And I still had my motorcycles for real fun.

In 2016 my wife put her name on the reservation list for a Tesla Model 3 and in 2018 Tesla let her know they finally had a car for her. Now I thought this was a real stupid move. Not only was it going to cost almost 60K with taxes and everything (almost as much as the Volvo 18 years earlier), but it was the first production of a new (and unproven) model. I asked her where she was going to charge it and she looked at me like I was stupid (in hindsight, I was). She said, "I'm going to plug it into the carport, dummy". I said "but what about long trips?" and she told me we only take one or two long trips per year and there was a Supercharger Network for that. We live a good hour and a half from the nearest Tesla Service Center (depending upon I-5 traffic, maybe more) so I asked her where she was going to get it serviced. She looked at me again like I was stupid and informed me it hardly needed any service, mostly just tires which any tire shop could do. To make a long story short, she won and I reluctantly agreed it sounded like an interesting experiment. She just rolled her eyes.

When the day came to pick it up in the big city she was so excited she asked if I would come along and drive it home for her. I told her I had never driven an electric car but she insisted because I'm a skilled driver and she is...well, let's just say less skilled. So I agreed.

At the Tesla delivery center, the Tesla people showed us how to pair it to our smartphones and basic operation and, before I knew it, I was driving the electric car home. It was only charged up a little more than half-way but the trip computer told us we would make it home with plenty to spare.

The car just glided down the road with an eerie lack of vibration and noise. It was like driving the car of the future. It handled in a telepathic manner, I barely had to think where I wanted to go and it was already doing it! It was like it was connected directly to my brain! And the instantaneous power was stunning for its lack of noise and there was no perceptible delay or downshifts, it just rocketed silently forward. This made every other car (or motorcycle, for that matter) feel like clunky junk! The Tesla was like driving a spaceship! Now I was getting jealous! I had recently purchased a new Mazda CX-5 that I thought had good pep and handling but it was obviously inferior junk compared to this car from the future. The grin was so strong on my face, I was only a little more than halfway home (after hitting some curvy backroads) that I had decided to sell the Mazda and get one of these for myself!

FFWRD to today, we now have two Model 3's (the second one I splurged on and got the Performance version) and are shocked at how good these cars are. After two years neither one has needed any servicing save but one trip when my wife's car told her there was an issue with the driver seatbelt. She scheduled an appointment and Tesla replaced the component under warranty while giving her a Model S P85D loaner car. My car has not needed a single thing beyond tire rotations (which I do myself every time I switch from summer to winter tires (I'm a snow skier and have always run winter tires for mountain snowstorms). All the brakes are still almost new (thanks to electromagnetic braking). My wife even asked them about the 2 year service and they told her nothing was needed, just go drive it! The cars have almost 60K and 40K miles on them and still drive better than the day we bought them. Thanks to free Over-the-Air updates that have increased the power and acceleration of both cars (as if either of them needed that!). These cars are quick!

Probably the best thing about them (other than the telepathic driving experience) is the convenience of not having to get regular oil/filter and brake services or stop at filling stations. Not only does this make the operating costs extremely low, it saves a lot of time for more productive things.

Sorry about the long story but these cars have actually improved our lives in numerous ways and cost almost nothing to operate compared to other cars. If I had known Tesla's were so good, I probably would have forked over the $100K for a Model S back in 2013! I just had no concept of how good a car could be. Yes, I've driven new BMWs, Audis, Volvos, etc. but none of them are as silky smooth or have as much instant power. Now that I've driven the Model 3 and the Model S P85D, I can say, don't bother with the more expensive Model S, save your money, the Model 3 is a much better car. I've never driven the brand new Model Y crossover but I've heard it's even a better car than the Model 3.

I can never go back to driving old clunkers again! Oh, our Tesla's are so much fun, I quit riding my Ducati motorcycles! I never thought I would own a car that accelerated faster than my sportbike (but now I do). 0-60 in 3 seconds flat feels like the space-time continuum is being warped.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
I currently own:
1971 Boss 351
1969 Boss 302
1967 Shelby GT 500

I assume the will qualify as classics........
Kimo,
Can we please see some pictures? Loving the old Fords.
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1995 Honda Civic Si (188k miles, owned since 2001)
2015 Subaru Impreza (30k miles, only "upgraded" from a 2012 because DW broke her shoulder and needed AT instead of the old manual)

And the new toy addition: 1999 BMW 323i convertible -- But, I swapped in a Chevy LS1 engine. So pretty fast!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:58 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

It's your money. Buy what ever you want. Personally, I prefer simple basic cars, even better if they are electric. My Suzuki Grand Vitara is 12 years old. it gets me where I want to go. My other car is a Kia Niro Hybrid. I waste my money on international travel.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:37 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
I currently own:
1971 Boss 351
1969 Boss 302
1967 Shelby GT 500

I assume the will qualify as classics........

pictures please...…..
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #114
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post
I've never cared for much for status symbols but I do like fine engineering and responsive handling and power. But for many years I was more interested in building my retirement through investing my extra income so I got my "fix" with a series of Ducati motorcycles which cost a lot less than nice cars and are inexpensive to drive and own. So I drove boring, underpowered but well cared for cars that were from 6 to 18 years old and had reasonably low operating expenses. I drove and repaired them until they weren't worth much.

However, in 1999 by age 37 I had a series of high-growth stocks that paid off in a shockingly good way so I decided to treat myself to a nice car, a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 fully loaded. More a fine luxury/sport touring sedan than a sports car but with a twin-turbo straight-6 it was a huge step up from what I was accustomed to driving. And I still had my motorcycles for real fun.

In 2016 my wife put her name on the reservation list for a Tesla Model 3 and in 2018 Tesla let her know they finally had a car for her. Now I thought this was a real stupid move. Not only was it going to cost almost 60K with taxes and everything (almost as much as the Volvo 18 years earlier), but it was the first production of a new (and unproven) model. I asked her where she was going to charge it and she looked at me like I was stupid (in hindsight, I was). She said, "I'm going to plug it into the carport, dummy". I said "but what about long trips?" and she told me we only take one or two long trips per year and there was a Supercharger Network for that. We live a good hour and a half from the nearest Tesla Service Center (depending upon I-5 traffic, maybe more) so I asked her where she was going to get it serviced. She looked at me again like I was stupid and informed me it hardly needed any service, mostly just tires which any tire shop could do. To make a long story short, she won and I reluctantly agreed it sounded like an interesting experiment. She just rolled her eyes.

When the day came to pick it up in the big city she was so excited she asked if I would come along and drive it home for her. I told her I had never driven an electric car but she insisted because I'm a skilled driver and she is...well, let's just say less skilled. So I agreed.

At the Tesla delivery center, the Tesla people showed us how to pair it to our smartphones and basic operation and, before I knew it, I was driving the electric car home. It was only charged up a little more than half-way but the trip computer told us we would make it home with plenty to spare.

The car just glided down the road with an eerie lack of vibration and noise. It was like driving the car of the future. It handled in a telepathic manner, I barely had to think where I wanted to go and it was already doing it! It was like it was connected directly to my brain! And the instantaneous power was stunning for its lack of noise and there was no perceptible delay or downshifts, it just rocketed silently forward. This made every other car (or motorcycle, for that matter) feel like clunky junk! The Tesla was like driving a spaceship! Now I was getting jealous! I had recently purchased a new Mazda CX-5 that I thought had good pep and handling but it was obviously inferior junk compared to this car from the future. The grin was so strong on my face, I was only a little more than halfway home (after hitting some curvy backroads) that I had decided to sell the Mazda and get one of these for myself!

FFWRD to today, we now have two Model 3's (the second one I splurged on and got the Performance version) and are shocked at how good these cars are. After two years neither one has needed any servicing save but one trip when my wife's car told her there was an issue with the driver seatbelt. She scheduled an appointment and Tesla replaced the component under warranty while giving her a Model S P85D loaner car. My car has not needed a single thing beyond tire rotations (which I do myself every time I switch from summer to winter tires (I'm a snow skier and have always run winter tires for mountain snowstorms). All the brakes are still almost new (thanks to electromagnetic braking). My wife even asked them about the 2 year service and they told her nothing was needed, just go drive it! The cars have almost 60K and 40K miles on them and still drive better than the day we bought them. Thanks to free Over-the-Air updates that have increased the power and acceleration of both cars (as if either of them needed that!). These cars are quick!

Probably the best thing about them (other than the telepathic driving experience) is the convenience of not having to get regular oil/filter and brake services or stop at filling stations. Not only does this make the operating costs extremely low, it saves a lot of time for more productive things.

Sorry about the long story but these cars have actually improved our lives in numerous ways and cost almost nothing to operate compared to other cars. If I had known Tesla's were so good, I probably would have forked over the $100K for a Model S back in 2013! I just had no concept of how good a car could be. Yes, I've driven new BMWs, Audis, Volvos, etc. but none of them are as silky smooth or have as much instant power. Now that I've driven the Model 3 and the Model S P85D, I can say, don't bother with the more expensive Model S, save your money, the Model 3 is a much better car. I've never driven the brand new Model Y crossover but I've heard it's even a better car than the Model 3.

I can never go back to driving old clunkers again! Oh, our Tesla's are so much fun, I quit riding my Ducati motorcycles! I never thought I would own a car that accelerated faster than my sportbike (but now I do). 0-60 in 3 seconds flat feels like the space-time continuum is being warped.
I like the Model 3 and the company. The base model is priced reasonably along with the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt. I’m glad to hear that they are reliable, now they have the Model 3 long range 330 miles. So LA to Vegas without even stopping at the Tesla charging station. Being old school...may be just old? I found the extra large computer screen kind of hard getting used to, almost annoying. However, I still like them to replace the Civic Hybrid when the time comes.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51togo View Post
I like the Model 3 and the company. The base model is priced reasonably along with the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt. I’m glad to hear that they are reliable, now they have the Model 3 long range 330 miles. So LA to Vegas without even stopping at the Tesla charging station. Being old school...may be just old? I found the extra large computer screen kind of hard getting used to, almost annoying. However, I still like them to replace the Civic Hybrid when the time comes.
The large "computer" screen comes in real handy in reverse. Amazing clarity, you just have to try it out to see what I mean. I know other cars have screens for reverse, but they are so small, and the picture is just not the same. My GF has a BMW, and when I reverse in it, it's brutal.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Me:
2010 GMC Canyon 2wd pickup (daily driver & hauler)
2003 GMC Envoy (4wd vehicle when necessary in winter, camper hauler)
1979 Chevy El Camino (summer fun vehicle)
Wife:
2015 Chevy Cruze (daily driver)
1977 MGB (summer fun vehicle)

All paid for.
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:52 AM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
I buy used Mercedes and do the wrenching until the wheels fall off.

DW - 2017 GLE 350
Mine - 2007 S550

Home Depo truck - 1998 ML 320 with 205,000 miles on the clock.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:16 AM   #118
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
+1

Crank up the radio, a cold beer and detail cars is a joy but my wife thinks I am crazy.
Since retiring I play that game...and as for my grandsons.... here at 14 months... I’ll try and keep up..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8D2161B-FDE5-4F7C-A151-BF2C4D37E918.jpeg (72.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg 40002622-D19C-452A-A6C9-F8A4764A1D4A.jpeg (232.4 KB, 22 views)
airbornesapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #119

Pretty simple if it is within you means and you’ve got all your ducks in order why not?

There is another consideration zoom zooms waste gas, produce more CO2 per mile than you average corolla. In the big picture they must and will eventually go..
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:15 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Practical vehicle: 2008 Toyota Tacoma pickup - one of the few on the "Possibly 200,000 mile vehicle" list.

"Nice" vehicle: 2012 Highlander which seats four adults comfortably and can carry a good bit of luggage.

Tacoma purchased new; Highlander used.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote