Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Always bought my cars with my heart first and my accounting brain functions second.

Currently have a Tesla Model X with everything except the performance engine. The ordinary engine is still pretty quick for a SUV.

My old cars from Nissan, Mercedes, BMW all had pretty good to top specs. But my American car is the best I've ever had.
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #122
Confused about dryer sheets

2016 Lexus ES 350 - bought it new and paid it off within a year.
Chicago_FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Always been a vice of mine. But I have mellowed out in my old age. I enjoy looking at them in the garage and tweaking them up more than I enjoyed driving them.

Now I just revel in the thought that I can really buy any car I want, but choose not to.

So it is mundane sedans and utes for us now.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51togo View Post
Being old school...may be just old? I found the extra large computer screen kind of hard getting used to, almost annoying.
I was worried about all the concern raised about the "distracting" center screen before we bought our first one. Afterward, I realized the complaints were all coming from non-owners. Once you drive one you will see what I mean. It took me about half-way home to adjust.

It's actually a better place to put the most important data like speed (MPH). In every other car I've ever driven I had to adjust the height of the steering wheel so I could see the speedometer. This was not the ideal spot ergonomically and on long drives, my shoulders would get sore. Now I can drive all day since I can adjust the steering wheel lower where it makes the most sense.

After owning the first Tesla for a short while, I started to learn that most negative comments on the Internet are fabricated by Tesla haters who, in most cases, have never even driven one! They just like to slander Tesla. It's their (rather twisted) hobby or maybe their job (I'm not sure which).
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Currently have a Tesla Model X with everything except the performance engine. The ordinary engine is still pretty quick for a SUV.

Motor
Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Motor
Pedant.

What’s the difference between a motor and an engine?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

At least I acknowledge/accept that a Telsa is a car. Well almost and that's a lot for me...
Old 05-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Best part of that article is this quote, "“An engineer is an author or designer of something, a person who contrives a plot, a schemer.” I would like to thing that my days as a flight ENGINEER, I was in charge of plotting and scheming what activities the crew would do during extended crew rests.

Motor v. Engine, I won't get into the argument, but boat "motor" always bugged me.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
I really need to get to this point, I just don't know how. Need to get over it so I can just fully enjoy my gifts to myself from the hard work. I'm pretty young still (30s) so maybe thats adding to the d-bag feel.
As my DW loves to say, "If they aren't feeding you, paying your bills, or ***ing you, then why should they care?!?"
Old 05-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Motor v. Engine, I won't get into the argument, but boat "motor" always bugged me.
I know. It bugs a lot of people. But "motorboat" is in common usage while "engineboat" is a word I've never heard used. And the "Indianapolis Motor Speedway" is a somewhat famous place where racing of motorcars takes place.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut1 View Post
Thomas Stanley in the book “Millionaire Next Door” wrote a whole chapter about this. And in my opinion, he was right on.

“Yes, some wealthy people prefer high-status brands. But according to the late wealth researcher, Thomas J. Stanley, most wealthy Americans don’t. Instead, they have modest consumption tastes. Most millionaires, for example, don’t drive fancy cars. Most don’t live in fancy homes. Most don’t collect wines, antiques or belong to swanky clubs. Thomas Stanley said some wealthy people like high-end cars. But millionaires aren’t driving most of the high-end cars we see on the streets. Instead, it’s people with high salaries and low wealth that are most attracted to these cars.”
Thomas Stanley was a "sorta" neighbor of ours when we lived in Georgia. I say "sorta" because he lived about 1/2 a mile away. He lived a fairly frugal life (considering he probably did pretty well $$$ wise) and had a very nice looking yellow Corvette. Unfortunately, that was the car he was driving when a drunk driver hit and killed him (in a Super Duty P/U truck). To this day, whenever it comes to looking for cars, safety is a pretty important feature for me. Not so much that I don't want to die because of a car wreck, but because I don't want a traumatic brain injury.

He has noted in his writings (and I think it still rings true) that the favorite vehicle for those that are affluent (but not super rich) is the F-150.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
I know. It bugs a lot of people. But "motorboat" is in common usage while "engineboat" is a word I've never heard used.
Everytime I hear the song "Pontoon" by Little Big Town, I think of that when they say..."Motorboatin"
Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Everytime I hear the song "Pontoon" by Little Big Town, I think of that when they say..."Motorboatin"
I tend to think of something unrelated to boats when I hear that.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I tend to think of something unrelated to boats when I hear that.
Well there is that too!
Old 05-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #135
gone traveling

Quote:
At least I acknowledge/accept that a Telsa is a car. Well almost and that's a lot for me...
Sounds like you have a case of Covid derangement syndrome.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #136
Dryer sheet aficionado

I must confess I've had my fair share of cars. I've had: the Porsche 911, MBZ, and 2 Lexus. Now that I don't have to impress clients and employees, I drive a Toyota Tacoma and a Honda S2000 (bought one of the first ones and only has 55k miles). Wife drives a Toyota 4runner.

Truth be told, I love my truck. Hauls all of my mountain and road bikes, shooting gear, golf clubs etc. A lot more practical.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
He has noted in his writings (and I think it still rings true) that the favorite vehicle for those that are affluent (but not super rich) is the F-150.
We have a 2010 F-150 4x4 with only 40K miles on it. We "need" it for firewood cutting, horse trailering and moving furniture, appliances or other towing as needed. But it's V-8 engine and six-speed automatic slushbox guzzles gas like a drunk sailor drinks liquor on shore leave. And it's driving dynamics are about as rewarding as taking out the garbage. It's not particularly safe, especially in terms of its well-known propensity for rollover accidents.

We can hardly wait to replace it with a Tesla Cybertruck for its superior driving dynamics, safety, convenience (electronically adjustable ground clearance and built-in 120V and 240V outlets, built-in air compressor, no gas or diesel purchases, etc), payload and towing capacity and low cost of operation.

The fact that it can go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds flat (with no load in the bed) is just the frosting on the cake!
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #138
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1991 Dodge Stealth. ~$20k, first year out of college. Total cost represented 71% of my starting salary. After that, I had learned my lesson, and didn't buy another 'sports car' until the Mazda RX-8 came out circa 2003. Loved that car, except for the mileage, and slow linear acceleration. Handling was exceptional.

1976? Dodge Colt (used first car)...paid cash
1985 Mazda B2000 (used second car)...paid cash
1991 Dodge Stealth (new third car)...drove it to 98K miles when the transmission failed. Financed for 5 long years.
2000 Xterra. Financed for 5 years, but paid off early after 3.
2003 RX-8. Was going to pay cash, but took a 3-year 0% APR loan.
2009 Xterra. Paid cash.
2013 Rav 4 (wife's car). Wife paid cash.

Next car? 2021 Corvette?
Old 05-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine

Quote:
Motor

OK I'm Norwegian so this writing this language I'm on thin ice. What are the proper terms for computer engineers then? Or engineers making the motors of electric vehicles?

Quote:

Hey I used to shake my head passing tiny funny looking electric cars on the motorway going to work. But then my little brother bought a Tesla and we went on a trip together.

I hope for your sake that the rumors about Tesla building their next factory in Texas is wrong.
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #140
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just a funny observation on this thread. What people consider "nice cars" has a very different meaning based on answers. Some it means a high performance car. Some it means luxury. Some it means practical transportation. Some it means classic car. Some it means limited production. Some it means lowest operational cost. Some it means latest technology. Some it means safest vehicle. Etc, etc, etc.
There is no "right" answer, and I am amused by the varied responses as to what people consider in their answers.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote