Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #141
Dryer sheet aficionado

Only keeping 5-8 years? When we bought our 2008 Honda Pilot (which is still our every day vehicle), we sold our '93 Taurus. Last year I bought a new Tacoma and sold my '93 Toyota pickup. So 15-25+ years is what works for us. I don't think we are too frugal, since that Pilot still looks and drives like new with about 172,000 miles on it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just a funny observation on this thread. What people consider "nice cars" has a very different meaning based on answers.
That's so true. I know of a guy who collects cars, dozens of them. They are all what most of us would consider pretty amazing, but his criteria go above and beyond even most car collectors. He is only interested in one if it's special in some important way. First in a series, featured in a major movie, one of only a handful produced, involved in a historic event, etc.

I got to see his collection once and it was an incredible experience.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's so true. I know of a guy who collects cars, dozens of them. They are all what most of us would consider pretty amazing, but his criteria go above and beyond even most car collectors. He is only interested in one if it's special in some important way. First in a series, featured in a major movie, one of only a handful produced, involved in a historic event, etc.

I got to see his collection once and it was an incredible experience.
I would guess he would be interested in this 300 SL Gullwing, a car that you don't see for sale too often, especially in this condition:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sl-gullwing-2/
Old 05-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I would guess he would be interested in this 300 SL Gullwing
Yes, that's the sort of thing he likes, and I know that he has paid far more than that for some of his cars. Must be nice to have serious money!
Old 05-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #145
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just a funny observation on this thread. What people consider "nice cars" has a very different meaning based on answers. Some it means a high performance car. Some it means luxury. Some it means practical transportation. Some it means classic car. Some it means limited production. Some it means lowest operational cost. Some it means latest technology. Some it means safest vehicle. Etc, etc, etc.
There is no "right" answer, and I am amused by the varied responses as to what people consider in their answers.
How about luxury high performance cars
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #146
Dryer sheet aficionado

Why not if it floats your boat and you have the sheckles... You’re a long time dead and can’t take it with you...

DFW-M5..... as in Bimmer nut...if so ditto..
airbornesapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #147
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornesapper View Post
Why not if it floats your boat and you have the sheckles... You’re a long time dead and can’t take it with you...

DFW-M5..... as in Bimmer nut...
That was 20 years ago, now it's Audi.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #148
Dryer sheet aficionado

Performance end or....
airbornesapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I would guess he would be interested in this 300 SL Gullwing, a car that you don't see for sale too often, especially in this condition:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sl-gullwing-2/
that car has 3 extra zeros at the end of the sale price. 6 days to go too
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

I got excited when I saw a Tesla Model X P100D in the parking lot. Then I looked up the price. Guess it won't be on my list of vices. Best car we have is a 2013 Audi Q5 with about 35K miles. I use a 2006 Honda CRV to drag my golf clubs around. And my has a 2008 Mini that she loves.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #151
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuneau View Post
Only keeping 5-8 years? When we bought our 2008 Honda Pilot (which is still our every day vehicle), we sold our '93 Taurus. Last year I bought a new Tacoma and sold my '93 Toyota pickup. So 15-25+ years is what works for us. I don't think we are too frugal, since that Pilot still looks and drives like new with about 172,000 miles on it.
Yeah I'm interested in a new Taco but DW won't part with our 15 year old Lexus. The dang things simply last forever. No way we'll consider giving it away for a few $$. Looks and runs like new. Likewise we're not cheapskates but I can not justify buying a new vehicle. I guess Toyota never bought into the planned obsolescence of many manufacturers.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:38 PM   #152
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just noticed that my neighbor of about 6 houses down the street has a McLaren, not sure which one, but it is new, and one of those new Corvettes too. I must give him credit, I see him driving by in one of them nearly every other day. I followed him to the gate today on my way to the post office. Must have a lot of disposable cash. While they are both nice cars I cannot see myself in one as I am approaching the big 70. He is a bit younger than me, but not by that much. I only know him in passing, he does have a 4 car garage so I suppose he has to put something in it.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #153
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornesapper View Post
Performance end or....
RS5, I consider it a luxury GT car.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I got excited when I saw a Tesla Model X P100D in the parking lot. Then I looked up the price. Guess it won't be on my list of vices. Best car we have is a 2013 Audi Q5 with about 35K miles. I use a 2006 Honda CRV to drag my golf clubs around. And my has a 2008 Mini that she loves.
Yeah, the Tesla Model X is not a value car, especially not the P100D (Performance version)!

But the Model 3 Performance version is 95% as fast and "only" costs $57K. This is a car that will beat a number of exotic sports cars that can cost up to a million dollars or more. I'm a cheapskate and would never splurge on a fast gas car due to wanting better "value". But I consider the Model 3 to offer real financial value regardless of the trim level. Probably the AWD Long-Range offers the most value because it will blow the doors off most V-8's and it costs $8K less than the Performance model.

I see a lot of people talk about "fast" cars but one drive in a $57K Model 3 will redefine what it means to be fast. I used to think my 1000cc Ducati motorcycle was fast - no longer. But the real kicker is that any gasoline car that is truly fast is going to be very expensive and the expense doesn't end with the purchase price. They all get rather dismal fuel economy and the price and frequency of required maintenance can be a real eye-opener.

On the other hand, the Performance version of the Model 3 is just as efficient as the non-performance version (which in itself has eye-opening performance) and both have lower costs of operation than that frugal Honda CRV!
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #155
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post
Yeah, the Tesla Model X is not a value car, especially not the P100D (Performance version)!

But the Model 3 Performance version is 95% as fast and "only" costs $57K. This is a car that will beat a number of exotic sports cars that can cost up to a million dollars or more.
The S P100D maybe, but not the model 3 performance.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
How about luxury high performance cars
Absolutely... A nice car(s) is whatever you think it is....Performance, power, luxury, expensive, fancy options, restored antiques, reliable, etc, etc... Whatever floats your boat.

For me it's changed over the years. In my teens it was anything that would run and had a V8. In my 20's it was anything that ran with a V8 and AC. In my 30's, 40's and 50's it was more about flashy looks, higher performance and restored collectables. In my later 60's it became more about ultra high performance, luxury, latest gadgets and comfort.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Absolutely... A nice car(s) is whatever you think it is....Performance, power, luxury, expensive, fancy options, restored antiques, reliable, etc, etc... Whatever floats your boat.

For me it's changed over the years. In my teens it was anything that would run and had a V8. In my 20's it was anything that ran with a V8 and AC. In my 30's, 40's and 50's it was more about flashy looks, higher performance and restored collectables. In my later 60's it became more about ultra high performance, luxury, latest gadgets and comfort.
Still love my Z4. Yes getting just a tad more difficult to get out of now, but I know this is it as to my last sports car, so will enjoy it for now.
Driving it around in our Covid era also is a great distraction.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The S P100D maybe, but not the model 3 performance.
Tesla provided a free over-the-air update last year to owners of the Performance Model 3. I was getting 0-60 mph times of 3.2 seconds before the update, now it's down to 3.0 seconds flat. And a number of owners are getting it under 3 seconds at tracks with professional timing equipment. These are the un-modified Tesla Model 3 Performance you can buy for $57K.

On the other hand, there are a slew of exotic and very expensive cars (Ferrari's, Bugatti's, etc.) that can't accelerate that fast even with their expensive to maintain V12's and the like:

https://www.hotcars.com/15-slow-supe...-of-3-seconds/

The Model 3 (in any trim level) is a lot quicker in the real world than the specs would suggest because the power is instantaneous - there is no perceptible lag, no downshift and no preparation required (unlike many cars that you need to put it in "launch mode" or whatnot to get the fastest time). With the Model 3 you simply floor it and it rips forward (as your cheeks try to peel backward off your face).

Because there is no wheelspin or squealing, and no downshift and roaring engine, you can actually use ALL the acceleration in normal traffic without danger of attracting attention or losing control. The main thing you have to remember is to let off the accelerator before you are into ticket-getting territory. Because it will go from legal speeds to highly illegal speeds more quickly than a cop can say "Can I see your license and registration please?"!

So, yeah, with the only downside being initial cost, and the operating costs that are lower than an economy car, it was an easy choice. Most performance cars make terrible daily drivers. The Tesla Model 3 is a great daily driver!
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^^^^

Lot's of the "supercars" in the link you provided can probably actually break 3 sec 0-60, regardless of what the specs say. I've always been able to beat the factory spec on my unmodified high performance cars, sometimes by a good bit...My current daily driver beats it's factory published 0-60 and 1/4 times by ~5 tenths. I've never driven a Tesla M3 so I can't comment on their actual performance with any authority but I have seen one and from 70 to 100 I beat him with my stock Jeep. He back off at that point and I never got another chance to challenge him. I'm sure he was embarrassed by getting beat by a Jeep. I really wanted to see how he'd do in the 1/4 but never got a chance.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #160
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post
Tesla provided a free over-the-air update last year to owners of the Performance Model 3. I was getting 0-60 mph times of 3.2 seconds before the update, now it's down to 3.0 seconds flat. And a number of owners are getting it under 3 seconds at tracks with professional timing equipment. These are the un-modified Tesla Model 3 Performance you can buy for $57K.

On the other hand, there are a slew of exotic and very expensive cars (Ferrari's, Bugatti's, etc.) that can't accelerate that fast even with their expensive to maintain V12's and the like:

https://www.hotcars.com/15-slow-supe...-of-3-seconds/

The Model 3 (in any trim level) is a lot quicker in the real world than the specs would suggest because the power is instantaneous - there is no perceptible lag, no downshift and no preparation required (unlike many cars that you need to put it in "launch mode" or whatnot to get the fastest time). With the Model 3 you simply floor it and it rips forward (as your cheeks try to peel backward off your face).

Because there is no wheelspin or squealing, and no downshift and roaring engine, you can actually use ALL the acceleration in normal traffic without danger of attracting attention or losing control. The main thing you have to remember is to let off the accelerator before you are into ticket-getting territory. Because it will go from legal speeds to highly illegal speeds more quickly than a cop can say "Can I see your license and registration please?"!

So, yeah, with the only downside being initial cost, and the operating costs that are lower than an economy car, it was an easy choice. Most performance cars make terrible daily drivers. The Tesla Model 3 is a great daily driver!
Yes, instantaneous acceleration is spectacular. I did not realize they had updated to improve the cars acceleration, but 0-60 is only one measure of performance and using a draggy (accelerometer) may not be accurate. Nevertheless, what a car runs the quarter mile in on a drag strip and around a road course is where the Tesla Model 3 will drop off. I am not sure how their sports car version would perform if its even available yet.