Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Yes, instantaneous acceleration is spectacular. I did not realize they had updated to improve the cars acceleration, but 0-60 is only one measure of performance and using a draggy (accelerometer) may not be accurate. Nevertheless, what a car runs the quarter mile in on a drag strip and around a road course is where the Tesla Model 3 will drop off. I am not sure how their sports car version would perform if its even available yet.
Interesting comment on the draggy... Mine has the functionality built in and it is within 1 tenth of the tracks times. At the strip I can't get 0-60 times from the track clocks but I do get the 1/4 ET and MPH and it's spot on. Seem they have really improved on the accuracy of these tools....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, instantaneous acceleration is spectacular. I did not realize they had updated to improve the cars acceleration, but 0-60 is only one measure of performance and using a draggy (accelerometer) may not be accurate. Nevertheless, what a car runs the quarter mile in on a drag strip and around a road course is where the Tesla Model 3 will drop off. I am not sure how their sports car version would perform if its even available yet.
Yes, all the Long-Range versions got the power upgrade for free. There is an additional power upgrade for AWD owners they can buy for $2,000. It doesn't make it as fast as the Performance but it's close. Of course you don't get the "Track Mode" mentioned below for the regular AWD. $2K might seem like a lot for a software upgrade unless you have watched motorheads put $5,000 and a lot of blood sweat and tears into an engine upgrade to get a smaller improvement (that often comes with the downside of more gas consumption, rougher idle and reduced longevity). It makes the $2,000 software power upgrade a no-brainer.

I don't take my cars to the track but those who do are reporting the "Track Mode" update that was delivered free to all Performance Model 3's pretty much eliminates the way the power used to fall off after a couple of high-speed laps.
There are also settings for adjusting (using sliders) the power bias front/rear, adjusting the degree of traction and stability control and the amount of regenerative braking that is blended in.

I have played with these and the results were nothing short of amazing. I took it to a big empty parking lot in an industrial area one morning and, using the newly downloaded menu items for Track Mode, I turned off all electronic "nannies" and dialed the power bias to 100% rear-wheel drive. Oh - my - God! The rear end would light up light a Rhesus monkey on crystal meth! It was burnouts on command, just press the throttle past halfway and steer to the left or right and the rear end was hanging perpendicular while the tires were ripping big squeals and leaving a cloud of rubber smoke.

That's more of a dramatic party trick than anything useful for daily driving, LOL! But the track guys can use these infinitely adjustable sliders to good effect. You can even save different setups for different tracks.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #163
gone traveling

Probably being silent makes the Tesla performance even more startling, I would think. I'll have to test drive one.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Probably being silent makes the Tesla performance even more startling, I would think. I'll have to test drive one.
I'm not convinced about that. The silence and lack of tire squealing definitely makes it more "stealth" in public and I think it might also make it more deceptive to the occupants. Sometimes I think the sound of screeching tires and roaring engine might make ICE cars appear to be faster than they really are.

For example, I have two identical sport motorcycles. One of them has performance carbon fiber pipes (deeper and much louder sound levels) and an opened up airbox that puts the loud "honk" of the air rushing into an engine at full throttle right near the riders head. The other motorcycle has the much quieter stock exhaust and air intake. Other than that, they are identical.

On the stopwatch, the modified bike accelerates about 3% more quickly. But when you get off one bike and onto the other, you would swear the louder bike is much more powerful and faster. I think the loud noise fools the rider into thinking it's more powerful than it really is.

The Performance Model 3 has taken away the luster of my two motorcycles. Before getting the Tesla I thought they sounded glorious with their Ducati Superbike engines which are some of the best sounding motorcycle engines out there with none of that irritating "wail" the in-line 4 cylinders are famous for, especially the one with carbon-fiber pipes and open airbox.

Now that I know you can go fast without all that distracting noise the bikes are simply not that fun to ride anymore. I actually prefer the quiet performance of the Tesla. When I punch it, all I hear is the jet-turbine like sound of the electric drivetrain and the slight scuffing of the tires as the electronic systems manages torque to keep the tires at the limits of traction. I had never heard this sound before except under heavy braking because, in more ordinary cars, the engine sounds and vibrations completely overwhelm the subtle tire noises. The Tesla is like a spaceship from the future in terms of power and control.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

I have had over 100 new cars in my years working for an automobile manufactuer.

But now that I'm paying, I'm more frugal and driving them longer.
2003 F250 Lariat diesel crew cab
2008 Lexus IS250
2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid (49 mpg)
2020 Ford F150 STX SuperCrew--bought with a $3K coupon received in the mail last week. Pd. $14K under MSRP.
1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible.

When I get over my current construction projects, the F250's going to be sold.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have had over 100 new cars in my years working for an automobile manufactuer.

But now that I'm paying, I'm more frugal and driving them longer.

2003 F250 Lariat diesel crew cab

2008 Lexus IS250

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid (49 mpg)

2020 Ford F150 STX SuperCrew--bought with a $3K coupon received in the mail last week. Pd. $14K under MSRP.

1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible.

When I get over my current construction projects, the F250's going to be sold.

You are definitely a “car guy.” Are you sure you don’t live in Detroit? When I was there, I bought a new Cadillac every couple of years on an exec plan. But when I moved to downtown Chicago, Cadillacs literally didn’t fit.

Now we own one car, age 6 months. In that time we have driven it less than 200 miles, not even 500 miles per year. That is not a Covid casualty. It’s a function of how little we need a car. With a walkscore of 98, everything we want is within walking distance. That includes my office, which I have found I no longer want.

The per-mile cost is staggering: parking space maintenance and real estate tax on same, $1,500 per year; cost of capital for owning parking space, another $1,000; insurance, about $1,000; city and state fees, $300; depreciation of car must be at least $2,000 even though it’s new and we rarely use it. That’s nearly $6,000 a year and you will notice that I haven’t put gasoline in it yet.

If gas is free (it nearly is, thanks to the Saudis and Russians) and maintenance is zero, I’m spending $12 per mile on this car. If we were as frugal as we aspire to be, we wouldn’t own even one car. But the convenience of having one handy when needed trumps that concern.

I do think this car will last at least 12 years — it’s a Subaru, why not 30 years at this rate? — and we will need at most one more car beside it. (In our mid-80s and beyond, I envision that others will do all the driving.) So that part is good, at least.

The only people I know in the city who own more than two cars seem to own 20 or 30 or more cars and, like me, they don’t drive them much. They collect them and show them. (The fellow who owns the most cars doesn’t even show them. He’s an odd duck, in my opinion.)
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-31-18 View Post
(The fellow who owns the most cars doesn’t even show them. He’s an odd duck, in my opinion.)
Maybe not all that odd. They collector I know doesn't show his cars either (he has several dozen), but he goes to the big shows looking for cars to buy and add to his collection. The remarkable thing about him is that he keeps them all street legal and drives each one at least once a year.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I hope for your sake that the rumors about Tesla building their next factory in Texas is wrong.
I imagine that's a joke, most Texans like their cars and trucks built in America by hard-working Americans and if they are made in Texas, by Texans, it's even better.

But Tulsa, Oklahoma has done a bang-up job on this short video in an attempt to lure Tesla away from Texas and into Tulsa:

https://ktul.com/news/local/tulsa4te...ise-investment

It's a pretty compelling short video if you ask me! I'm not sure how they could have made it any better.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I hope for your sake that the rumors about Tesla building their next factory in Texas is wrong.
Actually, I'm not against Tesla building a factory here.... (Although I don't personally like Tesla's or any EV's for that matter) My concerns are the same as many native Texans when any company moves here.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #170
Full time employment: Posting here.

I currently have three vehicles,

2018 crew cab Silverado pickup
1965 Chevy Impala SS convertible
2019 Yamaha golf cart

Since we live in a golf cart community, I have driven the golf cart more miles this year than the other two. This is partially due the recent shutdown.

The old convertible is mostly used for car cruises and car shows. It has around 45,000 original miles on it. I have owned it for 21 years.

I am a car guy and have owned many old muscle cars/collector cars over the years. Lots of great memories.
Nice Cars... is it a vice?
Old 06-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #171
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice Cars... is it a vice?

My late brother Bruce was a bit of a gear head. Not long out of high school he landed a great blue collar job and put a lot of money into his rides. The concept of an emergency fund, building a pile and becoming independent was absent. In retrospect It was money that was better spent/saved/invested elsewhere. His wheels constantly broke down and I was his recovery service. One cold February night I saw the folly in it; that’s is possibly why my first car was a VW bug.

The answer is if it gives you joy and you can afford it -why not? The problem is too many buy a zoom zoom they can ill afford. I call it ‘shiny red truck syndrome”. It’s bling with wheels nothing more nothing less.

The older I get the less stuff means to me.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Cars have always been a low priority in my life. (Travel, OTOH...) I last bought a current model year car in 1991. After that, DH and I bought used from Enterprise and drove them till they were no longer reliable. I was pretty sure I'd never buy another current model year car. And then...

Last week my 2012 Nissan Sentra developed transmission problems that would cost more to fix than it was worth. I was visiting DS and DDIL 3 hours away in another state. DS knows cars much better than I do and we investigated prices on-line, I chose a Honda Civic (too cheap to spring for extra for the Accord), got a price over the phone. I decided to donate the old car to Habitat for Humanity and financed it by getting cash from my brokerage account (advisor told me I could afford a BMW). 2020s not much more expensive than 2018s and no need to have a used model checked out by a mechanic. I wanted the deal done. And no BS over trade-ins and financing.

So, I drove home in a new Honda Civic. In a way it was good timing. I'm sure as heck not spending much on travel this year and I have IOUs up the wazoo from airlines and a tour company for when I'm ready for major travel.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

2015 rv trailer 27'
2014 Hurricane deck boat 24' with 300 hp
2008 Dodge Ram truck with cummins diesel
2011 250C Lexus convertible
1998 Harley Road King
2015 Harley Trike
2018 Toyota Highlander

I call it conspicuous consumption.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

You all have inspires me to take a post retirement lap!
She's not fast, she's a little low, but she has some nice curves

kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post

Your car looks great, and matches your forum handle.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #176
gone traveling

Quote:

Jay Leno would approve!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #177

Quote:

That's a beauty! I love V-dubs! Very cool.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #178

Quote:

I never saw one of these as sharp looking as this baby...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:04 AM   #179

That's a great looking car. And the design has age so well.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #180
gone traveling

NICE KArman geeha! Nice customized color too.
Good luck & Best wishes.....
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote