Join Early Retirement Today

Nice retirement related experience on Delta flight
Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice retirement related experience on Delta flight

I was flying from Amsterdam to Detroit this week when the captain introduced himself over the intercom, as they usually do, and he announced that this was his retirement flight, after 37 years with the company. Lots of cheering and clapping from the passengers. Anyway, near the end of the flight he came on the intercom again to share a few words. He had great things to say about the people he worked with at Delta and, without getting too political about it, suggested that the world would be a much better place if more people could work together in the positive way he had seen people do in his career.

Anyway, I thought it was nice that he took the time to share with us how much it obviously meant to him to work for a company he respected that much. No idea if Delta is one of those "great places to work" we read about (although I like them a lot as a customer) but we hear so much on this board about how dysfunctional megacorps can be, it's good to hear an opposing view from time to time.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He should have worked for the Delta Airlines of 1980. It was truly a big family of happy workers, and a great company. They retired and laid off most all of those workers long ago.

The new Delta is just another big legacy airline. I avoid them whenever possible. They and all airlines do have some good and great employees keeping the flying public safe.

In the South, we always said if you die go to Heaven, you're first going to have to go through Jackson-Hartsfield Airport. That's where Delta Airline used to control lock, stock and barrel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #3

Delta has had its ups and downs over the years but I've always thought they were better than most other US airlines. I agree that it was a truly great company in the 80s.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know numerous commercial pilots, and a lot of them fly for Delta and they all really seem to enjoy the j*b and it's about the best deal going for commercial flying gigs these days. Our neighbor in ATL was also a chief pilot for DAL and when he hit 65 (can't fly passengers anymore), he went to w*rk in the training department, and also loved his j*b. Now the ones that fly for AA? That's a whole 'nuther story!

Not only to mention, with the legacy carriers...once you get enough seniority, you can get away with flying only two or three international trips a month while making very good money. Arguably, that has to be one of the best "side hustles" that is out there!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When you started with it being his last flight,
I thought more along the line of this airlines last flight...

Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a similar experience recently on AA from Barcelona to Philly. The pilot's last flight. He and his wife had just spent a week in Barcelona (their favorite city) and she was on board. (Not in "steerage" with us!) Fire trucks provided an arch of water as the plane pulled away from the gate, ground crew gathered to wave goodbye, etc. Big round of applause from the passengers. Pilot said goodbye to all the passengers as they departed in Philly. Reminiscent of a military retirement ceremony in some ways.