Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buckeye: I know exactly what you mean....it was a tough weekend for me...the one year anniversary of Micro being put to sleep and the two month anniversary of Romeo.
Thank God I have Casanova to keep me company and sane!

Once I had to put Micro down, I lasted two weeks and adopted one from the shelter who I had for three days....turns out he had the wet kind of FIP and had to be put to sleep as well.

I waited about four months before I adopted Romeo and Casanova.....the longest four months of my life. I would walk up the stairs expecting a furry head to meet me at the top of the stairs....but nothing. The entire energy of my apartment was strange without having a cat.
I am watching Casanova splayed out on my Papa San chair snuggled in the throw that I knitted a couple of years ago....makes my heart smile.

I think you are ready.....
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry to hear about your kitties. I have a feeling you won't last long before you decide to get a new one.

We had three cats at one point. Then we went about six years with none. Finally, a neighborhood kitty adopted us. I've decided that life is too empty without pets. I think I heard that people who have pets live longer. Wouldn't surprise me. Our kitty keeps us amused and seems to have a calming effect. If that makes sense.
zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

After our teenage kitties died, we were catless for about a year. When it felt like the right time, we got 2 littermates from the Humane Society and they are absolutely wonderful! Like Zoey, I think life is just too empty without pets, not to mention that you're saving a life(or two).
JanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Buckeye I'm so sorry for your loss. I've got the most loving, beautiful cat in the world that I'm torn between finding a home for and not wanting to let go. This cat is all white, her name is Princess and she is a real sweetheart.

The *?!*?! people who sold me my house left their cat but didn't tell me. They just tossed her out because they didn't want her anymore. I heard her meowing but didn't realize she was 'mine.' About 8 weeks later I saw her and she was really skinny so I fed her and started leaving food out for her. When I started to put up posters for a found cat a neighbor told me that the creeps who sold me the house left it. Leaving food out worked for a while but then I realized that other neighborhood cats were bullying her and not letting her eat from the food dish and she was really, really, skinny - I could feel each of her hip bones separately and her ribs.

At that point I brought her inside. I have two big dogs that aren't keen on the idea. I've tried to introduce them and have done everything the experts say but it's really slow going. The cat doesn't mind the dogs at all. They are the ones with the problem. Right now she is in the guest room and comes out an hour or two each day. I would love to find a really great, loving home for her.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey Buckeye,

Just wanted to let you know that I am another Buckeye fan. We lived in Columbus Oh for 9 years and I have been a fan ever since that time. Boy, I wish they would do better in their bowl games. Oh well, at least they make it to the championship games.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Red, keep asking around, and put up a nice poster with her picture and story in your vet's office. I've found some great homes by using a great picture and a sad story! Those who have ever done rescue know what I mean! I don't really recommend Craigslist, but you can try it if you are willing to check out the potential adopters (get a vet reference) pretty closely.

You are wonderful to take in this kitty--GOLD STAR!

The cat/dog thing is tough--I've got a foster dog right now that the cats hate! I don't know if it will ever get better. What she's got in that guest room is a lot better than what she had, so don't feel bad about locking her up for safety.

Good luck!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dreamer - I went to the game last year and it was rough. At least I could change the channel this year when things started to get ugly. They're all good kids who work hard and we're proud of them but it sure would be nice to win the big one!

I surfed Petco during the game so I kept my spirits up looking for a new kitty!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's a tough one. We have 4 kitties, and yes, they do tie us down - especially since they have different food needs (one will eat everything in sight, so it's hard to leave them home alone with a bowl full of food!) We've talked about downsizing - if we lose one, we won't replace it. But we don't want that to happen. Our problem is that our youngest turned 10 last summer, and the oldest is probably 13 or so (don't know exactly, she was an adult when we adopted her). So in the next 5 or so years, we'll be going through some agony, I'm sure.

I can't imagine being pet-less, even though it would be less work & money, and more flexibility to come & go.

And yes, being a foster would be a nice thing to do! But I'd probably end up keeping the foster critter(s). I get attached to any pet that comes into my life in about 3 minutes...

Also, yes, getting 2 at a time is a wonderful thing. I volunteered at an animal shelter for many years, and it was so sad to see littermates who had been together for many years facing separation.

I wish you the best in your decision!

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote