No cell phone

For me, my cell phone is a replacement for my landline. It's just portable, and cheaper.

It has internet capability but I almost never use that function any more. Years ago I liked using the internet from my phone for the novelty of it, but by now the appeal has waned.

I was concerned when I dropped my landline, that businesses would expect me to have two phone numbers, one for landline and one for cell. But when I tell them I only have a cell number, they never seem to care.

My past job got me hooked and now I can't break the habit of having one own my life. LOL I did a lot of business from my phone during my working years. I literally be lost with out one. I go for a walk and I have to have it with me a habit that I had to have at my career job.
In a way I'm very glad I have that habit. I'm in the back country and if something happened to me I might have a chance because of a cell phone.

I have a google voice number that I use for SMS/text messages. Some identity verification systems, however, do not deal well with non-traditional, non-post paid contract cell phones.

I have had issues recently with:
- IRS transcripts

I know that IRS has evolved to allow other identification channels. .......

I'm going to check into that google voice sms/text msg part, I just got a google voice and use it with an obahai device for totally free phone calls in USA and to Canada.

As for the IRS, they sent my phone a text , and the same phone type and same plan failed for my DW. Both are pre-paid plans of the same type & carrier and same age as I switched us both years ago.

So systems are not totally smooth yet.

in this world, you cannot function without one.
Trying to verify my identity on my internet provider, the only choice is to have a cell phone.

I have a cell phone, but I've probably made less than three phone calls in the last several years. For me it's a mini portable computer. I text my wife, check the weather, read news feeds, find shows to watch on Netflix, etc.

Like you, I'm annoyed that everything now days wants to send a verification code to my phone. I don't have my cell phone with me unless I leave the house, so it's really inconvenient to have to go get the phone anytime I want to access a secure web site these days.

We use Tracfone as our provider. Fairly inexpensive and does all we need to do.

I din't have a smartphone until last month when my sister threw one in my lap. Apparently, she got it free and didn't know what to do. Before that I had a cell phone that stayed turned off for 95% of the time. I.e, I didn't need it. DW and I have been retired and she has a smartphone which is enough for both of us. Most people found my lack of phone odd, and a few admired my effort to live without one. I still don't have much use for it. At home, I use computers. Outside, I focus on what I am out there for instead of fiddling with a phone.

I din't have a smartphone until last month when my sister threw one in my lap. Apparently, she got it free and didn't know what to do. Before that I had a cell phone that stayed turned off for 95% of the time. I.e, I didn't need it. DW and I have been retired and she has a smartphone which is enough for both of us. Most people found my lack of phone odd, and a few admired my effort to live without one. I still don't have much use for it. At home, I use computers. Outside, I focus on what I am out there for instead of fiddling with a phone.

Because my pre-paid phone plan does not include data, it's easy for my to ignore the phone.
I sometimes use it at home on wifi, and when traveling might use free wifi to make phone calls when in another country.

I did get a different burner sim for 3 months that had data, but found I didn't have a use for it, so went back to my regular phone only/mostly cell phone sim.

Currently I only pay $10 per year for service, (it's a legacy service no longer offered) so I'm keeping it until I'm really sure something better comes along.

Let's see, a few things I do with my phone:

Texts, calls
Set reminders
Grocery list
photos
email (besides PC)
check stocks
read BBC news feeds
weather
Lastpass for logins/passwords
Google assistant (or Siri) for questions I have
Travel related: translator, Yelp, etc.
Look up stuff if bored in dentist/doc office
Quora discussions
Amazon cloud cam
Chase bank transactions
emergency notices from Cal Fire, county sources
alarm, countdown timer
Google maps for driving or walking around while in big cities
etc., etc.

Really think cell phones (the better ones) are very useful.

Currently I only pay $10 per year for service, (it's a legacy service no longer offered) so I'm keeping it until I'm really sure something better comes along.

I had similar service from T-Mobile until the smartphone.

I carry my laptop on longer "outs." Most places have wifi which I can use.

My smartphone is with me at all times. Mainly, it's how I communicate with family and friends via text, email, social media, and yes, occasionally by voice call or video call. Though voice is probably the least-used method of communicating lately. Our kids and grandkids are all nearby and we all coordinate activities every day using our phones.

The second most used feature is the camera. DW and I take pictures and video every day (grandkids, projects, activities), which are automatically uploaded to both Google and Amazon so we can view them on the TV at the end of the day. We also like the sharing capability and search function using facial recognition, location, and other features.

Third most useful capability is GPS navigation with real-time traffic updates, POIs, and other features. I turn it on even when I know exactly where I'm going because both Waze and Google Maps do an excellent job of getting you around slowdowns.

It's also a necessity for Uber and Lyft, which we are using more and more when we travel. I use Pandora and Tidal for music and I also listen to podcasts while working in the shop. It's necessary to monitor our Wyze security cam. We use it for boarding airplanes and getting into sports/performance venues whenever possible. Also using it more for picking up purchases using lockers at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. It's pretty much a necessity when traveling to get real-time flight status updates, gate changes, etc. It's also needed for 2FA authentication at Fidelity using VIP Access. Also keep my password application on the phone so my complex passwords are always accessible. And when I'm waiting in line somewhere or otherwise have some downtime, it's convenient to catch-up on news, weather, social media, or just play a video game.

Without my smartphone, I would be lost in space. I suppose it's easy to say I don't need all that stuff... until the gate changes on your flight twice while you're grabbing some lunch between flights. That happened to us last Sept. I like keeping up with technology in general, but smartphones in particular have made me more productive and enhanced my life in more ways than I could possibly list here.

Ditto!

I have an old flip phone I use only to make the occasional phone call when away from home. My wife has a smart phone, but the vast majority of the time she doesn't *need* it.

I have an old flip phone I use only to make the occasional phone call when away from home. My wife has a smart phone, but the vast majority of the time she doesn't *need* it.

We are similar. Sure, there are times when it is very convenient and we use it (DW's smartphone that is). But we are not "slaves" to it like many others.

Use it for convenience ----> :cool:
Use if for sending senseless texts, watching mindless youtube videos, playing games over doing other productive things, ....> :facepalm:

I know people notice other folks using their smart phones a lot in public, but why do they assume they are slaves or that most people indeed are slaves to their phones?

OK, I admit if I see someone holding their phone to their ear or attempting to text or read said phone while driving I assume there is something seriously wrong with their judgement. And it may be fairly common but still does not seem to involve most people.

We find that the smart phone is an incredibly useful personal gadget, especially when paired with a watch. But I don’t think that makes us slaves by any means.

OK I might be a slave to my (no cell) iPad, LOL! But before that I always had my nose in a book or computer, so what’s different?

In my 36 years at work, I was on the phone all day, every day. Every time I put the phone down, it would ring in a very high paced job.

Since retiring 10 years ago, I hate to think of all the money spent on cellphone service and cellphones. But since I seldom ever even speak on the telephone, I have difficulties finding my phones and keeping them charged.

I lived 36 years without a cellphone, and I no longer need one. My wife has one with her when we travel, but she seldom uses it either. Life is so peaceful without having to deal with that phone.

I didn't like being tethered at work and I certainly don't want to be in retirement. With that said, I do have a smart phone but I don't give out the number. I've had the same number for 15+ years now, and the only calls I get are from the DW and random sales calls. The phone rings about once a month and if I'm home I know it's not worth answering.

I do use it for monitoring my email and checking stock quotes when I'm traveling but not much else.

Last edited:
And where are the IPods today?
The iPod Touch was a prototype for the iPhone and, of course, every smart phone has iPod capabilities.

DW wanted a smartphone to replace her Motorola Startac flip phone in 2012. I got her a used 4s for $100. It is now my phone after she upgraded to an 8Plus.

Last edited:
I'm retired and have no problem not being tethered to my phone. I control the phone, it doesn't control me.
Just one of the things I really don't miss from my working years.

Retirees with landlines may be able to get along without a cell phone, but the generation following us has never lived without one. My daughters have never had a landline except for the one at our house (which is only there now because the tv/phone/internet package is cheaper than tv/internet).

Remember having to sign up for phone service and get a different phone number every time you moved to a different dorm room or apartment? Not necessary anymore. Keep the same phone number no matter where you live. Combined with all the other functionality of a smartphone, that little piece of technology becomes a very useful, sometimes necessary, tool.

I think cell phones are great. Especially my iPhone XR just bought a few months ago. Some of those cheaper phones might be a poor experience.

But you are free to ignore cell phones.

Thinking about getting an XR to replace my old 5s, which is on it’s last leg. Pls tell us how you like your XR.

Thinking about getting an XR to replace my old 5s, which is on it’s last leg. Pls tell us how you like your XR.

My previous phone was a Nexus 6P (Google). I'm now quite impressed by the iPhone and should have made the change a few years ago. The XR has a great battery and camera. The FaceID works very well with many apps for login/password injection. The phone fits nicely in my pocket. For me, the screen size is slightly smaller (narrower) but it's easier to get out of the pocket.

There are several online reviews that one might browse. To me the price was fair given the competitor pricing.

The iPod Touch was a prototype for the iPhone and, of course, every smart phone has iPod capabilities.

I have an iTouch 6G that’s used a lot more than my iPhone. It’s smaller, lighter and has much more storage. It’s wi-fi only, so no chance of using cell data. It can place and receive phone calls through Ooma.

Last time I was at an Apple Store I asked about the future of the Touch. The answer was that they were still selling and that a popular segment was parents buying them for their kids.

I’d like them to continue the Touch line, but not hopeful.

I also have a 2005 iPod (with click wheel and hard drive) and ~2009 Nano. The Nano picks up radio using the earpiece as antenna, which is nice. I’m surprised both of those have lasted so long.

Put me in the group of I leave my phone at home when DW is with me as all the kids know to call her if they need me!

Back
Top Bottom