Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I didn't like being tethered at work and I certainly don't want to be in retirement.
I'm retired and have no problem not being tethered to my phone. I control the phone, it doesn't control me.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And where are the IPods today?
The iPod Touch was a prototype for the iPhone and, of course, every smart phone has iPod capabilities.

DW wanted a smartphone to replace her Motorola Startac flip phone in 2012. I got her a used 4s for $100. It is now my phone after she upgraded to an 8Plus.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'm retired and have no problem not being tethered to my phone. I control the phone, it doesn't control me.
Just one of the things I really don't miss from my working years.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirees with landlines may be able to get along without a cell phone, but the generation following us has never lived without one. My daughters have never had a landline except for the one at our house (which is only there now because the tv/phone/internet package is cheaper than tv/internet).

Remember having to sign up for phone service and get a different phone number every time you moved to a different dorm room or apartment? Not necessary anymore. Keep the same phone number no matter where you live. Combined with all the other functionality of a smartphone, that little piece of technology becomes a very useful, sometimes necessary, tool.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I think cell phones are great. Especially my iPhone XR just bought a few months ago. Some of those cheaper phones might be a poor experience.

But you are free to ignore cell phones.
Thinking about getting an XR to replace my old 5s, which is on it’s last leg. Pls tell us how you like your XR.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Thinking about getting an XR to replace my old 5s, which is on it’s last leg. Pls tell us how you like your XR.
My previous phone was a Nexus 6P (Google). I'm now quite impressed by the iPhone and should have made the change a few years ago. The XR has a great battery and camera. The FaceID works very well with many apps for login/password injection. The phone fits nicely in my pocket. For me, the screen size is slightly smaller (narrower) but it's easier to get out of the pocket.

There are several online reviews that one might browse. To me the price was fair given the competitor pricing.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The iPod Touch was a prototype for the iPhone and, of course, every smart phone has iPod capabilities.

I have an iTouch 6G that’s used a lot more than my iPhone. It’s smaller, lighter and has much more storage. It’s wi-fi only, so no chance of using cell data. It can place and receive phone calls through Ooma.

Last time I was at an Apple Store I asked about the future of the Touch. The answer was that they were still selling and that a popular segment was parents buying them for their kids.

I’d like them to continue the Touch line, but not hopeful.

I also have a 2005 iPod (with click wheel and hard drive) and ~2009 Nano. The Nano picks up radio using the earpiece as antenna, which is nice. I’m surprised both of those have lasted so long.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Here is another source for user information on the iPhone XR:
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/iphone.99/
Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #49

Put me in the group of I leave my phone at home when DW is with me as all the kids know to call her if they need me!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a cell phone, but my husband doesn't.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Here is another source for user information on the iPhone XR:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/iphone.99/

I notice in the Buyer’s Guide section (a great resource) there’s a mention of the possibility of an iTouch 7G! If that comes to pass, I’m all over it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm going to check into that google voice sms/text msg part, I just got a google voice and use it with an obahai device for totally free phone calls in USA and to Canada...
I have two GV numbers. One is used with our Obi-200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline service. The other is used with Hangouts on my mobile phone for all texting, voice calls, and video calls. My phone has an actual phone number from Ting, but I don't even know what it is. The only number I provide to people is my GV number. And I have all conventional text/voice functionality disabled using the Ting device setup.

This has a number of advantages: (1) no spam calls or texts, (2) I don't pay Ting for voice or text usage, (3) I only pay Ting for mobile data usage when not in a WiFi area (rare), (4) when I'm overseas, I can call the US for free in a WiFi area, and (5) voicemail transcript sent as text or email, so I know immediately if I missed a call on the home phone.

A couple disadvantages: (1) voice quality can be sketchy if I'm not in a WiFi or 4G area (increasingly rare), (2) Most verification systems work fine with GV, but as gauss mentioned, some don't recognize GV as a legitimate mobile number. They think it's a VoIP number. I had trouble signing up with Uber for this reason. Uber eventually accepted the GV number but only after I opened a trouble ticket and some back and forth email with their tech support. There have been a few other instances like this but there is almost always an alternative means of verification like email.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I have two GV numbers. One is used with our Obi-200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline service. The other is used with Hangouts on my mobile phone for all texting, voice calls, and video calls. My phone has an actual phone number from Ting, but I don't even know what it is. The only number I provide to people is my GV number. And I have all conventional text/voice functionality disabled using the Ting device setup.

This has a number of advantages: (1) no spam calls or texts, (2) I don't pay Ting for voice or text usage, (3) I only pay Ting for mobile data usage when not in a WiFi area (rare), (4) when I'm overseas, I can call the US for free in a WiFi area, and (5) voicemail transcript sent as text or email, so I know immediately if I missed a call on the home phone.

A couple disadvantages: (1) voice quality can be sketchy if I'm not in a WiFi or 4G area (increasingly rare), (2) Most verification systems work fine with GV, but as gauss mentioned, some don't recognize GV as a legitimate mobile number. They think it's a VoIP number. I had trouble signing up with Uber for this reason. Uber eventually accepted the GV number but only after I opened a trouble ticket and some back and forth email with their tech support. There have been a few other instances like this but there is almost always an alternative means of verification like email.
Cobra,

Your setup is quite similar to mine. I will throw out the one ongoing problem I have with my setup to see if you have it also.

I have 2 GV numbers. One goes to the house phones via VOIP and I have this one setup so that outbound callerID from the house line sends the actual GV number -- which is what I want.

On my cellphone howerver, which the 2nd GV number points to, if I make a voice call to someone while on the cell network, I can only send the cellphone callerid - not the GV number. Friends get annoyed when they see the strange number.

Does your setup work so that GV numbers are sent out with CALLERID on both your home line and your mobile line?

Thanks
-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #54

Disclaimer: I'm a very light cell phone user.

I've made it a tradition to buy a TracFone from HSN on Christmas day every year.

Here's the one I got this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BTCeYUHLZMI

1500 minutes (a little over two hours per month)
1500 texts
1500 MB Data
USB & Car charger
1 year service

Total $108.00
Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Cobra,

Your setup is quite similar to mine. I will throw out the one ongoing problem I have with my setup to see if you have it also.

I have 2 GV numbers. One goes to the house phones via VOIP and I have this one setup so that outbound callerID from the house line sends the actual GV number -- which is what I want.

On my cellphone howerver, which the 2nd GV number points to, if I make a voice call to someone while on the cell network, I can only send the cellphone callerid - not the GV number. Friends get annoyed when they see the strange number.

Does your setup work so that GV numbers are sent out with CALLERID on both your home line and your mobile line?

Thanks
-gauss
Yes. People I call see my GV numbers on their caller ID for both my home and mobile. For mobile, it's the same answer whether I'm on WiFi or Ting mobile data. I think perhaps this is because we use Ting, which has a fairly elaborate "device setup" functionality on their website. I used this to disable all voice/text on my Ting phone number. For voice and text, I only use their mobile data network in conjunction with Hangouts, and even then only when not in WiFi.

I set it up years ago, but I remember spending quite a lot of time going through the settings on: (1) Google Voice, (2) Hangouts, and (3) Ting. It took several iterations of experimenting and coordinating the 3 settings. But I eventually got it working as desired. I would suggest that you very carefully walk through all the settings again.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I know people notice other folks using their smart phones a lot in public, but why do they assume they are slaves or that most people indeed are slaves to their phones?

OK, I admit if I see someone holding their phone to their ear or attempting to text or read said phone while driving I assume there is something seriously wrong with their judgement. And it may be fairly common but still does not seem to involve most people.

We find that the smart phone is an incredibly useful personal gadget, especially when paired with a watch. But I don’t think that makes us slaves by any means.

OK I might be a slave to my (no cell) iPad, LOL! But before that I always had my nose in a book or computer, so what’s different?
I agree phones are useful, with camera, calculator, wifi connection, and actually phoning, they are tiny computers that are handy.

When I think people are slaves to it, is when I see them grocery shopping and they stop in the aisles staring into their phone and are still their when I walk by again, and peek to see they are texting...

Or they are on an hour long train ride to the city, constantly looking at something on the phone, then get off the train walk up to the street and then walk 6 blocks with their nose in the phone again... It's not an emergency, and they nearly walk into things and others.

I once stopped a phone slave from walking off the curb into oncoming cars, as they don't even look up. They just walk when the person in front of them moves at a crosswalk. (that person was not on a phone and took a risk and then ran). I grabbed their arm and shouted CAR!, they were like "uhhh oh thanks". Then probably texted their "friends" how someone saved their life.

I'm a computer slave.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Generally I'm into this stuff for the information content. Just too curious about a lot of things. My social circle is exceedingly small.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #58

I gave up the land line when I moved back in 2004. Haven't had one, or the expenses that go with one, since then. The company (both prior and present) pay my monthly cell phone bill. The land line was very expensive, inlcuding the taxes. And limited. And I had to keep up several cordless telephones and an answering machine. And pay for electricity for all of these. Once I got a cell phone, I also had to check voice mail, in addition to the answering machine. Life is so much simpler with just a cell/smart phone. I consider it a safety requirement for travel, or walking. GPS is essential for navigation. I can get instantaneous texts for all financial transactions, so I'll know right away if there are any unanticipated charges. I only have to include one phone number for all my accounts. I could go on and on.

But some (like my aging mother with late stage dementia) could not handle a cell phone. I get it. In her last year, I had to switch her cordless phone to a corded phone so she could still use it.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Just one of the things I really don't miss from my working years.
I had a phone when I worked, too. And a computer. Now I get to use both of them when and exactly how I want.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
. And I had to keep up several cordless telephones

That right there is the best argument to me for keeping a landline . . . so you leave your phone in the living room, trip over the dog and break your leg, just how far do you want to drag yourself to call for help? Old way you probably had a phone in most rooms.
badatmath is online now   Reply With Quote