Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #21

I'll second taking a year to sort things out, having been divorced myself years ago. If buying an RV is "petty cash" for you then by all means do it, but if it will be relatively heavy outlay then I'd say think it through more carefully, perhaps renting one for a couple of weeks to make sure that lifestyle will be a good fit. If it turns out not to be what you want then you're only out a few grand and you'll have learned something about yourself.

There are lots of RV for sale now, and if it turns out to be a mistake then you'll take heavy loss on it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Good advice, and remember, she has a machine gun...
"Say hallow to my little fren".....
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

I was divorced many years ago and it was my decision . I still experienced many mixed emotions for quite awhile .Plus you are retiring at the same time which brings with it ,it's on set of emotional changes . So take it slow and enjoy your new found freedom .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never been in that position and really don't have much advice other than to take it easy for the first year until you're absolutely sure of how you feel and what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
"Say hallow to my little fren".....
Thanks for that bit of info HFWR...machine gun..huh?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Never been in that position and really don't have much advice other than to take it easy for the first year until you're absolutely sure of how you feel and what you want.
Thanks for that bit of info HFWR...machine gun..huh?
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...72&postcount=6

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
gone traveling

Go for it! From you responses, you obviously don't want another house right now, and a nice RV is a hell of a lot more comfortable than a tent or a pop-up if you are going to use it as a semi-permanent home for a while.
Plus, you'll need to have somewhere to entertain all those gold-diggers you've been warned about.

Enjoy your newfound freedom.

UncleMick will let you know about the curmudgeon certification process.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Travel light at first
Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel light at first

Personally, in the same circumstance, I would buy a modest-size motorcycle or maxi-scooter; buy a camping hammock, like a Hennessey; and plan to stay out in modest-end motels and/or camp. Buy your food, don't bother to cook. See much of the country.

If you've got the same wanderlust after 6 months to a year, after experiencing weather changes on the road, THEN buy the RV.
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Friend of mine has been married over 50 years and the marriage is more-or-less for the kids/grandkids/great grandkids. Also wants to live the life traveling in the RV like you as each goes their own way now. I think this is a dream you share with many people out there.
Personally, I don't think you are egotistical or stupid. I say go for it! Enjoy a great adventure while you have the will and the health!
And it sounds as if the marriage is pretty dead to me. Moving on....
Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #29

I just see the title of this thread. First thing that pops into my mind.

Country music hit.

Ok carry on sorry!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

There needs to be a smiley with a big smile and a little tear down the cheek. This unemotional "tough guy" loves y'all.

BTW, as far as gold diggers---if we meet, I guarantee that I'll get what I want and they'll get what they deserve. Women with a desire for an honest relationship will be met with cautious optimism.
noworkethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
As a divorcee, I would recommend that a newly divorced man or woman should not seek another partner right away, even though you may feel you need to - - at least, in my case it really helped to take a couple of years to get to know myself, by myself, first. And no, you will not end up a lonely curmudgeon. There are plenty of potential partners out there to connect with later on when you are ready for that. This is a good time to discover you, and what you want in life.
I agree with W2R: wait a year to even think about dating seriously. You want to get to know yourself as a single person who is NOT in a relationship. So many people jump into a new marriage or relationship immediately after divorce, being afraid they will end up "alone."

Frankly, we all end up alone. Growing old with the one you love is probably a blessing but from my personal experience, having witnessed the death of both parents and both in-laws, people very rarely die with their spouse at their bedside.

So, as one single person to another, enjoy getting to know who you are at this stage of life and find peace with yourself. You will never get another chance.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
.As long as no one was screwed over in the dissolution.
I was probably screwed over for 60 or 70k, but that's ok because it's the first time I've been screwed for quite a while.
noworkethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
... because it's the first time I've been screwed for quite a while.
Good one!

I second the small used RV suggestion. Have you heard of Lazy Daze? Argueably the best Class C motorhome around. Before this financial mess, used Lazy Dazes cost at least 50% more than a comparable some-other-brand units. Thanks to the downturn, they can now be had for about the same price.

If this is your first exposure to motorhomes, try a 23 footer. Big enough for one person, small enough to drive and park almost everywhere.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I second the small used RV suggestion. Have you heard of Lazy Daze? Argueably the best Class C motorhome around.
I think Martha has some first hand experience.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Am I insensitive in not mourning this marriage which should have been put out of it's misery years ago?"

Nah. Your supposed to feel good once a millstone is removed from your neck.
As the others have suggested. Don't go buck wild with your new found freedom but definitely savor it.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think Martha has some first hand experience.
I do too. Mine is much older than hers, but it ages extremely well. It's really built like a tank.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote