Join Early Retirement Today

No more premium gas cars for me
Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Administrator

No more premium gas cars for me

Our car was purchased new in '06. Back then the difference between regular and premium gasoline was $.20 per gallon. I did the numbers, expected the additional fuel cost would be around $75 per year, so we went for it - a car that requires premium fuel.

The additional cost for premium gas then rose to $.25. 2 years ago it rose to $.50. late spring this year is went to $0.60, and yesterday at Costco it was at $0.70. We put 15k miles per year, get around 23mpg, so the additional cost is now over $400. It won't break the bank, but over 5 or 6 years it is a sizable amount of money.

Premium gasoline - first and last time for us.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Subaru takes premium and I have experienced the same thing you have... though the other day I got premium for only 20 cents more than regular... so low that when I entered the price in Gas Buddy it said that it was low and asked me if I was sure.

The car we just ordered last week takes regular.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

The additional cost for premium gas then rose to $.25. 2 years ago it rose to $.50. late spring this year is went to $0.60, and yesterday at Costco it was at $0.70. We put 15k miles per year, get around 23mpg, so the additional cost is now over $400. It won't break the bank, but over 5 or 6 years it is a sizable amount of money.

Premium gasoline - first and last time for us.
I know the differential for premium can very widely by country. And lately (in St. Louis), I noticed it now has a $.40 premium over regular unleaded, compared to the $.30 premium it had been at for several years (before that, it had a standard $.20 premium).

But don't forget that in some places, the top premium can be 91 octane, other places it's 93 octane. Don't forget to look at that when comparing prices, as that might also be a factor.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

I have a Maxima and an Audi A5. They both call for premium gas. Ive never used it and they dont need it.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My turbo Subaru also requires premium. I just filled up at a $.57/gal premium over regular gas. I figure that premium fuel has cost me over $2500 over the last 11.5 years compared to if I had used regular. I could almost pay for a new engine with that. I'll keep this car until it dies but after that I will never use premium fuel again.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a 2001 BMW. It gets regular gas only. Few cars actually "need" premium.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have a Subaru turbo that runs on E85, so I actually pay a bit less than regular.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I have a 2001 BMW. It gets regular gas only. Few cars actually "need" premium.
cars that run decently high boost do - get on it too hard and you can blow the engine, unless the ecu automatically detunes it for you, which makes it drive like a dog
Old 10-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

high test shouldn't be much over 25 cents a gallon from regular - i'll look next time I fill up my wife's turbo subaru
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I have a Maxima and an Audi A5. They both call for premium gas. Ive never used it and they dont need it.
I have never owned a car that called for premium, but I've always heard that the car's computer can generally compensate, so you should only buy premium if you start experiencing an engine knock.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My Lexus has 12.5:1 compression ratio--and it gets 89 octane. Our Civic SI gets 91 octane. Thankfully the Explorer gets 87 octane and the diesel p/u gets diesel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I have a Subaru turbo that runs on E85, so I actually pay a bit less than regular.

How much did it cost to modify it to run on E85?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have never owned a car that called for premium, but I've always heard that the car's computer can generally compensate, so you should only buy premium if you start experiencing an engine knock.
+1....and Ive never had any knocking.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
+1....and Ive never had any knocking.
most of the time you won't hear a knock event until it's too late
Old 10-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
How much did it cost to modify it to run on E85?
let's see - the injectors were about $500 and the fuel pump was about $200, then I had it tuned so I could switch maps back and forth from 91

so maybe a grand? it puts down 420 awd ft pounds of torque on e85
Old 10-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There is a difference between a car that 'recommends' premium and one that 'requires' premium....

I had an Acura TL and it was recommended.... but in the book it said you could use regular... it just retuned the engine... and it was NOT a dog on regular...

I know that some sports cars require premium.... and you can pay dearly if you do not use it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #17

All my cars burn premium. Never even thought of the extra cost or tried to calculate it. Just part of the cost of a premium ride in my opinion.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I know that some sports cars require premium.... and you can pay dearly if you do not use it...
exactly - when you are running 20+ pounds of boost you'd better not get cheap on the fuel
Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'm desensitized to paying a higher prices for premium. I've been driving a number of higher performance (typically higher compression) cars for years and they all recommend premium, (although most seem to run okay on regular in a pinch.) Not sure I'd want to run a steady diet of regular in those cars.

I've actually seen (measured) the difference between regular and premium gas in competitive driving conditions in higher compression engines. 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile ET's. I've also read claims that you get more mileage out of premium but I've never actually measured it myself since there are to many variables and to be honest, I don't really care if I get a mile per gallon more or less.

BTW, the price difference in my area is between 30 and 40 cent per gallon depending on the station.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

My car "requires" premium. It has an anti-knock sensor, and the forums say that using a lower octane gas will retard the ignition, and reduce the gas mileage. So you won't save money. I've tried regular and mid-grade, and I can't really tell much of a difference in performance. YMMV
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote