Join Early Retirement Today

Nomad's Internet
Old 03-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nomad's Internet

I wonder what people use to connect to the Internet when they travel a lot of have more then one residents ?

Thx

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I wonder what people use to connect to the Internet when they travel a lot of have more then one residents ?

Thx
Data plan hotspots and coffee shops.
Athermos4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two different kinds of situations, typically.

1) For vacation travel to various places, we always look for lodging (Airbnb, hotel, etc.) that has free WiFi. While out and about, being tourists, we just use our phones for Internet access.

2) For travel to a vacation home, we would have the home setup for HSI from the local telco or cable company. For months when we don't plan to be there, we put the HSI account on "vacation hold".
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I tried out this interesting hotspot device from T-mobile. If a person's phone does not have data it seemed useful.

However since many folks have unlimited data on the phone, why not just hotspot it when you need to use the computer. If one didn't stream movies, then even low data limits of 20GB might be enough.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #5

We have used a Teppy to good effect: https://travelwifi.com/en/products/buy-teppy

We only used it on one trip (Brazil), so I don't have extensive experience, but it worked well for that trip.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We have unlimited data plans. We use our personal hotspot on our cell phones to connect tablets, laptops, etc...... Works a bit slower but still works
Old 03-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

These days almost every AirBnB and hotel has WiFi, even in third world countries. We were on photo safari one time in the Masai Mara, Kenya at a camp that had only solar power and they had an "internet lounge" tent.

Where cell phone coverage is within range, Google FI covers about 200 countries and the data is the same as we pay in the US $10/gig for only what we use. Never any screwing around with local SIM cards.

Our lake home has fiber to the house. We are on the lowest cost plan which is 50meg up and down.

Connectivity worries are pretty much a thing of the past.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Cell phone hotspot works for me just about anywhere there's cell service.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #9

Speaking of "Nomad Internet": https://nomadinternet.com/
Old 03-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #10

Many times you can sit in the parking lot of Mcdonalds, Starbucks, etc., plus public libraries, and connect while sitting in your car.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

How secure is WiFi at a B&B or McD's, etc? Back in the day, I occasionally used unlocked "neighbor's" WiFi, but I read that it was not secure. At the time, I didn't keep much on my computer that could be stolen. Not so sure about that now.

When we travel to our mainland "home" we sign up for TV and Internet for 3 months or how ever long we plan to be there. It's kind of expensive as there are few discounts for such short use.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
How secure is WiFi at a B&B or McD's, etc? Back in the day, I occasionally used unlocked "neighbor's" WiFi, but I read that it was not secure. At the time, I didn't keep much on my computer that could be stolen. Not so sure about that now.

They aren’t very secure, but you can use a quality VPN to protect yourself. Don’t use a free one. You get what you pay for.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:51 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
They aren’t very secure, but you can use a quality VPN to protect yourself. Don’t use a free one. You get what you pay for.
Also keep in mind that whatsapp is end to end encrypted, even over Public WiFi. Using cell phone data plan connected sessions are also more secure. Browse this website at a cafe, buy stocks on the cell carrier data connection with a vpn tunnel.
Athermos4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

additional residences = additional cable internet accounts

We had xfinity cable/internet plan in Illinois and Cox cable/internet plan in Arizona. Cox' plan allowed us turn the plan on when we got to Az and turn it off when we left with a reduced monthly cost when we weren't there.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:41 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We have Verizon FIOS at our primary home, Xfinity for our Jersey Shore home, and our Florida condo building has a dedicated fiber optic setup for the 240 or so condos. The condo owners paid for the fiber optic lines for a few years, but now is a minimal cost.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Connectivity worries are pretty much a thing of the past.
Not so fast! We moved to country home on the fringes of a metroplex and there are very few options for true unlimited AND fast Internet.

For true the nomad, check out Visible mobile. We are using T-Mobile home broadband which has been the best so far.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
Not so fast! We moved to country home on the fringes of a metroplex and there are very few options for true unlimited AND fast Internet. ...
Well, "unlimited and fast" are pretty tough criteria for judging "connectivity." You will have trouble finding "connectivity" many places in the US and the world if that is your definition. Kind of a first world problem, actually. For me, "connectivity" means I can send and receive normal email, maybe browse reuters.com and news.google.com and (joy of joys!) download this week's Economist magazine to my tablet.

@Koolau, Re security I don't worry too much about it when using public networks. I travel with my phone and a Google tablet, neither of which have ever been used to connect to banks, brokerage, or other critical accounts and neither ever will be. The computer I use for those tasks is moved to my gun safe when we're headed out on a trip.

Both the phone and the tablet are at risk of loss or theft, possibly with higher probability than wifi compromise. That is the most important reason why they are "sterile" of any critical account information.

I also continue to scratch my head, wondering why anyone would want to contact their bank or broker when sitting in a public place, coffee shop, or restaurant. But I'm not a day trader either.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #18

I watched a youtube on this once. The full time RV/boat nomads that ran internet marketing biz used 1.)HotSpots when reliable/available 2.) multiple paid hotspots through AT/T, Verizon for redundancy 3.) 3 Cell phones with different providers then they had some fancy devices to connect them all. Then they tweak settings for like thin-client mode in super remote spotty slow or latent areas of the US where they basically disable voice/video and just browse minimally etc. ONe thing I was always worried about sailing and riding motorcycle was weather...so I built my own page on the internet optimized for very small page loads and radar, with even a daily vid forecast that strams low quality when needed. That thing has saved me from getting wet MANY times. Gotta adapt to everything.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

For more then one residence I'm hearing lots of buzz for Starlink, they are launching satellites constantly and expanding the service area...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
For more then one residence I'm hearing lots of buzz for Starlink, they are launching satellites constantly and expanding the service area...
Yeah. I'm watching that for a different reason; the availability (albeit with difficulty) of uncensored and maybe unjammable internet in walled-off dictatorships could be a world-changer.