Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Nords, and I love the book covers!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Nords, was just perusing your blog and website. Beautifully done.
Thanks, I've learned a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Funny, that sewage story.
Some long memories out there, too. I've been hearing from a number of long-time Pearl Harbor homesteaders who know exactly which characters were in the story. They've all said either "Yeah, that was a classic!" or "Oh, so that's what happened..."

My daughter had just subscribed to the blog last weekend, so that was the first blog post she's read in her e-mail. While she was home last month we had a little talk about how her personal hygiene & laundry standards contrast with those of the typical submariner, and what's gonna have to change if she wants to be earning submarine pay. Turns out she's thought all these years that the phrase "submariner shower" was a joke.

I wonder when I'll hear from her again.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your nominations and patience on the covers for "The Military Guide" and the pocket guide. I've attached them below. I've also summarized the process (and the other nominations) over at the blog.

The book is being typeset as I post this, and the pocket guide is next. Both are tentatively scheduled to roll their galleys off the presses in February/March for proofreading. Impact Publications has also posted my author's biography on their website. Let me know if you see something that needs to be added or changed. Their webmaster's been very helpful.

Impact is releasing a new catalog in the next week or two that will include both the book and the pocket guide.

Whether you love the covers or hate them, feel free to spread the word about them!

Thanks again to all the blog visitors-- last Sunday had 112 hits, an all-time high on top of the busiest week so far...
Dang ... I was going to suggest "Tango Mike Golf" to Financial Planning. LOL
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The book covers definitely catch my eye. Congratulations Nords! I wish for you complete success.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats! What a great accomplishment...!
v5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v5200 View Post
Congrats! What a great accomplishment...!
So what is the next one going to be about?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Heard he's already collaborating with ReW on a project; working title is

"Now, get off my lawn"
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about this cover. You would sell more books:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1194_580x.jpg (68.3 KB, 2 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well, I'm open to suggestions, but I'm hardly getting started on this one and we have a long way to go before it's "done".

The real work begins when the manuscript is finished-- I expect to spend most of 2011 on marketing. I'd also like to work with the facilitators of the military's transition-assistance programs and the state veteran's agencies, although I haven't done anything yet. Somewhere in there could be a book tour of the nation's top 10 military bases and their exchanges, although I haven't done anything with that one yet either. Maybe the publisher or distributor could furnish the contacts, or maybe that's yet another one handled by the author. I'll have to ask Bob Clyatt how he did his book tour, but I'm pretty sure it didn't involve private jets or stretch limos.

Following the Clyatt/Kaderli example, the next book would be the second edition-- with more solutions to financial independence, more answers to "But whaddya DO all day?!?", and more personal stories from servicemembers & veterans. (Some of Impact's authors are on their 13th or 14th editions.) Maybe I'll write it, or maybe someone else wants to step up to the plate for their turn.

Blogging can fill every spare moment of your time. I have two pages of topic one-liners for new posts, and another page of search terms used by readers to find the blog. Fresh ideas roll in every day. I get a couple ideas a week just from the threads here. The nice thing about WordPress is that I can write them, schedule them in the posting hopper, and move on to the next topic. WordPress even has a utility designed to organize blog posts into a book.

Looks like you just gave me the subject line of another blog post... I'll have more on that in a week or two!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, I'm open to suggestions, but I'm hardly getting started on this one and we have a long way to go before it's "done".
I just didn't want you to become complacent in your new J*b. (I apologize for being a little premature.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
How about this cover. You would sell more books:
Where did you get a pic of my Russian mail order bride?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote