Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
If I was building a house I would design it with a toilet, bidet, and small sink to fit comfortably in a separate room next to the tub/shower, larger sink and dressing area.

Cheers!
Me, too.
Alas, our 1960 ranch has the sink/toilet/bath-shower all lined up next to each other on the same wall.
Luckily, we have 2.5 bathrooms, so it helps.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm just happy to have a house with 2 bathrooms !

When we travel, often hotel rooms have 1 bathroom, and our timing seems to be in sync.
It requires communication and cooperation
Old 07-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Huh? Is it new that the toilet NOT be in it's own special closed-door mini room? No

When we remodeled we actually took that down to make the room one open space. The master bath itself still has a door, and if there were a "scheduling conflict" DH and I know to use the other bathroom...
This is what we did when we remodeled. Looks much better than with the toilet in its own 'room'.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #24

It depends on the size of the bathroom. I just measured our 3 full bathrooms. The master bathroom is 12 x 15 ft, and the toilet is in its own room with a door. The other 2, one with a walk-in shower only and the other with shower over tub, measure 5 x 10 ft. These 2 bathrooms have no partitions for the toilets as the area is simply too small.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

My grandmother had a guest bathroom that had the toilet in a separate room. I suspect she spend a lot of time in there (reading?) as grandpa had a timer attached to the light switch that you twisted to turn the light and the vent on. If i recall correctly it could be set for a long period of time ie 15 minutes or more possibly 45 minutes. I always felt a little claustrophobic in there almost as if I had walked the green mile and was waiting for a stay of execution from the governor as the timer noisily market the passage of time. : )

She also had a super cool mirror that also had side mirrored walls around the exposed sink. You would see yourself with an endless amount of smaller and smaller reflections going off into oblivion.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm just happy to have a house with 2 bathrooms !

When we travel, often hotel rooms have 1 bathroom, and our timing seems to be in sync.
It requires communication and cooperation
And usually quickness from the male.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Water closets were a big deal in larger homes with a lot of square footage dedicated to the master suite about 20 years ago. I haven’t been in a lot of large homes lately, but I don’t think many of them are adding water closets.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
It depends on the size of the bathroom. I just measured our 3 full bathrooms. The master bathroom is 12 x 15 ft, and the toilet is in its own room with a door. The other 2, one with a walk-in shower only and the other with shower over tub, measure 5 x 10 ft. These 2 bathrooms have no partitions for the toilets as the area is simply too small.
+1 Our master bathroom is only 6 1/2' x 9' and is actually the biggest master bathroom that we have ever had... so as a practical matter no room for a separate WC.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Agree on the pocket door, but the ones I’ve seen have been in spaces that wouldn’t accommodate a pocket door. My mom actually designed and built two houses like this. I’ll have to ask her what on earth she was thinking! Maybe she just doesn’t like being closed in?
Pocket doors are freaking awesome. My parents designed/built their house in the early 70s and every single interior door was a pocket door. They reasoned that it allowed more "wall space" and every room was wheel chair accessible. They owned that house until it was sold in 2018 and as far as I know, there was NEVER an issue with them.

Our current home has three pocket doors are are also pretty awesome. The bathroom for the primary bedroom (apparently the preferred term these days) doesn't have a door but there is a WC that is big enough to not feel cramped if the door is closed (not one of the pocket doors...boo!)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Personally I dislike the rattling sound pocket doors make, but they do save space.

Our current home has several - all bathroom entrances.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Maybe a travel issue?

Sometimes we stay in upscale rented houses. In those houses they sometimes have a master suite with a toilet in the master suite. Most of the time, that toilet is in a separate room with a door. Sometimes, it is just separated by a six foot wall. Open on one side.

If you have seen this, you know what I am talking about. If you have not seen it, I am making no sense. If you have seen this, is this a new thing? Is this an upscale thing that only sophisticated people are used to?
I don't think this is a new/upscale thing; I think different people prefer different arrangements like this. So, this is one of the cool things about travel! You get to see different ways that people live and different ways they arrange things like bathroom facilities. In that sense I think it's an advantage to your travel accommodations instead of everything being more or less like it is at home.

On the side topic of pocket doors - - I grew up partly in a large house built in 1905 or so, and it had lots of pocket doors. I loved them! So did my mom, until the cords inside the wall rotted and separated due to the ravages of time. I guess that happened when they were about 60 years old. She had to have a guy come out who specialized in repairing old pocket doors and I gather it cost her an arm and a leg to replace those cords. After that she was not so enamored with pocket doors.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Pocket doors are freaking awesome. My parents designed/built their house in the early 70s and every single interior door was a pocket door. They reasoned that it allowed more "wall space" and every room was wheel chair accessible. They owned that house until it was sold in 2018 and as far as I know, there was NEVER an issue with them.

Our current home has three pocket doors are are also pretty awesome. The bathroom for the primary bedroom (apparently the preferred term these days) doesn't have a door but there is a WC that is big enough to not feel cramped if the door is closed (not one of the pocket doors...boo!)
One of the issues with pocket doors is that you lack the ability to sound insulate in the space where the door has to travel.

When I added the ensuite I used sound insulation plus a solid door rather than a hollow core door. The result is that a flushing toilet in the middle of the night doesn't wake the other person up.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, this is one of the cool things about travel! You get to see different ways that people live and different ways they arrange things like bathroom facilities. In that sense I think it's an advantage to your travel accommodations instead of everything being more or less like it is at home.
Oh yeah, those shelf toilets in Austria were quite unforgettable!

I like the two button flush toilets prevalent in Europe. Small inner button less water used.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:24 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh yeah, those shelf toilets in Austria were quite unforgettable!

I like the two button flush toilets prevalent in Europe. Small inner button less water used.
The prior owner of my Dream Home here in New Orleans put in a two button toilet just like what you are describing. It's nice and does save water, although water is cheap and plentiful here so I am not sure which I prefer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
One of the issues with pocket doors is that you lack the ability to sound insulate in the space where the door has to travel.

When I added the ensuite I used sound insulation plus a solid door rather than a hollow core door. The result is that a flushing toilet in the middle of the night doesn't wake the other person up.
All of our pocket doors are six-panel solid pine.... no hollow core doors for us.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #36

I too love pocket doors. Glad to know I’m not alone.

My biggest pet peeve is functional rooms with no doors at all, which many of the master suites seem to have embraced. Our current home has a vestibule that leads to the master bath and closet, so there’s at least visual separation. But I still hear DH’s 5:30 AM shower every morning. Our last home had an arched doorway and a two sided fireplace separating the bath and bedroom. In theory, great, but zero sound and light blocking. If one of us was up, the other was too for sure. It was pretty though.

Don’t get me started on the office with no doors. Completely useless to actually get work done. If we hadn’t moved I would have installed bath doors just to be able to close off the space.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:42 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have a separate toilet room within the master suite bathroom. We even enhanced it with a VERY noisy exhaust fan.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #38

OP here. Place I am staying in has a big master bedroom. Maybe 16 x 30. In addition there is a separate walk-in closet for hanging clothes. At one end of the room is the king sized bed. At the other end of room is a 6.5 foot tall wall. this wall is about 6 feet from the end wall. Ceilings are about 9 foot so there is a gap of about 2.5 feet on top of the wall. This wall does not extend to any exterior wall. If you go to the right of the wall, you have a shower. To the left is a toilet and sink. Person standing at sink would be touching person seated on toilet. No separate ventilation for shower or toilet.

Thank you for your comments. Looks like many of you like this setup. Most of you say it is quite common.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
OP here. Place I am staying in has a big master bedroom. Maybe 16 x 30. In addition there is a separate walk-in closet for hanging clothes. At one end of the room is the king sized bed. At the other end of room is a 6.5 foot tall wall. this wall is about 6 feet from the end wall. Ceilings are about 9 foot so there is a gap of about 2.5 feet on top of the wall. This wall does not extend to any exterior wall. If you go to the right of the wall, you have a shower. To the left is a toilet and sink. Person standing at sink would be touching person seated on toilet. No separate ventilation for shower or toilet.

Thank you for your comments. Looks like many of you like this setup. Most of you say it is quite common.
No no I don't think so. You seem to be describing a bathroom that is exposed inside the Master BEDROOM? How about you sketch it out, take a pic with your phone, and upload it (because now, inquiring minds really want to know). In your original post, were you referring to "toilet" to mean bathroom, or the actual bowl/unit.

If there's no completely closed wall/door between the bed and the bathroom that is odd.
An en suite master would be a bathroom of a door-closed complete wall from the bedroom, leading to a bathroom. 95% of our debate is whether, within the confines of the enclosed bathroom the actual toilet is a separate little water closet mini room (WC) vs. open within the bathroom.

If you are saying a drone could fly from the bed to the toilet unencumbered, then that's odd, and sounds like someone hacked a bedroom into a "suite" but not in a conventional way, in order to rent out.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:38 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I asked, earlier, if OP referred to a toilet sitting out in the bedroom, where anybody could see it, like a piece of postmodern sculpture. OP hasn't responded; wonder if they've bowed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
No no I don't think so. You seem to be describing a bathroom that is exposed inside the Master BEDROOM? How about you sketch it out, take a pic with your phone, and upload it (because now, inquiring minds really want to know). In your original post, were you referring to "toilet" to mean bathroom, or the actual bowl/unit.

sounds like someone hacked a bedroom into a "suite" but not in a conventional w....ay, in order to rent out.
That's what it sounds like to me, too. "Yeah, we dropped in an "ensuite bath" so we could call it a suite on AirBnB." Would be interesting to know how they tied in the plumbing. Hope it wasn't a homemade job, as there could be unpleasant...consequences.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote