Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Non separate toilet in master suite
Old 07-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Non separate toilet in master suite

Maybe a travel issue?

Sometimes we stay in upscale rented houses. In those houses they sometimes have a master suite with a toilet in the master suite. Most of the time, that toilet is in a separate room with a door. Sometimes, it is just separated by a six foot wall. Open on one side.

If you have seen this, you know what I am talking about. If you have not seen it, I am making no sense. If you have seen this, is this a new thing? Is this an upscale thing that only sophisticated people are used to?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely Not unique and not an issue.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #3

Huh? Is it new that the toilet NOT be in it's own special closed-door mini room? No

When we remodeled we actually took that down to make the room one open space. The master bath itself still has a door, and if there were a "scheduling conflict" DH and I know to use the other bathroom...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's common.

We remodeled the master bath in our current home so an 8-foot wall hides the toilet from the sink area - turning the toilet in a different direction, so it faces one side of the shower. Before, the person at the sink would see the toilet in the sink mirror. Unattractive, unacceptable, probably even bad feng shui, so we fixed it.

I was going to have a folding door put on the front of the toilet cubicle, but the contractor said that would be unusual, and that we'd end up leaving the door open anyway. I have to say that now I agree with him.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Duplicate post deleted.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Now I am wondering: Did I misread your post? Are you talking about a toilet just sitting out there in the bedroom like some post-modern sculpture, rather than being in an ensuite bath?

That, I have not seen and would not care for at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Maybe a travel issue?

Sometimes we stay in upscale rented houses. In those houses they sometimes have a master suite with a toilet in the master suite. Most of the time, that toilet is in a separate room with a door. Sometimes, it is just separated by a six foot wall. Open on one side.

If you have seen this, you know what I am talking about. If you have not seen it, I am making no sense. If you have seen this, is this a new thing? Is this an upscale thing that only sophisticated people are used to?
Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

In my experience it is more common in the south and southwest and less so in the northeast.... I've heard it referred to as a water closet.

Quote:
Water closet is just another name for a typical gravity flush toilet. If you want to get detailed, “water closet” can also be used to describe a small room that houses a toilet. A water closet can be great to add a little privacy to a larger bathroom or shared master bath.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal opinion: I hate bathrooms where the toilet is next to the tub. Who on earth wants to take a bath with their head next to the toilet (as many have done their whole life). Taking it a step further, why do I even want to see the toilet unless I'm using it. Solutions, probably in order of cost (when building):

1) Put the toilet as far from the tub as possible (but I can still see it)
2) Put a dividing wall (not bad)
3) Put the toilet in its own little room within the bathroom suite (ideal)
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I added an ensuite to our house a couple years ago and would have put the toilet in a separate room with its own door but it wasn't possible due to space limitations and layout options.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Our house built in 2006 has the toilet in a separate little room in the master suite. All houses in our community to my knowledge have the same.
My former townhouse up North, which had a large master suite did not have a separate room for the toilet.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Now I am wondering: Did I misread your post? Are you talking about a toilet just sitting out there in the bedroom like some post-modern sculpture, rather than being in an ensuite bath?
It's not clear to me what the OP is describing either.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #12

If I was building a house I would design it with a toilet, bidet, and small sink to fit comfortably in a separate room next to the tub/shower, larger sink and dressing area.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #13

If I understand you correctly, not a new thing. Our house in the 80s had a semi-enclosed toilet in the master suite. Walled off on three sides but no door. Both my parents current houses do as well.

I think it’s mainly an issue of space. Adding that extra door in a small space can be a challenge.

Our last two homes we have had fully enclosed toilets in the master. I can’t imagine going back!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I think it’s mainly an issue of space. Adding that extra door in a small space can be a challenge.
Pocket door. But even a regular door works if you consider a small 30" by 60" space where the toilet is against the 30" wall and a small door (maybe 24") opens against the opposite wall. There is no wasted space other than the thickness of the dividing wall as in any bathroom there is almost always plenty of room in front of the toilet.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #15

+1 on pocket door. Not a fan of a ton of doors to account for the swing on. Also, I look at access. Maybe you are all fully mobile, but think about negotiating all the doors and narrow spots with a walker or wheelchair. Now add in a helper like a nurse or caregiver.
Yeah no. Putting it around a corner can be done without inhibiting access and I am all for that.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Pocket door. But even a regular door works if you consider a small 30" by 60" space where the toilet is against the 30" wall and a small door (maybe 24") opens against the opposite wall. There is no wasted space other than the thickness of the dividing wall as in any bathroom there is almost always plenty of room in front of the toilet.
Agree on the pocket door, but the ones I’ve seen have been in spaces that wouldn’t accommodate a pocket door. My mom actually designed and built two houses like this. I’ll have to ask her what on earth she was thinking! Maybe she just doesn’t like being closed in?
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Huh? Is it new that the toilet NOT be in it's own special closed-door mini room? No

When we remodeled we actually took that down to make the room one open space. The master bath itself still has a door, and if there were a "scheduling conflict" DH and I know to use the other bathroom...
This. The bathroom seems so much bigger without that extra wall...
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #18

I'm a bit of a minimalist with bathrooms, so I'm honestly happy with the generic style where the whole thing can fit into roughly a 5x8 foot space, with the sink, toilet, and faucet/drain end of the tub all on the same wall. And then, depending on the layout of the house, the entry door either comes off the 5-foot wall with the sink closest to you, and the tub at the far end. Or it comes off the longer wall, and you walk in facing either the sink or the toilet.

Admittedly though, I've lived most of my life in single-bathroom homes, so just the idea of having a second bathroom still seems like a luxury! When I was a little kid, I thought my paternal grandparents were rich, because their house had three bathrooms in it!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Actually pretty old fashioned.

Hey, maybe that’s why Americans ask for the “bathroom” when they need the toilet, and other countries use WC or toilet/toilette.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We've never had a house with a separate water closet. I guess it might be useful if two people were using the master bathroom at the same time but that rarely happens for us.

All of our homes over the years have had relatively small bathrooms so a WC would have made them feel cramped. While we designed our current home, we were space constrained because we had to stay on the same footprint as the old house since we are only 20' from the lake... thus not room for a WC in the master bathroom. Also, we only have 4 interior swing doors in the whole house... and 9 pocket doors. I grew up in a house with a lot of pocket doors and they were troublesome... constantly coming off the tracks... but todays pocket doors are much better.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote