Noo Yawker trying to BBQ

That other thread was my own thread!! Which brings up a good question: can one threadjack their own thread? :)
Hell yes, I do it all the time. :D
So let me get this straight...you hijacked your own thread, and then I hijacked it back to a thread I started.
The room is spinning....:greetings10:

I'd like to see what happens if both of you become moderators. :D

Yeah, but you climb the salary ladder quickly. I got a 50% pay raise this year.

When you put it that way, it does sound tempting. But I would feel strange censoring myself and deleting my own posts.

New dilemma...we were at Sears the other day looking for a chain wrench, and dh2b noticed a traditional charcoal smoker and a gas vertical box smoker, both on sale. :rolleyes: Neither was very good quality with respect to metal composition and ventilation features.
I had already figured out I was going to go with a Brinkman electric with wood chips being added...but...
if I get him involved >:D in the decision*, I can get him to split half the cost with me. :whistle:
He is voting for gas, not electric.
I managed to get him back to the tool department and out of the store before he did an impulse buy. :LOL:

I've been checking Amazon and Bass Pro for drops in prices. This may end up being a late summer or fall purchase to catch a better discount.

* Remember we're still practicing the married thing until 2013.

I don't think gas is any worse than electric. Nor is it any better. (still a wood kind of guy) If the price is cheap enough, I would go with the one on sale. If you have never seen a Brinkman, you will think they are cheaply made, and they are. Heck, for $40 now days what do you expect. Smokers don't really see much wear and tear. My Brinkman is 4 years old. Might last another two or three.

...If you have never seen a Brinkman, you will think they are cheaply made, and they are. Heck, for $40 now days what do you expect. Smokers don't really see much wear and tear. My Brinkman is 4 years old. Might last another two or three.
We have acid rain due to living east of Great Lakes manufacturing plants, and high humidity (except in winter) conditions here.
I had a cheapo grill years and years ago and it rusted out very quickly. I had it stored under a good cover during the cold season. Outdoor metal has to be good quality for these here parts. :D

You're gonna love this newsflash...I was over at my family boat club yesterday talking to the new kitchen staffers. They have a medium size trailerable smoker and are offered ribs and chicken only on Tuesdays.
They advertise it as "St Louis style...secret rub...slow smoked with applewood and cherry...slathered with BBQ sauce...Meals come with rolls, baked beans and Carolina slaw."

Ready for the prices ? :whistle: Make sure you're sitting down...

1/4 rack (3-4 ribs) $8.95
1/2 rack (6-7 ribs) $14.50
Full rack (12-13 ribs) $21.95
Half chicken $11.99
Combo platter (1/4 chicken, 1/4 rack ribs) $14.50

Methinks the cost of getting my own smoker just took on a new basis.
I am still eyeballing the Bass Pro Shop and Amazon site for "sales".

Let's see, $40 for a smoker, $10 for a 10lb brisket, $2 worth of wood. Seems like you can recover your cost in one sit down for 10! (brisket is put on sale down here at less than a buck a pound)

Ready for the prices ? :whistle: Make sure you're sitting down...

1/4 rack (3-4 ribs) $8.95
1/2 rack (6-7 ribs) $14.50
Full rack (12-13 ribs) $21.95
Half chicken $11.99
Combo platter (1/4 chicken, 1/4 rack ribs) $14.50
:blink:

Guess it's a good thing we have a lot of competition out here. It's not cheap even out here in the heart of BBQ country, but it ain't that expensive.

A lot of places out here sell by the pound; you walk past the pit and tell them which piece of meat you want a cut from and tell them how much. They put it on a tray to weigh and price it, and then they cut it appropriately.

It's not unusual for a $2/lb brisket at the supermarket to become an $8.95/lb brisket dinner, but comparatively speaking that's still cheaper than $9 for 3 or 4 ribs or $12 for half a chicken...

I've been meaning to get a smoker for a long time, and my wife keeps reminding me. I just have this mortal fear of ruining a few good hunks of meat before I start getting it almost right. Besides, it's usually just the two of us and it's hard to economically make real "low and slow" smoked Texas BBQ for two.

I've been meaning to get a smoker for a long time, and my wife keeps reminding me. I just have this mortal fear of ruining a few good hunks of meat before I start getting it almost right. Besides, it's usually just the two of us and it's hard to economically make real "low and slow" smoked Texas BBQ for two.
Since you live only a stone's throw from what I consider to be one of the best BBQ joints on the planet, why set yourself up for failure? :cool:

Let's see, $40 for a smoker, $10 for a 10lb brisket, $2 worth of wood. Seems like you can recover your cost in one sit down for 10! (brisket is put on sale down here at less than a buck a pound)
Exactly the type of math I did in my head. :LOL:
dh2b is on the traditional side of the fence BTW. He suggests I get the charcoal one, a good brand, at the lower price, try it out, and go from there.
Are you guys in cahoots? :ROFLMAO:

It's just the two of us, but we do have friends. ;)

...still cheaper than $9 for 3 or 4 ribs or $12 for half a chicken...

A new career for ya...come to NY and gouge the customers. :LOL:
Even a greenhorn like me knows that's too much to pay, smoked ribs being a rare commodity or not for this locale. The kitchen folks are locals.

If I'm willing to try it out...;)

Smoked Brisket will freeze for at least a year!
After watching him plow through that sirloin deal I did in my "you-know-what" with just the dry rub, I doubt any would ever see the freezer.

The first price breaks are happening online...:D
I figure they will do their "too much inventory" panic sale right after 4th of July. Then I pounce!
<saying this to myself> Patience, woman.

Just received my copy of Time, June 22 issue. In it is an article touting a Viking stainless-steel BBQ weighting 375 lbs. See picture. It will set you back $3000. For that price, it does not come with a thermometer, and Viking recommends the use of a certain DigiQ II thermometer costing another $260. See linked article. Now, we understand why Wall St. workers lament of hardship when their pays get reduced by the economic downturn.

a_lgrill_0622.jpg

Viking Smoker: King of the Grill - TIME

Just received my copy of Time, June 22 issue. In it is an article touting a Viking stainless-steel BBQ weighting 375 lbs. See picture. It will set you back $3000. For that price, it does not come with a thermometer, and Viking recommends the use of a certain DigiQ II thermometer costing another $260. See linked article. Now, we understand why Wall St. workers lament of hardship when their pays get reduced by the economic downturn.

For that price you might as well have your bbq overnighted to you from Texas.

For that price you might as well have your bbq overnighted to you from Texas.

Then, how does our banker get his DIY satisfaction if he does not personally select the rib, prepare the dry rub, then pack it in his shiny Viking smoker with lots of TLC? What's a bored banker to do when he is tired of taking his yacht for a harbor cruise? How does he satisfy his culinary curiosity?

I am glad that the free market always thinks of something to help relieve the money-laden multimillionaires of their loads. How else can they spend it all?

PS. Just lost 8 Viking BBQ ranges in the market today, despite being only 61% in equities. How can they say the market is rational? :mad: :( :nonono:

Just kidding. Hold, hold, hold...

Heh, heh, heh... Despite having supposedly high-beta stocks, my overall portfolio is not down that bad percentage wise compared to the S&P500. Me, worry?

... PS. Just lost 8 Viking BBQ ranges in the market today, despite being only 61% in equities. How can they say the market is rational? :mad: :( :nonono:

Just kidding. Hold, hold, hold...
We just had a new FIRE currency coined today - a Viking BBQ Range used as a monetary denomination.

<solemnly> I dub thee VBBQR. <touches sword on shoulder>

My question is...how is the VBBQR holding up against the dollar and euro ?

Back
Top Bottom