Nords' book ...

Nords, What a fantastic sense of accomplishment that must be; hats off to you! That said, I have always wondered how an ex-military guy could be a surfer too, unless you were a former SEAL.

He used to water ski behind the sub [-]using a really long tow line[/-] when it was on surface maneuvers.

Also, big congrats on the book Nords! :dance: Have you started the next installment yet ;)

Congratulations Nords! I hope the military couple who got a D on Suze Orman's "How am I doing" find out about your book.

Congratulations Nords. You don't need me to tell you (but I'll do it anyway) that you are doing a great service to our military personnel by providing an opportunity for self help in this area.

Reading your posts - both personal finance and off-topic has opened in my mind ROTC or a similar option as a possible route I will encourage for my kids to consider when they are older.

Wow, and I thought all the stuff you posted here was just BS!

Seriously, congratulations on a very worthwhile project.

That said, I have always wondered how an ex-military guy could be a surfer too, unless you were a former SEAL.
I graduated from the Army's Airborne school in 1979 with ambitions of Marine recon or Marine aviation, just a few weeks before I discovered submarines. Submariners have a habit of being SEAL wannabes (I know of at least two shipmates) but I just wasn't that hardcore. (Dick Couch wrote some excellent books on what it takes!) In retrospect, I'm really really glad I didn't learn how to surf until after I'd retired:
Lifestyles in military retirement: surfing | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

Also, big congrats on the book Nords! :dance: Have you started the next installment yet ;)
Yep! 2nd edition "expansion topics" include the military's Survivor Benefits Plan, TSP withdrawal options, military long-term care insurance through the federal program, an appendix about asset allocation, and more details about ER with kids. From this point on I'm hoping to scavenge the blog for the next print edition.

Contributions, personal stories, and proofreader volunteers welcome...

Congratulations Nords! I hope the military couple who got a D on Suze Orman's "How am I doing" find out about your book.
I'm still trying to track down JoAnn and Tony from Colorado! Nothing heard so far.

I graduated from the Army's Airborne school in 1979 with ambitions of Marine recon or Marine aviation, just a few weeks before I discovered submarines. Submariners have a habit of being SEAL wannabes (I know of at least two shipmates) but I just wasn't that hardcore. (Dick Couch wrote some excellent books on what it takes!) In retrospect, I'm really really glad I didn't learn how to surf until after I'd retired:
Lifestyles in military retirement: surfing | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

Is it OK to call you Duke?

By the way, you are a most excellent writer.

If you find out the schedule for his book signing tour, please let me know - I'd like to get him to autograph my copy. :))

This will be the conversation:
REW: Sweetie, I'd like to get my book signed by the author.
Sweetie: That's a great idea. Where's the book signing?
REW: mumble... mumble....
Sweetie: What's that? I didn't catch it?
REW: You know that Hawaiian vacation we've always talked about?
Sweetie: What does that have to do with anything?
REW: Well, it's a 2-fer. We not only get the book signed - we also have a fabulous vacation.

Round trip from San Antonio is a little over $600. Each. And then there's hotel, food, drinks, riding the little scooters, souveniers.... Or you could wait until he wanders back to Houston.:nonono:

I vote for Hawaii.:clap:

Congratulations Nords, a great achievement.

Write on, Nords!

Congratulations! Really impressive, and a sorely needed resource. I hope you'll keep us updated on the sales and responses you get on your blog/Twitter/Facebook.

I ordered a copy from Impact, just to help prime the pump. I'll read it, then donate it to the library at WPAFB. Welcome to the exciting, big-money world of freelance writing!

Congrats, Nords. I will have to add to the library donation list. Perhaps I will take a ride to Colorado Springs and drop off a copy given all the military folks there.

Nords, I did some googleing and see your book is available for pre-order from a number of places including Amazon, WalMart and Borders. When will it be available through major on-line book retailers like these?

Round trip from San Antonio is a little over $600. Each. And then there's hotel, food, drinks, riding the little scooters, souveniers.... Or you could wait until he wanders back to Houston.:nonono:
I'll probably be in Houston this October for Families Weekend, but I can offer a free surfing lesson in Hawaii with every copy that's personally picked up at the beach. I don't think Ohana Nords would be very happy trying to do that in Galveston's October surf temperatures.

I ordered a copy from Impact, just to help prime the pump. I'll read it, then donate it to the library at WPAFB.
I will have to add to the library donation list. Perhaps I will take a ride to Colorado Springs and drop off a copy given all the military folks there.
Thanks! You both might be surprised at the number of military members in your local E-R.org chapters.

Nords, I did some googleing and see your book is available for pre-order from a number of places including Amazon, WalMart and Borders. When will it be available through major on-line book retailers like these?
I don't have a good answer for that yet.

Amazon claims to have it "in stock" now, but they're getting stocked by National Book Network, which is waiting on Impact to send the books from their printer. Impact doesn't appear to talk directly to Amazon and none of them would talk to me about an individual title. And I don't know how Amazon is claiming to have a "used" copy. AFAIK the only used copies in existence are with Impact, REWahoo, and me.

I'm about to fill out Amazon's "Author Central" form (which apparently takes a week for them to coordinate with Impact) to do more marketing from there.

You other authors on the board-- if any of you have any experience with Author Central then I'm all eyes.

I'll work on Wal-Mart and Barnes & Noble next, then Borders. (Wal-Mart initially screwed up the ISBN with my data, so for a few days I was the author of a hot new Zumba book.) I've also asked Impact about them and I'll pass on the answers when I get them.

In retrospect, writing a book is way easier than editing it, let alone marketing/selling it. Certainly less time-consuming.

Congrats Nords!

On a side note, what is up with the "used" book (yes, yours!) listed on the Amazon website?? $11.03 + $3.99 shipping!!

On a side note, what is up with the "used" book (yes, yours!) listed on the Amazon website?? $11.03 + $3.99 shipping!!

Fireup, I think Nords may suspect I'm trafficking in used paper...

And I don't know how Amazon is claiming to have a "used" copy. AFAIK the only used copies in existence are with Impact, REWahoo, and me.

All the best, Nords, and in every way. You are helping thousands of people see a new way of living - not to mention aiding all of those through the military charities.

So impressive. So exciting! So thrilled for you.

Akaisha and Billy
Authors, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Should be receiving my copy in the mail any day now. Can't wait to read it.

I will be passing it on (after reading it) to a young soldier who is just finishing up his training at Ft. Sam Houston as a combat medic (68W). He'll need all the help he can get.

Thanks for all the e-mails & PMs, and most especially thanks to the poster who donated all the books! I'll post more about how that worked out after I distribute them.

Now I need to catch up on next week's blog posts and add a bunch of book-ordering links to the other pages. You contributors who've received your copies of "The Military Guide" should be able to post reviews on the Amazon.com author's page now. (And, of course, you could post them on this board too!) Interestingly the book's sales ranking has gone from #718,319 to #749,107 in just 12 hours. I have no idea what that means.

I'll talk to Impact next week about the "Search inside the book" feature and e-reader versions.

Until then the first chapter is also posted on Impact's website (http://www.impactpublications.com/eproducts/chapter_excerpts/8026_chapter_1.pdf).

The 4"x5" 64-page pocket guide should be back from the printers very soon, and it's also available for order on Impact's website now. Military Financial Independence and Retirement Pocket Guide

I've had several queries about bulk orders. The publisher must be getting some queries, too, because he says anyone wanting to order multiple copies should e-mail him directly. If you're planning to buy five or more copies (for your command or your shipmates) then PM me for Ron Krannich's e-mail address.

Congrats.....writing and having a book published is no easy task. Good for you!

You contributors who've received your copies of "The Military Guide" should be able to post reviews on the Amazon.com author's page now.

A big BZ to you, Nords.

Amazon says my review should be posted within the next 48 hours. The young wife says to tell you that she really likes your writing style.

A big BZ to you, Nords.
Amazon says my review should be posted within the next 48 hours. The young wife says to tell you that she really likes your writing style.
Thanks!

Like I said, XOs all over the fleet are mystified at what must have happened since I wrote my last point paper...

Hey Nords,

I got my copy today. Thanks. The book looks great! I will get a review up on Amazon in the next couple of weeks!

Tomcat98

Back
Top Bottom