Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Go Nords go! I'm hoping you sell tons more. Good book with proceeds going to a good cause.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Whew - glad I did not give my COC an arrival date - I get to present financial training to our command...and have ordered a bunch of these! Was starting to wonder about the shipment!
I just got an e-mail update to "shipping today". Check your PMs for more details.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado

Oh cool!
jackontrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Only one book reported sold last week by Amazon-- somewhere in the area of Spokane.

From the e-mails & PMs I'm reading, more books are being ordered direct from Impact (which is not tracked by Amazon) than from Amazon or B&N. For now.

I'm starting to watch our local military exchanges. Please let me know if you spot hardcopy on your local exchange's bookshelves!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd recommend registering it with novelrank.com too. It'll derive the sold quantity from all the amazons. Also put it on goodreads.com and shelfari.

I'd also recommend everybody here hassle their local library to get a copy. Most libraries now have a simple online form you call fill out. Hundreds of thousands of books are published annually in the US alone. The chance of "getting out there" without help is slim.

Nords, if you want to write a blurb about your book for my site, I'll be happy to publish it. I got some 20/30something military ppl reading along on ERE.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
I'd recommend registering it with novelrank.com too. It'll derive the sold quantity from all the amazons. Also put it on goodreads.com and shelfari.
Thanks. Amazon pointed me to Shelfari but I hadn't stumbled across Novelrank or Goodreads yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Nords, if you want to write a blurb about your book for my site, I'll be happy to publish it. I got some 20/30something military ppl reading along on ERE.
Thanks-- I'll get it to you!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have requested that our local public library add it to their collection. That's one more book.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Three more logged by Amazon this week, although that number keeps coming up a lot. One was from San Diego (one of America's largest military towns) and the other two were from unspecified locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I have requested that our local public library add it to their collection. That's one more book.
Thanks!

I was in our neighborhood library the other day when the head librarian came over to thank me for the donation, and to say that they'd ordered more copies to keep up with the request backlog.

The pocket guides are officially shipping. If you've ordered one (or more), they should be showing up in mailboxes this week.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Now available on Kindle...
Amazon.com: The Military Guide to Financial Independence & Retirement eBook: Doug Nordman: Kindle Store

... and the Nook!
BARNES & NOBLE | The Military Guide to Financial Independence & Retirement by Doug Nordman | NOOK Book (eBook)

Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Wow, congratulations Nords! This may go viral!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Four more last week (a new high) with one from the St. Louis area.

National Book Network created the Kindle edition without using Amazon's "Kindle Direct Publishing" service, so I don't have Kindle sales data. Yet. I'll have to figure that one out some other way.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Two more last week, including one in San Antonio.

WorldCat shows a new copy in the public library system of St. Charles, IL. Thanks!

Amazon.com added the "Look Inside the Book" signup to the options menu, but it gets a little picky on copyright & marketing rights. I'll have to work with the publisher on that one.

Thanks also to "Rowdy" for posting an Amazon review of the book!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Only one hardcopy sale reported by BookScan this week, from the Norfolk area.

Still haven't figured out how to track Kindle sales.

Kindle sales seem to be one of the triggers for Amazon's "Look Inside the Book" feature... probably because the book's indexed and ready for display.

Thanks to whoever donated a copy to the Mount St Vincent University Library in Halifax. I never considered writing an international military version of the book, but if you're familiar with the Canadian Forces then let me know what you'd change or add.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Heh-- I sent one of my free copies of the book to a local journalist. Good guy, and he did us a nice favor.

I didn't hear from him for over a month, but this morning he published a review in our newspaper, even mentioning E-R.org:
Postcard history tells Kauai tale - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

Blog traffic doubled last week, and then it darn near doubled again. I can't wait to see who shows up next week...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Good review. Liked the closing statement.

Quote:
If you're military or have a military relative, this is a handy and straightforward guide.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Two more sales last week, including one in... Detroit. Detroit?!?

Old 08-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Biggest week yet! Six copies sold, including one near Tampa-St. Petersburg. (I have relatives in the area, but it's also home to a major military command.) I haven't seen the book on the shelves of our local military exchange yet.

Thanks to whoever donated a copy to the Traverse Area District Library in Traverse City, MI.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just put the order in for my book today. It will come maybe next week. Better late than never.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Just put the order in for my book today. It will come maybe next week. Better late than never.
I think the Klingons have a proverb for that: "Today is a good day to buy"...

Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Nine copies reported sold this week by Amazon's national network. Four of them were sold in New Orleans, former home of Navy Reserve HQ.

Thanks to whoever donated a copy to the Jacksonville public library!