Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
URK! 1958 for me. Feel better now?

Congrats to Nords!
Yes! Thank you so much! I thought you were younger than me! LOL!!!!!

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I think it is something about living in Hawaii. The same reporter Jane Kim interviewed me a couple of years ago for some early retirement thing, and last week a reporter for SmartMoney sent me a PMed and we talked about Muni Bonds. Should appear in the June issue.

In fact, I've gotten my name in various magazine and newspaper a lot more since retiring than when I was working...
Come to think of it, I did get a PM from her sometime ago but can't remember the topic. I think I declined the invitation.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Well if you refuse to talk to the press don't be jealous when you miss out on your big opportunity for fame and fortune. (At least on the ER boards.)

Speaking of fame and fortune can't believe no lurking journalist has asked about my affair, with Mrs Woods.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, I guess you were born in 1960. I was born in 1959. And all these years I've been thinking you had a couple of years on me!

Darn that made me feel old!

Audrey
Wow, 1960, really? That sounds so young. I know that 1959 is only 1 year before, but 1960 just sounds so much younger. Maybe since I was born in the 1950's also that 1960 sounds so much younger. I was born in 1953 if that makes you feel any better Audrey. How do all of you youngins have so much knowledge?

Congrats to Nords for your contribution to the story.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Well, I really shouldn't complain. DH and I are the "young kids on the block". The folks around here mostly 10 and 20 years our senior look indulgently upon us "young people'.

But all these years on the forum I've been thinking of Nords as like the older brother I never had.

And I already have younger brothers!!!

Audrey

P.S. I'll get over it. Eventually!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Come to think of it, I did get a PM from her sometime ago but can't remember the topic. I think I declined the invitation.

Was it Match .com ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoClose View Post
Nords, can you give us a quick summary of how PenFed calculates its early withdrawal penalties on CDs?
Some of that's on the "Chasing yield" thread. As ClifP's pointed out, PenFed's already dropped their five-year rate from 3.5% to 3%. Didn't see that coming. Must've given them too much business and killed a good deal.

Thanks to other posters on this board, here are the three big factors that attract me to PenFed:
1. Their early-withdrawal boilerplate is relatively easy to find. (Try searching a bank/credit union's website for the term "early withdrawal" or "penalty".) Some places don't even have it on their websites.
https://www.penfed.org/pdf/accountsforms/688.pdf
Quote:
Certificates Having a Term Greater Than
Six Months and up to and including 5 years.
a) If redeemed within 180 days of the issue
date or any renewal date, all dividends will be
forfeited.
b) If redeemed thereafter, but prior to the
maturity date, dividends for the most recent 180
days will be forfeited
Their seven-year CDs have a one-year penalty.
2. The minimum size of all their certificates is $1000. No breakpoints at $20K or $50K or $100K, and some of PenFed's $1000 rates are still better than other credit union's $100K rates. So we can split the certificates into much smaller chunks and only break the chunks that need breaking instead of getting hammered on $20K for a $5K crisis.
3. Despite that PDF application in #1, once you have a PenFed website account you can set up a CD online within five minutes. Best process I've ever seen. (They follow up with snail-mail paperwork a week later but the CD is effective the date you apply on the website.) After several years with them I've never even talked to a PenFed employee on the phone, let alone visited a branch office. I'd like to think that their extensive self-service automation allows them to give us higher rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Although I have always declined, I have been approached frequently by reporters in the past few years, wanting interviews. So it's not just living in Hawaii that triggers them. Maybe they're afraid of Dawg52's great big ol' dog.
Maybe it was your Eva avatar. Have you had any media requests since you put it away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'm sure that this board could produce some good resources for Stacy & Clinton...just look at those pictures of what retirees wear.
Stacy & Clinton gave up on us long ago. I was at a coffee-shop meeting with an acquaintance last week and, given the venue, I wore my usual business attire of comfortable board shorts, old surf t-shirt, and slippers. A couple days later we were lunching at a place with a dress code (pants and shoes) and he commented "Geez, you sure cleaned up good." After 24 years of wearing khaki uniforms or blue coveralls it's hard to get excited about fashion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
You claim to be retired. Writing a book is a J*B. Busted again.
It's certainly a labor of love. (If I was a starving author I'd've expired halfway through the 2nd chapter.) As much work as it is, I'm beginning to realize that the writing is a lot more fun than the editing, publishing, and marketing. (Those last three haven't happened yet.) But a job usually involves a paycheck, and this is a non-profit project-- more of a time-consuming hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Since you live in Hawaii, I hope the book gets a better reception here than the one by another Hawaiian with initials RK.
I think Hawaii was very happy to hand him off to Arizona or wherever he claims to have his Galactic HQ these days. He really burned some bridges with his talk stink and his needless fabrications. He doesn't represent any of the island's values and even the local realtors don't care to have anything to do with his followers...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think Hawaii was very happy to hand him off to Arizona or wherever he claims to have his Galactic HQ these days. He really burned some bridges with his talk stink and his needless fabrications. He doesn't represent any of the island's values and even the local realtors don't care to have anything to do with his followers...
Oh, crap! AZ doesn't need someone like him - ughhh.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Was it Match .com ?
Damn, I wonder what she looks like. Oh well................
Old 04-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Maybe it was your Eva avatar. Have you had any media requests since you put it away?
Actually, no! You may be on to something. I have had requests from board members to bring Eva back, though (oddly, all those members were male.... hmm!). I will do that eventually. Meanwhile, it's fun to try something different.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I should point out that Jane Kim and other journalists are regular lurkers on this board.
That explains how someone swiped my "Faith-based investment company--Give your money to me and pray you get it back".
Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dang! I'm older than Nords!
EVERYBODY is older than Nords. Except my kids...and they will catch up sometime soon.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
EVERYBODY is older than Nords. Except my kids...and they will catch up sometime soon.
It's never too late to have a second childhood!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone started a bidding war for Nords' autograph yet?
If not, I'll start it out at 2 nights at Waikiki Beach, and he's paying. How else would I receive it except in person?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Has anyone started a bidding war for Nords' autograph yet?
If not, I'll start it out at 2 nights at Waikiki Beach, and he's paying. How else would I receive it except in person?
I guess it would depend on what I'm autographing.

There are thousands of samples of my signature in the Naval Archives, all over the deck logs and the reactor startup/shutdown checklists. It's probably only worth a penny or two now...

Old 04-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post

I'm NOT older than Nords..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'm NOT older than Nords..........
Chronologically, mentally, or physically?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote