Not caring about what I wear...

I must admit I get some weird sense of enjoyment out of going out and dressing like.......let's just say someone who could not possibly ER. Always clean but not always fashionable.

We also like to dress just "a bit eccentric." We also find people treat us differently.

Attachments

• Full Length crop.jpg
    Full Length crop.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 27
^ The guy above caused me to start singing "It's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right......"

While not interested in the latest styles, I prefer to dress neatly even if just going for coffee. I will never leave the house looking like a slob, shirt tail hanging out, ragged clothes etc. I truly dislike slobs.

In summer shorts and flip flops I do wear, my T shirt is always tucked in and not torn or splattered with last week oil change. And the gig line is alway properly set. If you never been in the service look that one up:)

Did I mention I dislike slobs?

It fascinates me no end that women will pay a fortune for ragged sliced jeans. Or wear skin tight camel toe enhancing paste ons, then whine that they are treated as sex objects. And the muffin tops AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

OTOH seems the fad of guys wearing their trousers below their butts with magic holding the things up are on the way out. Still can't figure the bit with baseball caps being on sideways with the visor over their ears. I am sure thare is a purpose for that.....

Last edited:
I realize that most people here are married or effectively married, but still, it is probably worth the small amount of effort to look good. I think most men and women feel more disposed to be warm with well turned out people than those who may be descending into slobovia.

Even the police are less likely to shoot you if you are well dressed.

I feel like my girlfriend is quite reasonable, but she does request that I wear appropriate attire when we go out, or really when I see her at her home. Why not? I know I much prefer that a woman look good, and I respond to this.

Ha

Having lived 30 years in New Orleans, I know from personal experience(at least three times come to mind) Da PO LICE are less likely to shoot you if you are well dressed.

Being a bit of a clothes horse - I love thrift stores - Salvation Army, DAV, Goodwill , etc.

Left handedness causes me to push the envelope - shrimper, farmer, urban cowboy, logger, ultimate tourist, and some Parrot Head for old times sake.

heh heh heh - now married I have dialed back a tad. :dance::dance::D;)

P.S> Back up north - I have more Pendleton than I have body to wear. Recycle time.

Last edited:
In these challenging economic times, I have been known to counsel a young person to "Wear out your own jeans" in order to save more money....

Attachments

• Wear out your own jeans.jpg
    Wear out your own jeans.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 23
I just finished a 10 day span where I only wore pajamas. When I went out, I wore carhartt coveralls over the pajamas. But normally I'm in jeans or shorts, t shirt or sweatshirt. Hiking boots or running shoes. I'm using my former work shirts for rags.

There are weekends where I don't leave the house and just wear my PJs and slippers. Sweatpants, t shirts, and flip flops are my second choice as I don't care for shorts.

I wear some torn jeans for gardening. These are jeans that started out pristine and wound up as real worker jeans. I'd never want to be caught dead in them outside our yard though. :)

My son (in his 30's, San Diego advertising guy) turned up with jeans that had those pre-dyed whitish legs. This is the same guy who used to wear those horrible baggy things in his late teens that fell down well below the navel. Styles are amazing. :nonono:

I find that dressing nicely when I am out of the house pays benefits in how I am treated in both business and personal contacts. Something just a bit 'eccentric' usually helps. But, just a very small bit. :D

+1 Have had to accept this as a "new widow." Am learning that some business people seem to think that -- since DH is no longer around-- I am somehow an "easy mark" for overcharging on whatever item or service I am looking into.

As I fix up the family home to sell, and a new condo to move into, am working as my own "general contractor." That's fine; but it does seem to help if I somehow dress "smart" rather than "dowdy." (Not sure how to define those. Your definitions could easily account for both.)

Of course, attitude and demeanor communicate more than clothes. It simply helps if clothing doesn't create obstacles or give the wrong impression.

(Left to my own devices--- once I move and no longer need to negotiate bids or sign off on the quality of a job--- I will return to my retirement "uniform of choice": t-shirt, jeans, sandals or sneakers. Denim skirt and top for jaunts out.)

:rolleyes:

My daily wear is a pair of black shorts (I have 5 identical pairs) a sports bra and a tank top with flip flops with black soles and either silver or gold rubber/plastic straps . I also own 3 identical pairs of black crops and about 10 nice blouses left from my working days for less casual events (but I still wear the flip flops). If I really want to "dress up" I wear my black pumps and trade the sports bra for a real bra. I love having a half empty closet!

In these challenging economic times, I have been known to counsel a young person to "Wear out your own jeans" in order to save more money....

When we were out, I pointed out to DW that my faded to very light blue jeans with a few pencil size worn out spots on it might fetch a good price on ebay.
I feel proud that originally they were the dark blue jeans only 20 years ago. :flowers:

She wants me to throw them out....

While not interested in the latest styles, I prefer to dress neatly even if just going for coffee. I will never leave the house looking like a slob, shirt tail hanging out, ragged clothes etc. I truly dislike slobs.

In summer shorts and flip flops I do wear, my T shirt is always tucked in and not torn or splattered with last week oil change. And the gig line is alway properly set. If you never been in the service look that one up:)

It fascinates me no end that women will pay a fortune for ragged sliced jeans. Or wear skin tight camel toe enhancing paste ons, then whine that they are treated as sex objects. And the muffin tops AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

OTOH seems the fad of guys wearing their trousers below their butts with magic holding the things up are on the way out. Still can't figure the bit with baseball caps being on sideways with the visor over their ears. I am sure thare is a purpose for that.....

Useless without pics...

I'm usually in sweats and shorts when I'm in the house but I would never leave it unless dressed neatly with khakis or clean jeans, golf shirts and casual shoes. DW also likes to dress in casual but always neat attire.

We ran into some old acquaintances last week at the movie theater and they looked like slobs. Not only their clothes were ragged but the guy's hair was uncombed and the lady looked like she just got out of bed. The lady told DW that ever since they retired they don't have to dress nicely to impress other folks.:confused: I'm for doing whatever makes you happy but why bring it up?

About 5 years out of college, I wore mostly jeans and a tee shirt to work. Rare occasions like having a deposition would get me into a suit.
Shorts vs. full length jeans is more dependent on temperature.

For me, over 50F is shorts, under 50F is jeans.

When I was still in the AF, I got to wear a flightsuit everyday. That's pretty much the same as getting to wear pajamas to w*rk! Today, it's shorts and t-shirt..everyday, even if it's cold out. If I happen to go out, it's jeans and a t-shirt (if it's below 55 degrees, otherwise, shorts). Some days, I don't get out of my flannel-pant-lounge-wear. And iron? What is that? I don't think I have touch one since I graduated from basic training. ;)

I have patched and re-patched one pair of Mr. A.'s blue jeans from the 1970's, and embroidered designs around each patch. I call them his "hippie love jeans." He wears them proudly, as a sign that his old lady loves him (and also that the jeans still fit :cool:).

When we were out, I pointed out to DW that my faded to very light blue jeans with a few pencil size worn out spots on it might fetch a good price on ebay.
I feel proud that originally they were the dark blue jeans only 20 years ago. :flowers:

She wants me to throw them out....

In my view, you are not nearly judgmental enough about other people. Frankly, any old body can put on neat, clean clothes. Myself, I am always analyzing what lies beneath a man's clothing, to see if that is tidy, properly cared for, and generally meets my standards.

(What in the world is a "camel-toe enhancing paste-on"? Is it some kind of pastie for the vajayjay? And where are you hanging out these days, that you see them being worn?>:D:LOL: )

It fascinates me no end that women will pay a fortune for ragged sliced jeans. Or wear skin tight camel toe enhancing paste ons, then whine that they are treated as sex objects.

In my view, you are not nearly judgmental enough about other people. Frankly, any old body can put on neat, clean clothes. Myself, I am always analyzing what lies beneath a man's clothing, to see if that is tidy, properly cared for, and generally meets my standards.

(What in the world is a "camel-toe enhancing paste-on"? Is it some kind of pastie for the vajayjay? And where are you hanging out these days, that you see them being worn?>:D:LOL: )
Just curious, when you're done analyzing, how do you determine if your standards have been met?

Last edited:
I remember a college professor in business school telling us " Whether you like it or not, people judge you by the way you look". I'm aware that people "analyze" us based on what we are wearing. I'll dress accordingly for those situations where I'd like a positive analysis. But these situations are few and far between these days.

In a totally subjective manner...just like any judgment of people's appearance.

Or were you seeking a list of required "ilities"? :D

Just curious, when you're done analyzing, how do you determine if your standards have been met?

My retirement wear is the same as what I wore in my personal life prior to retirement: jeans or cords with a turtleneck, sweater or shirt; sometimes sweats; short boots, loafers, or sneakers are my footwear. In summer I wear conservative-length shorts or capri pants with a shirt and sandals. I don't go out of the house in anything torn or stained. I only wear a dress if it is an occasion that requires entering a house of worship.

I spend most days in shorts and a tee. When we go out to eat, I make sure the clothes are clean and no holes! Friday night we meet our oldest son's SO'S parents so I am going to dress up in slacks and a sports coat😑.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have patched and re-patched one pair of Mr. A.'s blue jeans from the 1970's, and embroidered designs around each patch. I call them his "hippie love jeans." He wears them proudly, as a sign that his old lady loves him (and also that the jeans still fit :cool:).

Ah, you need to get some Tear Mender to keep those jeans going! https://www.tearmender.com/howto.php

If you are tempted to spend your days in yoga pants and tops you need to watch this video .

That's hysterical - I've never seen that before! :LOL: :LOL:

Sad to say, it could easily have been filmed in the pretentious town where I w#rk.

Back
Top Bottom