Not my problem?

I'll bet this thread goes for 10 pages.

I know, but I can feel a collective sigh of relief as the steam is released. :LOL:

Does anyone else have dogs poop next to their mailbox? :mad:

I suggest the NRA get involved with a new campaign. "Stand your ground. An armed shopper is a safe shopper." Legislation making it OK to shoot folks in line with too many items should eventually lead to a drop in the offense rate.

Think of it as evolution in action...

Mulligan,
You’re onto one of my biggest pet peeves. Putting the cell phone ahead of your immediate person to person conversation. I think it is the rudest behavior every, and very common.
Also constantly monitoring your text messages while conversing with others.
I just walk away from people if they do this.

JP

Last edited:
I know, but I can feel a collective sigh of relief as the steam is released. :LOL:

No, but a previous next-door neighbor with 3 full-time outdoor cats was my great fortune to deal with. I would do my flower plantings and sure enough, these critters would come over and dig up the young plants and do their business in my flower beds. My 2 dogs were in the garage while I was at w*rk.
I used all sorts of methods (humane) to outsmart them, but a wooden stockade and chainlink combination fence was the final answer.
I heard from the neighbor on the other side that the cats decided to change their litter box location to his wife's flower beds. :LOL:
And then there were the empty beer cans that the underage son and his buddies used to throw in my yard so the frequently absent parents wouldn't find the empties. I threw the cans right back over into their yard. That nonsense finally stopped...:D

I'm with you Midpack, where does this stuff stop when people will not speak up. A little different situation, but I will always say something when I see someone parking in a handicap parking space without a plate or placard and no obvious impairment. Sometimes they just ignore me, but some are pretty defensive and say something like mind your own business:facepalm:.

Have you ever seen how high a standard poodle can jump from the squatted-ready-to-poop position when they're hit in the rump by a BB gun just as the action starts? :LOL: And the volume of the "YELP!" is pretty impressive too.

No, no doggies pooping in my yard, anymore.........

JP.mpls said:
Mulligan,
You’re onto one of my biggest pet peeves. Putting the cell phone ahead of your immediate person to person conversation. I think it is the rudest behavior every, and very common.

JP

JP, Midpacks initial question was do you address the problem. Concerning the cell phones, I do. As it is my best friends and I let them have it every time. Does it change their behavior? Not a bit! I think they are addicted to them as it appears to me they perceive every call to be coming straight from God, Himself. I personally don't think you can change peoples behavior so I never say anything unless its my friends and they don't change either. Of course maybe I have become old and crotchety and they have just tuned my bitching out :)

My take:
While I agree 100% with Midpack and the other posters on the loss of civility and it pains me greatly to say that my coping mechanism is this:

I give up. The country isn't going to h*ll, it has arrived. We have long gone past the point where civility and respect have any meaning. The country that we grew up in is lost--gone-- and it isn't coming back.

There will always be exceptions, but if you are expecting consideration, thoughtfulness and courtesy from strangers, you're not dealing with reality.

We're now living on a 'new planet' where those things are viewed as quaint and almost embarassing.

I'd have a stroke if everytime I went out expecting courtesy and instead had my sensibilities assaulted. The only way to keep my sanity is to realize that those days are long gone.

It ain't the 60's anymore...it's a new world with new expectations of interaction.

Most of the 'violators' have no idea what your problem is and worse yet, don't give a d*mn.

Again, I was hoping for a more civil world as I got older but, in general, there is no point crying over our lost world...we have to live in the one we have.

I think this all comes down to the entitlement mindset too many people have. It is reinforced everywhere. The government, parents, teachers. People are taught they are owed something by someone. I see it everywhere.

Teachers?!?!?!? You have got to be kidding!

Teachers are forever fighting this attitude in the classroom.

I think this all comes down to the entitlement mindset too many people have. It is reinforced everywhere. The government, parents, teachers. People are taught they are owed something by someone. I see it everywhere. Driving, Disneyland, grocery stores, restaurants, you name it. "What? There's rule? Well, those don't apply to me. I'm special. I deserve it."

I still think (hope) those people that think that way are the minority but if they are, the majority sure as hell isn't doing much about it. We shake out heads, we get mad, we might even say something. These self absorbed brats look at you like your the one out of line. That's if you're lucky. You might get a gaggle of them gang up on you and wag their fingers at you for being so selfish!

Unfortunately, these societal shifts require societal correction. You or I aren't going to teach these people to behave. Hell, they'd have to be able to admit they might be wrong in the first place. Trying to lecture someone is a fools' errand. Maybe personally satisfying, but hardly effective.

+1!
What do you expect in a society where everyone is a victim and everyone gets a trophy?

As I posted earlier, they have no idea what you're so cranked up about and worse yet, couldn't care less.

I think the problem is people are always generalizing everything. And lately, it seems everyone is doing it all the time.

Last edited:
Mulligan,

JP
Same here.
I get the biggest kick out of it when they ask, after a lengthy period of time or when the cell traffic is over, "so where did you go off to?"
I just smile and wave. :greetings10:
My cell is set on vibrate by default when I am out in public, or on low ring volume if I am expecting a call. If no call is expected, I will leave it face down if I am seated at a table so I will see it "jump" or in my pocket so I will feel the vibration if a call or text comes in.
It takes just a few seconds to say "Excuse me, I have to answer this" and walk to a place where I will have privacy.

Here is a very good summary of Cell Phone etiquette
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/26/cell-phone-etiquette-15-r_n_514927.html

Last edited:
N
I used all sorts of methods (humane) to outsmart them, but a wooden stockade and chainlink combination fence was the final answer.

You didn't resort to the Brash New Yawker?

If you think this is a recent phenomenon, consider this:
"I am going to meet people today who talk too much -- people who are selfish, egotistical, ungrateful. But I won't be surprised or disturbed, for I couldn't imagine a world without such people."

That was written around the year 170 AD by Marcus Aurelius.

TromboneAl said:
If you think this is a recent phenomenon, consider this: "I am going to meet people today who talk too much -- people who are selfish, egotistical, ungrateful. But I won't be surprised or disturbed, for I couldn't imagine a world without such people."

:). I expect that thirty years from now our kids will be pointing back to today as the good old days. They will have those goofy "remember when..." emails and will bemoan "the kids today."

If you think this is a recent phenomenon, consider this:
"I am going to meet people today who talk too much -- people who are selfish, egotistical, ungrateful. But I won't be surprised or disturbed, for I couldn't imagine a world without such people."

Ah, yes...whatever happened to ancient Rome? Those who don't learn from history............

Again, I was hoping for a more civil world as I got older but, in general, there is no point crying over our lost world...we have to live in the one we have.
Except of course on ER.org, where we make-up our own reality every day. :)

Ha

JP, Midpacks initial question was do you address the problem. Concerning the cell phones, I do. As it is my best friends and I let them have it every time. Does it change their behavior? Not a bit! I think they are addicted to them as it appears to me they perceive every call to be coming straight from God, Himself. I personally don't think you can change peoples behavior so I never say anything unless its my friends and they don't change either. Of course maybe I have become old and crotchety and they have just tuned my bitching out :)

Mulligan,
You are right, I'm off topic just describing the behavior that offends me. I typically don't call the people on their bad behavior. Ending the conversation and walking away if possible is fairly aggressive action for me, and classic Minnesota passive aggressive behavior.
I have commented with closer friends and family, but I don't think it sinks in. It is an addictive behavior when it comes to cell phones.

Take care,

JP

Marko,
On a positive note, it is fun to go against this societal trend of rude behavior. I make it a point to hold the door open for people, young or old, out in public. I suspect this isn't common behavior, because of the reactions. Most people seem almost shocked, and are typically very thankful.

JP

Last edited:
JP.mpls said:
Mulligan,
You are right, I'm off topic just describing the behavior that offends me. I typically don't call the people on their bad behavior. Ending the conversation and walking away if possible is fairly aggressive action for me, and classic Minnesota passive aggressive behavior.
I have commented with closer friends and family, but I don't think it sinks in. It is an addictive behavior when it comes to cell phones.

Take care,

JP

JP, I didn't mean to insinuate you were off topic at all. I worded poorly my comment of in a previous post where I complained about cell phone use, but I didnt address the initial question of if I ever said anything to them. I would or should be the last person to criticize someone for being off topic! :)

Marko,
On a positive note, it is fun to go against this societal trend of rude behavior. I make it a point to hold the door open for people, young or old, out in public. I suspect this isn't common behavior, because of the reactions. Most people seem almost shocked, and are typically very thankful.

JP
It's still common in better Seattle neighborhoods, as is smiling at others on some streets, letting people in to merge on the freeway -even with our influx of yahoos over the past 40 years. Seattle seems to affect them more than they infect us.

Ha

Marko,

JP

True. And I'm just not able to go against my mama's upbringing of "doing the right thing" regardless.

The problem is that few seem to know --or care--what the right thing is anymore. It's all 'hooray for me'. (Now I sound like a grumpy old man!!)

Mentally, I think all one can do is to 'gate off' these idiots and do your own thing. Challenging them doesn't help...we're too far gone for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom