Notify Insurance Company of New Roof (Amica)?

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is question is being posed to those that might have Amica for their insurance company.

I just replaced our roof with the 50 year architectural shingles. The old roof was at least 15 years old and just worn out. What I am curious about is what has been your experience in regards to telling the insurance company? I have seen that some people had a reduction in premiums whereas other companies have INCREASED the premium since they considered it a "home improvement" (I don't understand this since I would *think* it's just routine maintenance). When my Dad updated his roof, he got a discount (about $50/year) and this was through Cincinnati Financial.

I am also considering installing a check valve at the sewage outlet so I can delete the "sewage backup" rider I have on the policy. It's gone up quite a bit, so I am thinking the valve would better than the insurance itself...but that's another subject.

Our new roof resulted in a lower premium, because the new roof met higher hurricane standards.

I'd tell them. Roofs over a certain age can get surcharged to keep them insured on a Replacement Cost basis (which you want). It may result in a lower premium.

Also, if a roof reaches a certain age the coverage can change from Replacement Value to Actual Cash Value. This may result in a reduction in premium and your overall premium could go up if you get a new roof and request Replacement Value again, but overall it is worth it. Always opt for Replacement Cost vs. Actual Cash Value if you have a choice. Offset any increase in premium with a higher deductible or remove some small optional riders.

Back
Top Bottom