Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I was heading to Shemya AFB (3rd to last island in the Aleutian Island chain of Alaska) aboard a Lockheed Electra L-188 commercial flight with Reeve Aleutian Airways. They had the military contract to transport troops on and off the island along with mail runs twice a week. Bob Reeve was at the controls that day. (Bob flew bush in South America for many years before heading to Alaska. Has some books worth reading...)
The year I was on Shemya, we had 10 days out of 365 that were VFR. Weather was always a cross wind and fog as the cold Bering Sea is on the North side of the island and the relatively warm Pacific on the South. The runway ran East/West, bearing 264 degrees if I recall right. So, strong cross wind.

I was sitting on the right side, looking out the window as the pilot informed us we were on final. At one point the fog seemed to thin and I saw a cliff out side my window. The aircraft lifted, cleared the bluff and slipped sideways as the wind pushed us across the island sideways. The pilot almost immediately set the plane down, reversed the props and we slowed to a stop. It took 2 hours before a Follow-Me truck could find us on the runway and we could taxi back to Base Ops.

While I was sure we would die, Bob and his pilots flew this route twice a week, every week for years. Bob Reeve was killed by a driver late for a flight in Anchorage and hit him in a crosswalk at the boarding area. Amazing what a life that man lived and what he flew only to be taken out by a rushed driver late for a flight.
My flight experience was in June of 1976. Bob Reeves died in 1980 at age 78.

Shemya AFB and the runway

The Lockheed Electra L-188
I used to ride that Electra to St Paul island in the middle of the Bering sea. The turbo props have nice drone along with a nice zero beat when not exacly at same RPM... Ather times rode the YS11
on shorter hops. Often visibility was near 0 0, yet the pilots knew where bang down the wheels.
Also used the Coast Guard's Pickup truck to get around on the island. Often the fog was 2 or 3 feet above the ground. One of us would hang out the open door and give directions to the driver, striaght, a little to the left, or a little to the right. As 5 feet above was pure whiteout fog.

Fun story about Bob Reeve: He landed on Cold Bay airport in 0 0. Across the runway (it is around 15000 feet long) the tower asked where he was, he said about 20 feet from you.

Question: what is the difference between fog and cloud?
Answer with a question: are you looking at it or are you in it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting stories. Our 21 year old son is a pilot with 750 hours. Just started flying a Learjet 31a as a first officer for a charter company. I try not to think of close calls though he said most of the private plane accidents are pilot error by weekend warriors.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat View Post
Interesting stories. Our 21 year old son is a pilot with 750 hours. Just started flying a Learjet 31a as a first officer for a charter company.
That's very impressive for someone his age. I thought they typically didn't let civilian pilots fly jets until they reached ATP certification.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
That's very impressive for someone his age. I thought they typically didn't let civilian pilots fly jets until they reached ATP certification.
I should have said he is a first officer in my post. Has to be 23 and 1500 hours for captain of a charter or commercial.

He tried a year of college at Montana State in their aviation program. It moved too slow so he came home and did his training here. Totally focused on it. Spent his college money. But, he is living across the country on his own and supporting himself while flying a jet and is happy. We are lucky he found his passion.

He turned 21 six weeks ago.

Really doesn't apply to the original post but I now read posts like that through a different lens.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Nstiwtiwgd
Old 07-02-2019, 05:19 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Nstiwtiwgd

While there are certainly differences between the experiences of powered vs non-powered flying (mine are the latter; hang-gliders, sailplanes, skydiving, all at competition level), seems to me all NSTIWTIWGTD stories have the same elements around grave uncertainty as to whether one will remain flying with some modicum of control and/or return to earth and walk away.

As I read these stories, I think about how everyone’s training helped them through. So I’ll offer a skydiving one. But before I do so in the presence of power pilots I must offer this:

You: “Only an idiot would jump from a perfectly good airplane”
Me: “Have you seen our jump plane?!”

Very early on (like jump 14 or so) I pulled and nothing happened. I looked over on my back and saw the pilot chute dancing happily on my back but not leaving to extract the main chute. The very next moment I notice there is a parachute floating away by itself and I thought “Wow, someone had to pull their reserve!!”

I looked down, saw the reserve D-ring in my hand and exclaimed, “Oh, it was ME!!!”

For all those who drill safety maneuvers, we thank you [emoji4]
Old 07-02-2019, 05:35 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post

You: “Only an idiot would jump from a perfectly good airplane”
Me: “Have you seen our jump plane?!”

Very early on (like jump 14 or so) I pulled and nothing happened. I looked over on my back and saw the pilot chute dancing happily on my back but not leaving to extract the main chute. The very next moment I notice there is a parachute floating away by itself and I thought “Wow, someone had to pull their reserve!!”

I looked down, saw the reserve D-ring in my hand and exclaimed, “Oh, it was ME!!!”

For all those who drill safety maneuvers, we thank you [emoji4]
Wow!

I only knew two people who were skydivers. BOTH of them had similar experiences and after that they both decided it was time to find another hobby.

In fact, the following week I had planned to accompany one of them for my first jump but his bad experience forced both him and me (he in a full leg cast up to his hip) to spend that Saturday at a bar instead.
Nstiwtiwgd
Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Nstiwtiwgd

Here’s my favorite hanger flying story from my Dad (career Air Force pilot and loved flying sailplanes with me)...as a young cadet he is instructed to meet his instructor at a particular aircraft and the plan is to practice some touch and gos. They both climb in, take off and as they are preparing for the first touch and go, he asks my Dad if he would like to try the first one. My Dad says, sure and after some careening and bouncing about on the runway, gets the aircraft up and off again.

“Maybe you should do the next one” my Dad says sheepishly.

It doesn’t go much better. The two of them trade off, bouncing and careening a little less each time until the tower requests they stop.

As they taxi back, my Dad asks, “Just how much time do you have in these?”

“Not much- aren’t YOU the instructor?”

My Dad: “Aren’t YOU?!!!