Obama to form panel to explore presidential bid

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Obama to form panel to explore presidential bid

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/16/obama.papers/index.html

This should be an interesting presidential primary season (I think whichever Democratic candidate wins the primaries will win the general election).

Of course some of the issues will be:
The war in Iraq
The war in Afghanistan
The war on terror
What to do with Iran
Energy
Health Care
& the main concern of that the candidate choose to differentiate themselves from others.

But some of the interesting/fun issues will be the side issues each candidate brings with them:
***Rudy Giuliani - How he manages - said to be abrasive; any family mafia connections?; is cancer still an issue for him? He ran NYC but no one went directly from mayor of NYC to the white house. Is the USA ready for a Catholic Italian American president?

***Sen. Barack Obama - He is smart, young and speaks very well. Is his experience too little? This could be a good thing he could talk about what he plans are and critics can not point to past errors. The most interesting aspects should be how other candidates, the news media and black leaders handle the race issues - the first black president; what does it mean to be black in America (his mother was white and father black from Kenya) and he lived abroad in his early years. Comparrision to JFK?

Hilary Clinton - What role will Bill play in the primary elections ? Questions about what it would be like if she is elected again what role will Bill play and the role reversals from Bill's terms. Will she champion a health care plan for all Americans. It should be interesting to see how other candidates, the news media and women's groups handle that she is a woman. Will Whitewater come up? Will she be questioned about Bill's past infidelities?

Joseph Biden is a fiesty speaker and should make things interesting.

John McCain - I'm guessing he has the best chance of the republicans and is well respected.

There are times in history where just election of the president we elect does change the course of history. One time was in the Civil War. If Lincoln was not elected for a second term Britain and possibly other nations were going to recognize the CSA and the south would have tried to fight to a negociated settlement to the war. The south knew it lost the war when Lincoln was elected.

How will those outside the USA view the person we elect and how will that influence their actions.

Finally, what if there is another terrorist attack on USA soil during the primaries or before the general election. How will that influence the elections and the discourse?

Interesting times.

Democrats who have declared their candidacies are:
Senator Christopher Dodd of Connecticut
Delaware Senator Joseph Biden
former North Carolina Senator John Edwards
the Democratic vice presidential nominee in 2004; former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack
Representative Dennis Kucinich of Ohio.

---- What will Hillary Clinton do?-----

Among Republicans are,
former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney
former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani
and Arizona Senator John McCain have formed exploratory committees,

Re: Obama to form panel to explore presidential bid

I predict that Obama will fail to win the Democratic nomination but could very well be the democratic vice presidential candidate. His time for a serious presidential run may come 8 years out.

The republicans may do something similar, choosing Condi Rice as the vice presidential candidate.

Oh wouldn't the networks have fun with that.

I have a hard time seeing Hilary winning the general election, but I've been living in very conservative states for the past 22 years so that may skew my impression. It's highly doubtful Texas or Indiana will pick the Dem candidate over the Rep candidate, anyway.

All my like-minded (politically) family members like Obama, but I haven't really checked him out myself yet. I'm too cynical to accept that twice on cable TV news they've confused Obama's and Osama's names accidentally, so the tinfoil-hat-covered portion of my brain thinks the right sees Obama as a potentially serious threat this term.

Funny you bring this up. Just today I was looking into when the caucuses and primaries start. The real thing starts in January 2008, and my primary is in March 2008 on Super Tuesday.

This may be a handy place to watch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_presidential_election

I was watching the Chicago news earlier this evening and they showed Obama talking and glad-handing......only problem I saw was Jesse Jackson (Sr.) standing right beside/behind him the whole time. THAT would scare me off! In all the years of watching Illinois/Chicago politics, Jesse has only been around to promote HIS ideals, and line HIS pockets with money from the very people HE "claims to be" a voice for. Jesse always tried to convince people that he had the same ideals, views, and beliefs as MLK. However, MLK fought the fight for the people, Jackson flaps his gums for HIS personal gain and benefit.

And me being neither Dem. or Rep., I just vote for who I think will serve MY best purpose!!! In the past, I've voted on both sides of the fence. I kind of like Obama, esp. considering some of the alternatives. I just don't like the "appearance" of an "alliance" with JJ, and I think a lot of folks (esp. down staters in IL) feel the same way.

IMO

One side note that is slightly off topic: If Jesse is a Reverand.....where in blazes is his church?? Or is he just a "TV" evangelist on the nightly news?? :LOL:

I hear Dakota Fanning is forming an exploratory panel as well.....she says she has as much experience as Obambi......

Newt Gingrich has hinted he might run. I don't think he'd do well--he's the "Anti-Obama" - conservative, not charismatic, has writtten a LOT, and has a lot of votes behind him that interest groups will use to pummel him. Still, it would sure liven up the campaign.
Apparently, having a square jaw and no experience is a sure-fire winner today.

I don't know much about him, but I wish him well against (ugh) Shillary. It's early and he's the media fave. Every candidate looks good... early.

Psssst, get the word out. The voter mantra for 2008 is ABABOAC. Anybody but a Bush or a Clinton. There just has to be someone from another family who's qualified.

Re: Guiliani. Seems to me that running the city of new york, including doing a very satisfactory job of managing the 9/11 crisis, might be a bit more substantial an effort than governing the state of arkansas, which experienced rather limited crises in the 1980's...

Hillary says what she thinks the people who are in front of her want to hear. Good luck with that.

Obamas a compelling speaker. Maybe if he was more than six months out of diapers he might be a worthy candidate. Sure does make a good lightning rod for the other demo candidates to use so they dont spend too much time crapping on each other and soiling their eventual candidate.

My vote is for a McCain/Guiliani ticket for the repubs. Nice moderate candidates with experience and well regarded overall by the people. McCains softness well offset by Guilianis toughness.

Not sure who will get the nod for the dems. Not sure it'll matter.

Eagle43 said:
Psssst, get the word out. The voter mantra for 2008 is ABABOAC. Anybody but a Bush or a Clinton. There just has to be someone from another family who's qualified.

Probably the most sensible thing I will hear about politics through 2008.

Hillary is a non-starter. She will enter, but won't have a chance of winning because she polarizes people too much. Same thing with Newt.

Giuliani: Nope. Not palatable to the trailerpark republicans, and an a-hole besides.

Obama: Come back in 8 or 12 years, kid. But you sound good. No freakin' way the unwashed masses will vote for an Afrcan-American President.

Condi: Smeared with the stench of Bush failures and African-American. Non-starter. Funny-lookin', too.

Romney: Don't make me laugh. A nutball Mormon who comes from a state that ties with CA for the most liberal. Yeah, right. Might as well flush that campaign donation right down the john.

Dunno about the others. Edwards might not work out, since he is a retread, and it will be hard for him to shake the "slicker than owlsh!t" vibe that is so offsetting to the unwashed masses who don't like anyone smarter than them. McCain looks like the man to beat for the Republican primary, but the far right values wackos have lots of ammunition to use against him. I like what I have heard from Vilsack, but would we really install a president with such a funny last name?

It will be interesting to see if the next election is based on slash and burn tactics that appeal only to one side of the political spectrum, or if centrists come back into favor. I'd rather see Republican and Democrat centrist candidates face off, rather than a far right and union-pandering cage match. Not holding my breath, though.

brewer12345 said:
Condi: Smeared with the stench of Bush failures and African-American. Non-starter. Funny-lookin', too.

Worst. NSA. Ever.

Worst. Secretary of State. Ever.

Go ahead...try and find someone who previously held either job demonstrated the least skill coupled with the most arrogance.

But she did reference Bush as "my husband" by accident once, which was pretty funny. Kissinger never did anything half as amusing as that.

Hmmm, Obama has held elected office for ten years, and the inexperience factor didn't prevent JFK from winning. Still, I have a hard time coming up with a state Obama or Hillary could win that Kerry didn't (what, Tenessee is going to switch to blue?). McCain is the man to beat on the Repub side, but I think once he gets through New Hampshire he'll get slaughtered in the southern states by Vilsack. Romney really doesn't have a chance, his polling is decent right now, but he has too much on the record supporting gay rights etc. to ever get through Dixie (although Reagan was a divorced actor and yet assumed the mantle of Christian Savior). Look to Vilsack proxies to run "swift boat veterans against holy underwear" ads to sink this campaign. McCain's best hope is Romney and Vilsack to split the ultra-right vote. Hillary will immolate Dean-style. I'll go out on a limb and say the Demo ticket will be Biden/Obama.

Eagle43 said:
Psssst, get the word out. The voter mantra for 2008 is ABABOAC. Anybody but a Bush or a Clinton.

A rather biased-disguised-as-unbiased thing to say given there isn't a Bush running in 2008. Plus there have been two Bushes serving as President already and only one Clinton.

Too bad Bentsen died or we could have Gingrich versus Bentsen. :LOL: They could have mudslinging ads about each other's scandal.

Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny said:
But she did reference Bush as "my husband" by accident once, which was pretty funny. Kissinger never did anything half as amusing as that.

I need that clip.

brewer12345 said:
that ties with CA for the most liberal.

We're not all ultra-liberals in Calif. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing
to bet the pink slip on one of my cars there isn't a liberal household within a mile of our home. (Distance to my nearest neighbor). ;)

(

Jarhead, is it raining there. It's snowing here! It'll be a cold day in Texas before we elect a lib..... er ah, erase that. :LOL: ABABOAC.

Jarhead* said:
We're not all ultra-liberals in Calif. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing
to bet the pink slip on one of my cars there isn't a liberal household within a mile of our home. (Distance to my nearest neighbor). ;)

(

Pink slip?

brewer12345 said:
Pink slip?

Where I grew up (NY) that was a common expression for the registration, which was pink in color.

Mike D.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I need that clip.

April of 2004 at a dinner party she said "As I was telling my husb....<pause> as I was telling President Bush".

I dont believe there was an audio or video capture of the slip.

brewer12345 said:
Edwards might not work out, since he is a retread, and it will be hard for him to shake the "slicker than owlsh!t" vibe that is so offsetting to the unwashed masses who don't like anyone smarter than them.

Good point, but Bill Clinton was smarter than most everyone, and people liked him.
I don't think Edwards seems quite as slick as Bill Clinton, but just as empathetic and
charismatic and smart.

The thing that is remarkable about this election is that it will be the first time in a
VERY long time that neither party's candidate will be a sitting President or Vice
President. Maybe 1952 ?

RustyShackleford said:
The thing that is remarkable about this election is that it will be the first time in a
VERY long time that neither party's candidate will be a sitting President or Vice
President. Maybe 1952 ?

According to my earlier link, it's the first time since 1928 "that neither the sitting president nor the sitting vice president will enter a state caucus or primary and run for president." This assumes Cheney serves his full term and means what he's said. If his heart gives out between now and then, who knows?

I saw Edwards on Jay Leno and was very unimpressed. Reminded me of a high-school student running for president of the student body.

Laurence said:
Hmmm, Obama has held elected office for ten years, and the inexperience factor didn't prevent JFK from winning. Still, I have a hard time coming up with a state Obama or Hillary could win that Kerry didn't (what, Tenessee is going to switch to blue?). McCain is the man to beat on the Repub side, but I think once he gets through New Hampshire he'll get slaughtered in the southern states by Vilsack. Romney really doesn't have a chance, his polling is decent right now, but he has too much on the record supporting gay rights etc. to ever get through Dixie (although Reagan was a divorced actor and yet assumed the mantle of Christian Savior). Look to Vilsack proxies to run "swift boat veterans against holy underwear" ads to sink this campaign. McCain's best hope is Romney and Vilsack to split the ultra-right vote. Hillary will immolate Dean-style. I'll go out on a limb and say the Demo ticket will be Biden/Obama.

Obama has only been a US senator for TWO YEARS............I don't count state reps as Presidential fodder.......... :)

Well, most seem to think and outsider status is a good thing, and Senators pretty much have no shot once they have too many votes "on record". He was President of Harvard Law <student body?>, so obviously not an idiot. Frankly, I have an open mind to him.

Oh, and technically, he'll have been a Senator for 4 years come 2008/9... :)

Still, many Americans "know a neighbor" who wouldn't vote for a black man, so people may shy away in the voting booth, and Hillary has what, 40% "strong negatives" with the voters, so that may sink her. Biden really could swoop in and nab the nomination, and frankly I find him acceptable, too. In fact, if we had McCain vs. Biden in '08, I'd feel pretty hopeful for the country!

How many on this thread can say they have accurately predicted any major party's nominee or the president-elect two years before inauguration? More than one would predict by random chance?

I'm a young'un, but it seems to me that there have been several times in history where the eventual front-runner was somewhere in the "rest of 'em" pack for quite a while. I believe Jimmy Carter is a good example of this. Also Bob Dole I don't think was the front-runner for a long time. Al Gore, too, I think. Anyhow, I'm not a big politics person and watch more for amusement value and not looking stupid to my peers on current events.

I did come up with one predictive theory though: The nicer/more personable of the two major party candidates wins the presidency. IMHO, that rule has worked for every election for the past 30 years. Before that I don't know the candidates personalities very well.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom