Obamarama

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know if this is getting any press in the rest of the country, but Barack Obama just spent the holidays sitting on our beaches trying to decide whether or not to compete against the likes of John Edwards & Hillary. Obama's regarded as a local guy and would immediately be claimed as a favorite son.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/29/news/story08.html

These guys are waving signs because state law more or less forbids outdoor advertising, so First Amendment expressions go up on fences & concrete walls instead of billboards. The signs & stickers are starting to become underground collectibles like the 2007 "Eddie Would Go" surf contest.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Right now the hype is caused by Hawaii being closer to a presidential election than ever before (and perhaps ever again). But maybe there's a time for someone who's too young & inexperienced to know that he can't win...

Nords said:
I don't know if this is getting any press in the rest of the country, but Barack Obama just spent the holidays sitting on our beaches trying to decide whether or not to compete against the likes of John Edwards & Hillary. Obama's regarded as a local guy and would immediately be claimed as a favorite son.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/29/news/story08.html

These guys are waving signs because state law more or less forbids outdoor advertising, so First Amendment expressions go up on fences & concrete walls instead of billboards. The signs & stickers are starting to become underground collectibles like the 2007 "Eddie Would Go" surf contest.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Right now the hype is caused by Hawaii being closer to a presidential election than ever before (and perhaps ever again). But maybe there's a time for someone who's too young & inexperienced to know that he can't win...

We need to see some positive moves in Iraq and get McCain a great running mate.

This liberal leaning nut would vote for McCain in a second. The guy deserves it. True american hero.

Obama, what can I say, the guy is a very good speaker, and as you say probably does not know he cannot win.

I think I'm going to say the "An Inconvenient Truth". Barack Obama doesn't have much of a work history.
http://www.gale.com/free_resources/bhm/bio/obama_b.htm

And it is that lack of a work history that will work for him. No one has anything to point to that can be made into an negative issue. Most of the positive comments point to good speaking qualities.

We will get the government we deserve. And that government will be physically good looking, speak well and the least offensive to as many people as possible. We will not get ugly people such as A. Lincoln; W. Wilson. We will not fat people such as T. Roosevelt nor crippled people such as F. Roosevelt. Nor will be get people to challenge us to be a better country or better people.

Obama is only a viable candidate because of his dark complexion and party affiliation. If he was a white repub, he would be laughed at or worse - ignored. He's a 1st term senator with only 2 years in office. His record before the US Senate is pretty weak with his claim to fame being in the state legistature a few terms. If picked, the dems would nominate someone with even less qualifications than John Edwards.

Bush II was beaten relentlessly over his "gravitas" or lack thereof. I'd be curious how the press would compare Obama on that scale against Bush II, the two term governor. Please, no hate mongering. I don't like Bush II either.

The pathetic thing is that Obama could win because the repubs are just as intent on finding a pathetic candidate as the dems. There is just more buzz about the dems because there seems to be a broad opinion that the "country has turned" and a dem will be elected prez in 2008.

I think he could have the nomination if he wanted it. Any dem that opposed him openly would risk alienating the black vote and being whispered about being a "closet racist." Hillary must be spitting nails at the thought.

From a tactical point of view, his dark complexion isn't really worth much to the dems. Blacks vote in massive numbers for the dems anyway. Now a black repub would have an impact.

For his sake and the country's, I'd like him to get some more experience and possibly a cabinet post under a dem prez before going for his own shot. I'm sure he could run as VP with any dem or repub (wouldn't that be a shock) but that runs the risk of being too closely allied with whatever crap the next prez does even though the VP has no constitutional impact except to break tie votes.

I tend to agree with 2B....

The press will build you up, but after you announce will tear you down.. except this might be one time they don't BECAUSE he is black (who says there is not racism alive and well)...

From a money point of veiw (and it is money that talks)... Hillary has him beaten by a WIDE margin... he does not have much of a chance

NOW, I had heard some talking head suggest that he not run... Hillary wins the primary and then PICKS Obama for the VP... kind of kill two birds with one election... that way HE would be the front runner after 8 years of Hillary (or 4 of her, 4 of a Rep and then another open election....)... this sounds like a possible idea..

But, I still think the country is so against Hillary (I am in that boat) there is no way she can win...

I would rather have Obama in there than Hillary...

BUT, I would rather have McCain in than either of these two...

Is there anybody else:confused:?

Who heard of Bill Clinton outside of Arkansas this early in his cycle? There's still time for someone to come forward. From the repub standpoint there are no big name fronrunners overpowering the field. The dems have to contend with St. Hillary, annointed by Bill Almighty. I haven't heard any dem make the same comment about Hillary that got slathered on Bush II -- he's only running because of his daddy -- or in her case her husband. Hillary is also a "political midget" but that doesn't get brought up either.

McCain has some positives although he has taken as many sides of a few issues as Kerry. He'll have a horrible time getting the repub nomination but he's probably got a better chance in the general election than any other repub I've heard about.

Politics aside, he is the most glib, articulate and comfortable public speaker I have ever seen. If his politics would be damaging for the nation, then whoever is going to debate him or take him to task needs to be Daniel Webster caliber material.

I shall not contrast to the current occupant of 1600 Penn Ave.

dex said:
I think I'm going to say the "An Inconvenient Truth". Barack Obama doesn't have much of a work history. ... We will not get ugly people such as A. Lincoln; W. Wilson. We will not fat people such as T. Roosevelt nor crippled people such as F. Roosevelt. Nor will be get people to challenge us to be a better country or better people.
Obama will definitely challenge you to build a better country. And while he is better looking than Lincoln he has a similar work history in the same state.

Everyone who actually knows McCain says he is borderline nuts. He may be a hero but he might completely unwind as President.

Don

donheff said:
Everyone who actually knows McCain says he is borderline nuts. He may be a hero but he might completely unwind as President.
People should read his book (or Timberg's biography) before they vote for McCain.

But since Powell isn't running, it's not likely that we'll have many choices...

Nords said:
People should read his book (or Timberg's biography) before they vote for McCain.

But since Powell isn't running, it's not likely that we'll have many choices...

McCain won't get any national traction with the repubs. The dems who love his "maverick" style (aka - votes with them frequently) will turn on him if he should by some very unlikely chance get the repub nomination.

2B said:
McCain won't get any national traction with the repubs. The dems who love his "maverick" style (aka - votes with them frequently) will turn on him if he should by some very unlikely chance get the repub nomination.
To say nothing of McCain's good buddy Karl Rove...

Nords said:
To say nothing of McCain's good buddy Karl Rove...

If Rove has anything to do with ANY repub.... I just have to not vote... :(

newguy888 said:
We need to see some positive moves in Iraq and get McCain a great running mate.

This liberal leaning nut would vote for McCain in a second. The guy deserves it. True american hero.

Obama, what can I say, the guy is a very good speaker, and as you say probably does not know he cannot win.

McCain is out in my opinion. Troop increase:confused:? Sounds like political suicide to me. When Bush "surges" the troops and the whole thing bellyflops, McCain's protests that they didn't surge "enough" will not impress the voters. He'll have a hard time spinning that one away.

Besides, he's anti-abortion, and didn't just give Bush II lip-service in 2004, he actively campaigend for the nut. He caved to Bush and gave him authorization to torture Americans. Not the stuff of heros. He, of all people, should have shown more integrity. But he's gritted his teeth and done dumb things to keep the party behind him. I'd have more respect for him if he'd told them to shove it and gone independent.

Anyone that wholeheartedly campaigned for Bush II is either dishonest, or has poor judgment IMO. Thumbs down to McCain.

Maybe Obama can't win, and maybe he can. In a match-up against McCain, after a failed "surge", with Obama's consistent anti-Iraq policy (read no flip-flopping), I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.

I think Obama is very well spoken and might have a chance - it is still too far off - I agree with 2B about some unkown.

Also note - when was last time a current Senator won the White House? I think the odds are against a current Senator winning the White House - too easy to hold his voting record against him/her. Hillary and McCain have too much history there. Obama or Edwards too little experience.

If the choices came down to two senators, I think the less experience actually becomes a positive for general public

I am still so angry about the mess Bush has got us into in Iraq, the damage he has done to our world image and the economic sink hole he and Republican congress created at home, that I won't vote for another Republican in my lifetime. Recently, someone listed all the things that could have been accomplished with the monies being pissed away to save his sorry face. It makes a grown man want to cry. If I had children, I'd probably exhibit a murderous rage.

Kerry, Hillary, and Edwards voted to enable this president to get us into this war. Hillary still refuses to admit that that vote was ill advised at best. I think that it exhibits negligence for all of them. Kerry and Edwards, at least, have admitted the vote was a mistake. So Obama represents the best candidate for me at this point.

If Hillary would get some political balls, and admit she screwed up, she could have the best Secretary of State sharing the same bedroom. Team Clinton could win big, but she has to stand against continuing supporting this insanity. No one, absolutely no one, could be worse for this nation than that bonehead in there right now.

If nothing else, I think McCain's age is a factor against him. Born in 1936, he would be 72 during the '08 election.

Elderdude said:
If Hillary would get some political balls, and admit she screwed up, she could have the best Secretary of State sharing the same bedroom.

Dear Abby:

My husband is a liar and a cheat. He has cheated on me from the beginning, and, when I confront him, he denies everything. What's worse, everyone knows that he cheats on me. It is so humiliating.
Also, since he lost his job five years ago, he hasn't even looked for a new one. All he does all day is smoke cigars, cruise around and bull---- with his buddies while I have to work to pay the bills. Since our daughter went away to college he doesn't even
pretend to like me and hints that I may be a lesbian.

What should I do?

Signed,
Clueless

Dear Clueless:

Grow up and dump him. Good grief, woman. You don't need him anymore. You're a United States Senator from New York. Act like one.

O"bambi" is really a better name for this babe in the woods guy. Even if he can overcome his lack of experience, he is involved in a very shady real estate deal with a crooked lobbyist!! He'll have a hard time sweet talking himself out of that story. Don't forget that there is one very ambitious woman standing in his way too. Methinks Hildebeast is gonna eat his lunch once the camp"pain" starts in earnest. But even if Hildebeast doesn't take the attack dog route and destroys the mans character, 22 months is an ETERNITY in politics. He'll be as worn out as an old shoe by then. Then you'll ask, Obambi who? Of course I could be wrong......Lets talk in 20 months!! Maybe it'll be Clinton/Obambi?

Ask any Canadian and they absolutely detest Bush.

The sooner he's gone the better off we will all be.

I couldn't believe he got back in for a second term.

What the hell were you all thinking back then? :'(

Zipper said:
Ask any Canadian and they absolutely detest Bush.

The sooner he's gone the better off we will all be.

I couldn't believe he got back in for a second term.

What the hell were you all thinking back then? :'(

Hey, whatever happened to CoolDude?

Martha said:
Hey, whatever happened to CoolDude?

Oh, I was just reading up on the war in Iran that Bush is planning for his third term. ;)

Thank you, donheff. We lived in AZ for over 30 years, and laughed at how the country loves McCain. Watch him in person sometime. Way overrated. Lousy guy, lousy politics. Ironically ... Jon Kyl is twice the man McCain is ... Kyl would be excellent, but you seldom hear about him. Appreciate McCain's service, but that doesn't make him Presidential material.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom