Odd Duck Homes

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Awesome woodworking skills. But way over the top. Especially for a desert home.
+1

I like the fact that the owner loved his home and had the courage to make it consistent with his tastes. My guess is that whoever he sells it to will make some major changes.

Imagine keeping all that woodwork dusted, especially in the desert. Elaborate dog door was cute, though.

Some amazing talent there, and would look almost appropriate in a proper Victorian or Tudor (with some balance). My favorite part was the playhouse in the back, which showed a more balanced restraint.

It's like a museum. I could imagine hushed tones as folks walked through, admiring the nearly lost art and amazing craftsmanship. Having said that, I wouldn't have a desire to live in it - nor pay for the amazing work as it's just not me. YMMV

for a 1400sq ft home they lost probably 200sq ft with that STUFF>>>>>>>>>>>

Desert does nothing for me....

Pretty grotesque in that setting. That will limit their market. How many people would want to live with that 15th century mishmash.

Imagine keeping all that woodwork dusted, especially in the desert. Elaborate dog door was cute, though.
Yeah, the dog door! That's the kind of thing you'd keep even if you modified (removed) the rest.

Here's an ultimate odd duck. We saw this place when we stopped at the motel below it. Turns out we all missed an opportunity to buy this place! The motel ended up buying it. It is called the "Smith Mansion" and is well known in the Cody, WY area.
https://cowboystatedaily.com/2020/02/02/wyomings-weird-and-wacky-smith-mansion-finally-sold/

Attachments

• mansion1.JPG
    mansion1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 75
  • mansion2.JPG
    mansion2.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 540
  • mansion3.JPG
    mansion3.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 61
To me, the important thing is that it was obviously a labor of love.

Reminds me of a house not that far from us. Search "Cincinnati mushroom house" for details.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.12.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.12.53 AM.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 69
A lot of that woodwork looks to me like architectural salvage. Maybe the owner retired from the business and had some pieces left over...

Location, location, location.

Best of luck them getting their price.

Rich

new buyer better like tiger oak (i think thats what that is. ?)
And also, this type of thing is going on during the pandemic lockin.

Added: SOmething about those relatively low ceilings and ho hum house, coupled with the dark tall woodwork EVERYWHERE make me feel creeped out and claustrophobic. Keep one of the bathroom vanities and the kitchen cabinets and lose the rest please

Last edited:
A lot of that woodwork looks to me like architectural salvage. Maybe the owner retired from the business and had some pieces left over...

My initial thought was architectural salvage, but the more I looked at all the doorways and windows and corners that fit the trim just right the more it said "new old work". Awesome period carving - the gryphon knuckles are a fave. Wonder what the story is - if the owner is a retired Brit wood carving restoration professional or just happened to pick up the hobby and knock out a few things - doubt it!

Reminds me of a home in Florida I visited once. The owner was a seller of plaster(?)/stone columns and architectural pieces. There was a ton of that stuff all through the house, like a showroom. But it made a little sense, if not designer sense.

Agree with others that it is way over the top.... I would never want to live there and I like wood.

Agree with others that it is way over the top.... I would never want to live there and I like wood.

Yep, I'd never tell someone else how to live their life or how to decorate. Having said that, it's good to know what consequences come from individualized decorations and installations. It's sort of like putting in a pool in the U. P. You'll love it during the 2 months of summer, but it may cost your widow when she goes to sell the place. YMMV

Thank you for sharing this. It was so much fun to view.

I hope it was a labor of love, because they'll never recoup the investment of time, labor and materials due to an extremely limited market that would call that their dream home.

Back
Top Bottom