Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
My neighbor did that before moving. I discovered he didn't pay for trash pick up service and the collector just assumes they are mine. Maybe that's what's happening in your neck of the woods?
Thought of that when they started doing it, checked our bill and no extra cart charges.

Its odd, but what is bothersome is not doing it the evening before. Being woke up at 5-530 brings back memories of work! I have finally gotten to the point of being able to sleep past 6am!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Thought of that when they started doing it, checked our bill and no extra cart charges.

Its odd, but what is bothersome is not doing it the evening before. Being woke up at 5-530 brings back memories of work! I have finally gotten to the point of being able to sleep past 6am!
Could it be they want their garbage picked up earlier, perhaps you are on the early side of the street ?
Then they could retrieve their garbage cans before going to work ?
Old 06-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a tank of Sinclair gas this week in Colorado, near Gunnison, IIRC.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post

Then you should talk to them. If you don't care about them doing it, ask them to do it in the evening so they don't wake you.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

I noticed this on my daily walks. We live in a rural area, so our mailboxes are out at the street where are driveways meet the street.

On our street, all mailboxes are on the same side of the street. Our mailbox is on the opposite side (west side) of the street. The mail lady just takes a one way trip down our street and delivers all mail into mailboxes out her passenger side window on the west side of the street.

But the next street over has mailboxes on each side of the street. Their mailboxes are on the same side of the street as their driveways.

Why do some streets have mailboxes on both sides of the street, but ours has mailboxes only on one side?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I noticed this on my daily walks. We live in a rural area, so our mailboxes are out at the street where are driveways meet the street.

On our street, all mailboxes are on the same side of the street. Our mailbox is on the opposite side (west side) of the street. The mail lady just takes a one way trip down our street and delivers all mail into mailboxes out her passenger side window on the west side of the street.

But the next street over has mailboxes on each side of the street. Their mailboxes are on the same side of the street as their driveways.

Why do some streets have mailboxes on both sides of the street, but ours has mailboxes only on one side?
My mailbox is on the same side of the street that my front door faces. I was told that's the rule.

I live on a corner lot, so my driveway faces south, but my front door faces west. My box is west, whereas most homes have their box by their driveway.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

I always thought it was due to distance and mailbox density, so in suburbs they would be on both sides of the street and the postal driver just drives up and down the street. In a 1 mile street they have a lot of mailboxes.

But when I drive out in the Country I notice they are on 1 side of the street, as I pass by farms.
In 1 mile of road there are few houses, maybe 5 per side of the road.
I figured it was because the long distance to deliver to few mailboxes would be doubled if they had to drive up and down the roads.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #88

I have noticed we teach kids not to have cake for breakfast but we encourage muffins and pancakes (with syrup). The ingredients are all about the same I think!?
Old 06-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My guess is that the two streets were developed in different years, and the local PO had a different policy between the two. I think Zillow usually gives the year houses were built. Or maybe different developers, and one lobbied harder to have them one way or the other. Or there is some difference in the density, width or something else.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I have noticed we teach kids not to have cake for breakfast but we encourage muffins and pancakes (with syrup). The ingredients are all about the same I think!?

I noticed as a very small child and have had it confirmed at every step along the way since then. "Gown-ups" were always and everywhere the biggest bunch of genetically failed unsalvageable dumb-asses who never had a thought or a belief that wasn't crying to be shot in the head.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I've been doing a lot of landscaping during the SIP. I built a stone wall and it's attracted those western fence lizards. You know, the ones that are gray with blue bellies. Well, one has taken a shining to me. He's darker than most and a bit larger. I call him Blackie. Every day I go out and sit on that wall and he comes a runnin'. He'll come right over to me and wait for me to scratch his head. Then he'll run up onto my lap. Quite a friendly little chap!
The lizards in our neighborhood aren't so friendly. That's Jasper photobombing me.
spiny bite.jpg
Old 06-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Not to mention Danish pastry and doughnuts (basically, fried cake).

The idea is that cake is supposed to be celebratory...or something.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
The lizards in our neighborhood aren't so friendly. That's Jasper photobombing me.
Attachment 35380
Just little geckos for us (anoles).
Old 06-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Just little geckos for us (anoles).
I still laugh recalling my cat stalking geckos in Riyadh.....he'd catch one, it'd drop the tail, so he'd have one paw on the gecko and the other on the tail.

The gecko wouldn't move, but the tail would twitch.....so the paw on the gecko would transfer to the top of the other paw on the tail.

The tailless gecko would then 'beat feet'.....every time....cat never figured it out.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Back in our old neighborhood of 3-5 acre lots, we scratched our heads when every neighbor put up one of those costly wooden swingset/ladder/playhouse/gym sets, and we never saw or heard kids playing on them. One neighbor installed a fabulous pool/fountain/waterfall landscape, plus a sport court with two basketball hoops. They had one son, who never used these wonderful amenities except a couple of times when he had college friends over.
Amethyst,
A neighbor a few blocks over has installed a purchased heavy duty strap between two trees, and it has gymnasts type rings or a short swinging bar every 3'.
His young kids are swinging from ring to ring to bar like little gymnasts, and they travel from one end to the other.
It is cool, and those kids are playing on it often when I go for my walk.
JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

He is persona non grata these days, but Bill Cosby had a related hilarious skit from one of his 1980s comedy specials. You can search for "Chocolate Cake for Breakfast" if you are interested.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Even though entertainers, like other people, can have a very dark side, we can still enjoy the good things they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
He is persona non grata these days, but Bill Cosby had a related hilarious skit from one of his 1980s comedy specials. You can search for "Chocolate Cake for Breakfast" if you are interested.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Even though entertainers, like other people, can have a very dark side, we can still enjoy the good things they did.

I agree, there are just so many "wokebots" I run into IRL who get upset at the mere mention of his name.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

This neat design on the back of my truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spiderweb.jpg (139.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I got a tank of Sinclair gas this week in Colorado, near Gunnison, IIRC.
There's a bunch in Colorado.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote