Off Beat Ideas

Elbata

Full time employment: Posting here.
Do you have an off-beat idea where others think you're off your rocker?

IOW, do you look at the world differently than those around you? What the world thinks is perfectly normal, you raise an eyebrow?

Perhaps a book you've read, a video on Youtube, or a website.

Let's share.

They said "you're going to manufacture what? Who's going to buy a greenhouse?"
Ten years later I've hired several of those people to help bend pipe. Turns out everyone that wants to grow marijuana in the three state area of the Pacific Northwest now wants one.

They said, "You urgently need the most recent operating system, browser version and virus protection otherwise you are doomed, DOOMED!"

I've generally avoided those for 20 years, yet remain unhacked and virus free.

Last edited:
If we can ignore those pesky physics problems -
A self-powered travel trailer. No need for a large, expensive, and infrequently used tow vehicle.

Not so much here, but in "the world around me":

It's easy to make your own investment decisions, easier than trying to make a decision about an outsider to make those decision for you.

Financial 'experts' are rarely able to make better investment decisions than just buying an broad-based index fund. Unlike carpentry or plumbing or product design, it's not an area where expertise really helps, because no one has expertise in predicting the future.

Corporations don't really pay taxes, their customers do (turning a 'progressive' tax on the corporation into a flat tax on the customer).

and....

Electric cars are not "Zero Pollution", and overall may be nearly as bad, or worse than a modern hybrid vehicle.

Organic farmers sometimes use more pesticides than commercial farmers.

Immigrants do not have rights under our Constitution, until they become Citizens.

Salt intake isn't an issue for most people with high blood pressure.

Your cholesterol level is not affected much by the cholesterol content of the food you eat.

Dark beer is not necessarily 'stronger' than a light colored beer. Color is not an indicator of "ale" versus "lager".

Last edited:
I like to employ a paid financial advisor to handle my equities and people here think I'm nuts.

I like to employ a paid financial advisor to handle my equities and people here think I'm nuts.

Ha ha ha! Me too! Guess now we are both "out." :D

Ha ha ha! Me too! Guess now we are both "out." :D
Actually that makes you both like most people, just not like most at er.org. So I guess you're both normal people who choose to hang out with an "off-beat" crowd. :)

Last edited:
IOW, do you look at the world differently than those around you? What the world thinks is perfectly normal, you raise an eyebrow?
Isn't that the definition of a curmudgeon?

Perhaps a book you've read, a video on Youtube, or a website.

Let's share.

Do tell.

If we can ignore those pesky physics problems -
A self-powered travel trailer. No need for a large, expensive, and infrequently used tow vehicle.
Brilliant. You could call it something like a "Winnebago".

Did someone just say Winnebago? Here's a cutie.

9c44bd606037467f739162e3d8a48798.jpg

And the interior of a 1974 Winnebago. Does that bring tears to your nostalgic eyes?

8210808311_3e72ffac9d_c.jpg

Last edited:
Is this what you are looking for?

I don't think it is healthy to watch TV shows or movies in which multiple people are assaulted or killed, especially when accompanied with loud high tension music. I think this raises our stress levels and is equivalent to setting off firecrackers in a dark room where a puppy dog is caged. It's mean. Why would I be mean to a puppy dog, or to myself? Instead, I look for peace and serenity in my entertainment options.

It would help if YOU (Elbata) went first to gave us an example of what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Not me. Everything I do and think is not only perfectly normal, it's obviously the right thing/way. It's everybody else that is off kilter.

Brilliant. You could call it something like a "Winnebago".

Heh heh, you missed this part -

Playing along, I was thinking down the line of a minimally powered 'hybrid' unit with a small two cylinder pancake style engine snuggled in around the axles.

In another thread, I talked about rehydrating some overlooked dried-out prunes, and people gave me a hard time.

What will they say when I next try to rehydrate some beef jerky? Alton Brown talked of using jerky to make chili, but I have not tried that.
I was the one who gave you such a hard time about the prunes. Today I told Frank about that exchange, and I must admit that he sided with you and saw absolutely nothing wrong with rehydrating those old disgusting prunes.

I don't see why beef jerky would make any better chili than fresh meat. To me, beef jerky is to take hiking or camping. But at least you would know it wasn't spoiled. I didn't feel confident about that when discussing prunes.

The dried prunes are not spoiled at all, the same as jerky wouldn't be. Well, it is indeed better to eat stuff that is fresh and does not need rehydration. Hence, I do not see the point of Alton's jerky stew.

Hmm... Can old wrinkly people get rehydrated the same as these prunes? They sell a lot of skincare products to women, but all I know is if I stay in a bathtub for too long, my fingertips get all wrinkly. So, I don't think anything will work with people. Try soaking yourself in a hot tub, and see what I mean.

Last edited:
....if I stay in a bathtub for too long, my fingertips get all wrinkly.

Read 'somewhere' recently that that's an evolutionary thing....supposedly improves the grip under wet conditions.

Sounds plausible, but then I'm easily fooled.

I was the one who gave you such a hard time about the prunes. Today I told Frank about that exchange, and I must admit that he sided with you and saw absolutely nothing wrong with rehydrating those old disgusting prunes.

I don't see why beef jerky would make any better chili than fresh meat. To me, beef jerky is to take hiking or camping. But at least you would know it wasn't spoiled. I didn't feel confident about that when discussing prunes.

As the jerky rehydrates it absorbs the chille liquid, flavoring the meat with chille as well as the chille with meat.

I frequently add dehydrated tomatoes to spaghetti sauce for the same reason.

As the jerky rehydrates it absorbs the chille liquid, flavoring the meat with chille as well as the chille with meat.

I frequently add dehydrated tomatoes to spaghetti sauce for the same reason.

Interesting! Maybe that would shorten the cooking time.

Many years ago DW told me of this great idea she had: the windows of the house and car could be made "medicated" to match your glasses prescription; then you could look outside and see clearly without having to put on your glasses!

I said that was a great idea, and they even could make a portable version you could bring with you; perhaps make a special frame so the "medicated glass" could be attached close to your head and eyes, for convenience! ;)

I came up with the idea of a device to allow a person to experience weird alternate reality visions and sounds, performing various interactions in the story, sometimes intense scary events.
Everyone told me you are dreaming ;)

Back
Top Bottom