Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As dog owners it is OUR responsibility to have our dogs under COMPLETE control. Whether it be by leash or voice , COMPLETE control.
We must understand that it is not the responsibility of the jogger, or the mom with two small children to determine whether the dog coming toward them at speed is being "friendly" or "threatening"...
"Oh, he's friendly" is not reassuring to these people. It is our job to control our dogs.
When I make my dog sit quetly at my feet while a family passes, they understand they are not at risk.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
As dog owners it is OUR responsibility to have our dogs under COMPLETE control. Whether it be by leash or voice , COMPLETE control.
We must understand that it is not the responsibility of the jogger, or the mom with two small children to determine whether the dog coming toward them at speed is being "friendly" or "threatening"...
"Oh, he's friendly" is not reassuring to these people. It is our job to control our dogs.
When I make my dog sit quetly at my feet while a family passes, they understand they are not at risk.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
I have to ask: what does everybody mean when they say "aggressive?" To me aggressive is snarling, growling, baring teeth, etc. But where I currently live I've seen people call a dog aggressive if the dog presses up against a leg, jumps, circles, etc even if the dog is wagging its tail while doing so. I can see that being annoying, but I wouldn't call it aggressive. Thoughts?
If you take the dog into a public place and people find it to be aggressive, it is aggressive. Let him jump up on your friends all they will tolerate, but he could cause some old lady to fall and break a hip. He could also ruin expensive clothes. I know it's incredible, but in general people are not crazy about Fido's circling and jumping on legs etc. A dog who does any of the things that you mention is not a trained dog, and in my opinion the owner should be cited.

People pay property, and use, and income taxes. Dogs don't, so buy a farm somewhere far from other people and let your dog do whatever your friends will put up with.

I live in a heavily urban area, but I think more people have dogs than children. The dogs are rarely well trained, that takes time and usually money plus experience with animals that many new dog mommies and daddies do not have. Still, they tend to be small, and the doggie parents do not in general loose them on the other people. I think it not so much from politeness, but from a strong desire to not see their doggie become a mess on the street.

I remember some inconsiderate guy who once was on this forum who was proud of not bothering to pick up his dog's stool. That is something I never see. People from well off millennials to street people clean up after their dogs, so at least they can accomplish that.

Also, dogs are expensive (vets!), they live practically forever, they take more work than a wife, grooming likely costs more, and usually they cannot check into the Days Inn with you.

Ha
Old 02-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
The irony!
Force of habit.....guess I shoulda said "Multi Use Path"
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Off leash dog problem
Old 02-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Off leash dog problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you take the dog into a public place and people find it to be aggressive, it is aggressive. Let him jump up on your friends all they will tolerate, but he could cause some old lady to fall and break a hip. He could also ruin expensive clothes. I know it's incredible, but in general people are not crazy about Fido's circling and jumping on legs etc. A dog who does any of the things that you mention is not a trained dog, and in my opinion the owner should be cited.

People pay property, and use, and income taxes. Dogs don't, so buy a farm somewhere far from other people and let your dog do whatever your friends will put up with.

I live in a heavily urban area, but I think more people have dogs than children. The dogs are rarely well trained, that takes time and usually money plus experience with animals that many new dog mommies and daddies do not have. Still, they tend to be small, and the doggie parents do not in general loose them on the other people. I think it not so much from politeness, but from a strong desire to not see their doggie become a mess on the street.

I remember some inconsiderate guy who once was on this forum who was proud of not bothering to pick up his dog's stool. That is something I never see. People from well off millennials to street people clean up after their dogs, so at least they can accomplish that.

Also, dogs are expensive (vets!), they live practically forever, they take more work than a wife, grooming likely costs more, and usually they cannot check into the Days Inn with you.

Ha

I wasn't talking about my own dog, so thanks but I don't think I'll be buying a farm anytime soon. I was asking what other people consider aggressive behavior. Just trying to make sense of this thread since the relationship to dogs in my current city is very different from my last location.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just one problem I see with this.... if there is a lease law, then the dog should be on a lease no matter how much control you might have with your voice... even if the owner has 100% control by voice..

I do know that a dog can be 100% controlled by voice... one of my sisters had a husky that was trained.... she would go grocery shopping and take the dog to the store. She would have it outside in the shade and tell it to sit and stay.... it did not move at all until she was done shopping.... I thought it strange, but it was her dog....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just one problem I see with this.... if there is a lease law, then the dog should be on a lease no matter how much control you might have with your voice... even if the owner has 100% control by voice..

But using the tenants of FI and LBYM wouldn't it normally be better to buy the dog instead of lease it?

wanders off looking for a calculator.....
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Time flies. How many years ago did we visit?

Too long!! I wish you would come back again soon.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I do know that a dog can be 100% controlled by voice... one of my sisters had a husky that was trained.... she would go grocery shopping and take the dog to the store. She would have it outside in the shade and tell it to sit and stay.... it did not move at all until she was done shopping.... I thought it strange, but it was her dog....
local laws vary. Some places do require that the dog be leashed. Others only require they be "under control". I happen to live in an area where the local law is "control"..although many people are under the misconception that means a "leash".
It is an interesting topic, because my dog is very much under voice control, and I've seen "leashed" dogs on those tethers that extend out, or being held by children or old people who aren't as strong as their untrained 80 lb dog. So depending upon the local laws, the kid being dragged by his enthusiastic Lab is legal, while the dog sitting still at his human's feet amidst all of this chaos, under voice control is not legal.
Sometimes, as my attorney brother would say, quoting from someone else,"The law is an ass."
Old 02-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

I know. Like they say, "you never know."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
local laws vary. Some places do require that the dog be leashed. Others only require they be "under control". I happen to live in an area where the local law is "control"..although many people are under the misconception that means a "leash".
My anecdotal observation is that many people think that they have voice control over their dogs, maybe because they actually do in their own back yards, but once in a public setting with distractions and stimulation, the dogs go deaf. When I hear commands being given and see them ignored, I reach for the pepper spray.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My anecdotal observation is that many people think that they have voice control over their dogs, maybe because they actually do in their own back yards, but once in a public setting with distractions and stimulation, the dogs go deaf. When I hear commands being given and see them ignored, I reach for the pepper spray.
I don't blame you. Not under control is, well...not under control. Yelling at Fido at the top of one's lungs while Fido runs away is not under control.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
spray the dog.
Shoot the owner.
LOL That was my laugh of the week, maybe of the month.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I have 3 Maltese and always keep them leashed when out because they can be unpredictable. They were mill breeders and so had bad lives before rescue. Only one is good with kids so I let kids pet that one and don't take them close to kids. Then I inherited my son's old 80lb dog and knew he would require much more exercise, etc. we do have a fenced in backyard but he likes to get out. I take him on a walk daily on leash or to the dog park. I do take him for off leash hikes sometimes too where it is allowed. WE were attacked from behind once by an off leash pit in a park with lots of small kids. My dog was hurt and the owner finally got him off and then ray away. I am a huge dog lover but about 20 years ago we lived in a neighborhood with lots of small children-ours were teens and I walked daily. One day a big dog jumps his 6 ft fence and starts to attack my hubby and I. I only survived because of my hubby. I insisted the owners do the right things and put it down due to all the small kids in the area and they did. I never thought I would do that.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Actually, I think the dogs are just protecting their owner in a situation like this. Probably a good thing.
There is NEVER a good idea to have a dog off-leash. People often say, "My dog is well-behaved." Doesn't matter.

My wife was walking a well-behaved, neighbor's dog on a leash. Another presumably, well-behaved neighbor's dog sprinted past and the dog my wife had reacted immediately chasing the dog. In the next split second, this 100-pound dog, traveling at 20 mph hit the end of his leash, and snapped my wife over. Her foot folded under her leg until she was literally standing on top of it. Her talus (ball joint in ankle) was shattered. Two surgeries, and many years of pain resulted. She is technically disabled, had to quit her job, and nearly lost the ability to walk. Still in pain a lot 6 1/2 years later.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
There is NEVER a good idea to have a dog off-leash. People often say, "My dog is well-behaved." Doesn't matter.

My wife was walking a well-behaved, neighbor's dog on a leash. Another presumably, well-behaved neighbor's dog sprinted past and the dog my wife had reacted immediately chasing the dog. In the next split second, this 100-pound dog, traveling at 20 mph hit the end of his leash, and snapped my wife over. Her foot folded under her leg until she was literally standing on top of it. Her talus (ball joint in ankle) was shattered. Two surgeries, and many years of pain resulted. She is technically disabled, had to quit her job, and nearly lost the ability to walk. Still in pain a lot 6 1/2 years later.
This is a good reminder that it takes a lot of strength to hold a dog - they are 4WD, muscular and low to the ground. I'm amazed at how many people give their little kids the leash for a large dog. Might as well let the dog loose. Also, another reason for a short leash.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

Border Collies are assume.............

We always have our three on leash unless we are way out on a conservation area path and then keep a lookout for anyone approaching. Then we re-leash.

We carry spray but I would have to be really sure there was a threat before I used it.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
This is a good reminder that it takes a lot of strength to hold a dog - they are 4WD, muscular and low to the ground. I'm amazed at how many people give their little kids the leash for a large dog. Might as well let the dog loose. Also, another reason for a short leash.
Oh yea.... I remember back when I was young holding my neighbors dog's leash (spelled it right this time ) and he would just drag me around the back yard.... heck, I think he thought I was a sled or something and he was just pulling me... I thought it was fun...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I walk two Golden Retrievers (always on leashes except in off-leash areas). They are always very friendly to people and generally friendly to other dogs but as soon as other dogs lung or bark, they bark back. My take on it is that leashed dogs feel insecure when another dog is aggressive and put on a self defensive show. This is never a problem in the Congressional Cemetery which is a local off leash area nor in a local park where a lot of dogs run free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post

48Fire, I think you misunderstood my comment was in response to Don's post, not the same situation that happened to your wife or the OP. I would never suggest its OK for a dog to jump on someone on or off leash.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve (pun intended) is dog owners who seem compelled to take their dogs with them shopping, running errands, etc. We went to a fair-type event a couple weeks ago that was quite crowded and I was surprised at the number of people who had dogs of various sizes with them.

To the bike multi-use path for a walk... ok... to the dog park... ok.... to a park with lots of open space....ok... but why to an event where there is a crowd of people around or out running errands with you.... please just leave them at home.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote