Office walls are closing in

We American's are spoiled. Take a look at this typical Japanese office.
Office layout | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I worked in a Japanese company for 5 years and confirm this poster's picture is typical for large companies. In my office, there was only one phone line for every 10 or so people.

We American's are spoiled. Take a look at this typical Japanese office.
Office layout | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I worked in a Japanese company for 5 years and confirm this poster's picture is typical for large companies. In my office, there was only one phone line for every 10 or so people.

This reminds me of when I was a field auditor. Did this kind of work for about 12 years for a couple of different employers. We'd find a place to set up and get to work. Biggest hazzard: tripping over computer and printer cables. The job would usually last for a week or two then it was off to the next audit.

How can you possibly surf the internet and play mindsweeper in such an environment? Guess I'm a typical baby boomer.

Mindsweeper? :LOL:

Sounds ideal for the office.

While a corner office with harbour views is better than being open plan, it's still an office. I won't miss it when the time comes.

The building I worked in had HEMP shielding so no cell phone service and the walls were 8 feet thick reinforced concrete so no windows. A few people took old window frames, mounted outside scenery pictures on the back and hung them on the wall. Got snowed in there once in a three day blizzard; after a day or two you lose all track of time of day. Here's the building:

Attachments

• removing radome 1.jpg
    removing radome 1.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 2
One side benefit of corporate cheapness when it comes to cutting facilities costs is that I hear some folks have been able to do more "telework" from home as a result. Every person who works out of a home office is one less parking space, one less cubicle, one less person using company energy, et cetera. The aggressive cost cutting many businesses have been doing make it an easier sell in many cases.

I know I started working from home full time as a result of a facilities consolidation when we were only going to renew one of the leases on the two buildings we leased the previous year. That meant space would be at a premium for the employees in the consolidated building, and the facilities manager asked if they could take my office since I was a part-time home office employee (and could use "reservation" style office space when I came into the office). I said I didn't mind if my management was willing to let me become a full-time home office employee, and there was no objection. I get to work in my pajamas with no commute and they save on facilities costs. Win-win.

I've only gone into the office in Austin twice in the last year or so. Once was to pack up all my personal belongings from my office and take them home, and the other was to pick up a new work laptop to replace my ancient and increasingly flaky one.

Seems to me the second trip was a waste... where is Fed-Ex when you need them:confused:

This reminds me of when I was a field auditor. Did this kind of work for about 12 years for a couple of different employers. We'd find a place to set up and get to work. Biggest hazzard: tripping over computer and printer cables. The job would usually last for a week or two then it was off to the next audit.

LOL... the just reminded me... I did taxes way back when... one day I was told... go to this business and see so and so... I was put in the BIG conference room that had windows where everybody could see me... I recognized a number of the audit staff walk by... looking at me like I was the enemy... I worked there for a week.. spread out over a 20ft. table with all the various schedules etc. to get their tax return done ASAP (they had a huge loss and wanted to file to get their loss carryback and pull in millions of dollars).... Then one day I saw one of the auditors and asked why I was getting these 'stares'.... he took me back to what looked like a broom closet where the whole audit team had to work... they could not believe I got the 'board room' by myself...

I guess if you are making them money... they treat you better...:flowers:

The building I worked in had HEMP shielding so no cell phone service and the walls were 8 feet thick reinforced concrete so no windows. A few people took old window frames, mounted outside scenery pictures on the back and hung them on the wall. Got snowed in there once in a three day blizzard; after a day or two you lose all track of time of day. Here's the building:

Looks like a modern version of the DEW line communications/radar site. Electronically steerable radar.

Last edited:
Looks like a modern version of the DEW line communications/radar site. Electronically steerable radar.
It's what remains of the original ABM system called Safeguard that was started when Nixon was president. It's the long range Perimeter Acquisition Radar (PAR) Site. very high power phased array radar now used for missile early warning and support of the Spacetrack catalog.

Thanks, at least was in the ballpark. When I get to sort through and scan old pics, will post one of the old Port Moeller, Alaska, DEW line antenna. It was a fixed direction dish, a very very big dish.

When were the days that employees had 500-700 square feet of space? I've never seen anything close to that for regular employees.

Then one day I saw one of the auditors and asked why I was getting these 'stares'.... he took me back to what looked like a broom closet where the whole audit team had to work... they could not believe I got the 'board room' by myself...

So you're the reason we had to work in the broom closet!

So you're the reason we had to work in the broom closet!

Yep.... that is the difference between bringing in millions and costing them time, effort and money...

I was SO happy that I was able to go straight into tax and did not have to do a stint in audit...

When were the days that employees had 500-700 square feet of space? I've never seen anything close to that for regular employees.

That actually was the space when people had private offices etc... remember... this is 'avg'... includes the halls, coffee bar, copy machines, file cabinets etc. etc.... and if a building is laid out badly, it takes space to get around all the columns or strange shapes...

Sometimes, close to half of the space is hallway.....

Back
Top Bottom