Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Who is Luther?
The moniker for Jacob Lusk, whom JLo coined as the "new Luther Van Dross"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
The moniker for Jacob Lusk, whom JLo coined as the "new Luther Van Dross"..........
Ah. Thanks. I tend to skip Jacob (and Scotty and Paul this week), so I was not aware of that.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

I wasn't surprised by last night's results but disappointed. I finally was beginning to like Paul. (Though I think Rod Stewart has nothing to worry about).

With that smile, he should be able to get some toothpaste commercials!

Anyone know what next week's "theme" is going to be?
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
Anyone know what next week's "theme" is going to be?
Songs from the 21st Century.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Haley's bluesy song with Casey and all the scatting was awesome. She might not win, but its not for lak of trying, and she is easy on the eyes, like Pia..........

Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Haley's bluesy song with Casey and all the scatting was awesome. She might not win, but its not for lak of trying, and she is easy on the eyes, like Pia..........
DH agrees with you. He would not have been a happy camper if she was voted off last night. I like her too, but for different reasons
Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
DH agrees with you. He would not have been a happy camper if she was voted off last night. I like her too, but for different reasons
She wears boots well...........

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

I really like Haley's singing, especially when she gets into the bluesy stuff. She also seems like a sweet person who isn't completely full of herself. I loved the duet she did with Casey last night.

I wasn't unhappy with Paul leaving, since somebody had to go -- he would have been my choice to go. I thought he showed a LOT of class at the end of the show, smiling and reassuring the other contestants that it was all OK. Definitely a class act.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I really like Haley's singing, especially when she gets into the bluesy stuff. She also seems like a sweet person who isn't completely full of herself. I loved the duet she did with Casey last night.

I wasn't unhappy with Paul leaving, since somebody had to go -- he would have been my choice to go. I thought he showed a LOT of class at the end of the show, smiling and reassuring the other contestants that it was all OK. Definitely a class act.
Haley and Stefano are the dark horses now. However, if Stefano wins, I would be shocked. Someone will give him a record, but I don't see it selling well.

Albums I will buy if they get one cut:

Pia
Scotty
Lauren
James
Casey

Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I won't buy any albums. Is this near-pathological LBYM? I only have 10 CD's total, all of which I bought on the same day back in the year 2000. So, I have some more adjusting to do before I feel comfortable buying CD's even though I can afford them now.

But anyway, I agree about Stefano. Sometimes he's pretty good but overall he is so inconsistent.

Recently I have started liking Haley's singing more than Casey's.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I won't buy any albums. Is this near-pathological LBYM? I only have 10 CD's total, all of which I bought on the same day back in the year 2000. So, I have some more adjusting to do before I feel comfortable buying CD's even though I can afford them now.

But anyway, I agree about Stefano. Sometimes he's pretty good but overall he is so inconsistent.

Recently I have started liking Haley's singing more than Casey's.
I use CDs to mean, buy off Itunes............

Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I use CDs to mean, buy off Itunes............
I'd like to be cool and say sure, but actually I have never done that either, never at all. I have downloaded free political podcasts from there (to listen to at the gym) but have never bought anything at all off iTunes. This has to end.

I am enjoying Music Choice on my TV (free with the new digital service I just got). That plus youtube is about it for me up to now.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I really like Haley's singing, especially when she gets into the bluesy stuff.
I kind of like her (we are talking about singing, right?), but something bugs me, and DW agreed. She seems to mumble all the lines. Sometimes you don't notice when she throws in that growl, but all her singing sounds kind of mush-mouth to me. Bugs the heck out of me.

Quote:
Paul is talented, but to me it's a very niche kind of talent. I think he can do a great job with Jesse Colin Young type songs, (OK, had to google some links, this is from a "no nukes" concert , but it was the best audio I found in the first few. go to his website for a cool updated version of 'Ridgetop').

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Check out this vid of pre-idol Haley:

Old 04-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Next week's theme - songs of Carole King. Crystal Bowersox will perform on the results show. Check out her new song - amazing lyrics and vocals. Love her.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Next week's theme - songs of Carole King. Crystal Bowersox will perform on the results show. Check out her new song - amazing lyrics and vocals. Love her.
Now there you go. Great technical skills, with real heart and soul and feeling. And you hear each word - no mumbly mouth skimming over the lyrics.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Now there you go. Great technical skills, with real heart and soul and feeling. And you hear each word - no mumbly mouth skimming over the lyrics.

-ERD50
Yeah, I agree...extremely talented and a great performer. She should have won last year.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #138

Totally agreee that Crystal should have won! I have her on my iPod, and listen often.

I wasn't a big Haley fan until she did Bennie and the Jets. That was amazing. She is really growing on me. Purron, thanks for sharing that link of her in 2008!

Too bad Pia won't be there for Carole King week. My heart is not in AI like it was when she was still on.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #139
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last night was the "Songs of Carole King" show. I love Carole King, and have loved many of her songs since I was a little kid--although, at the time, I did not know that she had written so many of the songs I liked as a little kid. I have since increased my knowledge of her contributions to popular music.

A few things that would have made last night's show more enjoyable for me are: 1) I wish the introduction about King's contributions would have also mentioned that The Beatles covered her music too (e.g., "Chains"); 2) except for a brief glimpse of some sheet music with his name on it, there was no mention that King's ex-husband, Gerry Goffin, contributed significantly to their early songs--including the mega-hit "Will You Love Me Tomorrow"); and 3) I wish one of the guys would have covered "Hey Girl." That song provides an opportunity for some vocal gymnastics, if one wants to experiment with its melody a bit. And the show already had the string section and background girl singers.

BTW: For those who love many of the old 1960s popular tunes, read "Always Magic in the Sir: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era."
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #140

I originally thought Casey was a serious jazz musician, but his performances are a parody. It was like a high school kid trying to be the Blues Brothers!

Jacob's voice may be good---just don't care for gospel/R and B type stuff.

To me, James isn't playing at being a rocker. He really gets the music. I thought he sang Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow in a pure manner, much like Carole King sang it. No affectations. He is definitely my favorite.

But can a guy with big ears who squints with Tourette's grimaces really win? Each week I am amazed that he has gotten enough votes to stay out of the bottom 3.