Join Early Retirement Today

Ohio man bulldozes $350K home to avoid foreclosure
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ohio man bulldozes $350K home to avoid foreclosure

MOSCOW, Ohio – An Ohio man says he bulldozed his $350,000 home to keep a bank from foreclosing on it.
Terry Hoskins says he has struggled with the RiverHills Bank over his home in Moscow for years and had problems with the Internal Revenue Service. He says the IRS placed liens on his carpet store and commercial property and the bank claimed his house as collateral.
Hoskins says he owes $160,000 on the house. He says he spent a lot of money on attorneys and finally had enough. About two weeks ago he bulldozed the home 25 miles southeast of Cincinnati.
Messages were left for the bank and its attorney.
IRS spokeswoman Jodie Reynolds said individual taxpayer information is private and federal law prevents her from commenting.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wonder if he got the idea from that Little House on the Prairie episode where they blew up all the buildings in the town instead of handing it all over to the scumbag businessman who managed to buy all the land the town was built on.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It is a crime to destroy collateral. He can make a new home in jail.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I am so tired of this pervasive victim mentality. "The IRS/bank/credit card company ruined my life, waaah!". Perhaps you could man-up and pay what you owe instead of throwing a tantrum when you don't get your way. For Pete's sake, grow up!
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Bulldozing a home only destroys its value and the value of the land is retained.

He could have got 'em one better by operating a Meth lab in the home and dumping the waste in the backyard and letting the bank foreclose. Now the house and land would have negative value.

Just kidding folks.

But I did read some banks foreclose on $250K homes with $200K loans only to inherit a half million environmental bill due to antics like these.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's worse than a tantrum! This only makes me think of the guy flying his plane into the IRS building in Austin last week.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

At least no one was injured in the bulldozing. I'm going to bet he left the debris on the land for the bank to clean up after the foreclosure goes through.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Anyway, hasn't he just made his own situation worse? Bulldozing the house won't repay the debt, but it does reduce what the bank will get for the property when they resell it after the foreclosure, and thus increase the size of the remaining debt. This will not clear the IRS liens. What did he think he was going to gain?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
This will not clear the IRS liens. What did he think he was going to gain?
Three hots, a cot and a roommate named Bubba.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
As well he should. Good grief.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

Sometimes it takes guts and a strong will to stand up to a corrupt and unfair government. Sometimes you burn a draft card or flag. Sometimes you refuse to sit in the back of the bus. Sometimes you bulldoze your home.........

But, I'm sure he's screwed up his chances of FIRE.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Sometimes it takes guts and a strong will to stand up to a corrupt and unfair government. Sometimes you burn a draft card or flag. Sometimes you refuse to sit in the back of the bus. Sometimes you bulldoze your home.........

Maybe he should have simply PAID HIS INCOME TAXES to begin with. Then he could have avoided those pesky IRS liens. I hope he goes to jail.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
And sometimes you get the elevator--Sometimes you get...
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:

And sometimes you take a plane and run it into an IRS building killing yourself. Good plan, Stan...not.

He needs to attend another anger management meeting...good grief. Glad I'm not married to him.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Yep..... Life isn't fair. So ya do what ya gotta do. But if it wasn't for some folks making a statement, we'd still have the draft, men-only voting, white-only lunch counters, etc. I don't necessarily agree with this guy, and he may very well go to jail, but as I get older I find myself realizing that some of the folks in my life that were more aggressively speaking up in defiance on various subjects than I might not have been all wrong.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #17

Isn't that what the Boston Tea Party and the Alamo were about? Standing up for your beliefs I get. Destroying your life or your house is pretty radical, but they did get the point across at least.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Destroying your life or your house is pretty radical,.
It's going on here in the Chicago area. Folks advertise on Craig's List that their house is being foreclosed and they're "selling parts." Contractors, tradesmen, whoever flock in and strip out the appliances, HVAC system, light fixtures, flooring or carpets, plumbing fixtures, doors - interior and exterior, cabinets, pretty much anything worth a nickel. They pay a few cents on the dollar, in cash of course. If the owner is particularly vindictive towards whoever is foreclosing they even post in the Craig's List "free" section and allow scrappers to pull the copper pipes and wire out of the walls. The owner walks away leaving a totally trashed house but with a little cash in his/her pocket. This is most common with newer, high tier homes. Less dramatic than the bulldozer deal this guy did, but has about the same effect.

If the bulldozer guy goes to jail, these folks ought to spend a little time in the pokey too, IMHO.

They're all jerks, but at least Mr Bulldozer got his moment of fame and made his point, whatever it was. Somehow doing it with a bulldozer just has more character than doing it via Craig's List.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
elevator?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
elevator?

Quote:
Sometimes you get the shaft -

badadump rimshot

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote