Oil change experience

These places are using the same tactic restaurants use. Sell up. This week took my car in for oil change, tech said I needed power steering and coolant replaced(based on miles), as well as my cabin air filter and wind shield wipers. All told would have added approx $175 to the cost of my oil change. My fluids had been replaced less than 15k miles earlier. I will change my wiper blades though.

I will change my wiper blades though.
Lately I've been blowing that off for five years or until after I get caught in a heavy rainstorm, whichever happens first.

Haven't been able to tell a significant difference.

I have two vehicles, a Cadillac that needs synthetic oil and a Chevrolet that doesn't. I always get my units serviced at the dealer, they'll do what the manufacturer specs require.....no problem. And, basic oil change, about 29 bucks for the Chev, More expensive for the escalade, 69 bucks. Why? they want to sell me my next car.

I haven't had a hassle, yet. And, they wash the car if I have time.....no charge.

I have a 2010 Toyota Camry with a 4 cyl. For 2010 Toyota change the oil to synthetic and I must use 0W20. I buy Mobil 1 in this weight and change the oil myself. They call for a change every 10K or 1 year. I do it more often as I think that's too long for oil. Although synthetic is not supposed to break down. It also says in the manual that if I use any other type of oil it will, not may damage the engine.

I suggest you learn how to change your oil. It is one of the simplest forms of auto maintenance and then you'll know the job was done correctly not to mention it will cost 50-80% less than they charge you. My oil change costs me $12 for 4 quarts of regular oil and a filter.

Yes, changing my own oil is not so much a cost saving measure as a means of keeping my blood pressure down and for peace of mind. No upsell to the "power flush", unneeded PCV valve, R&R the air in the tires, etc.

The problem is the dang location of the oil filters on many cars. It's often way in back on the transverse-mounted engine. We're shopping for a new car for DW now, and the sales folks (mostly about 20 YO) think it very strange when a customer wants to know where the oil filter is located, or opens the hood looking at that, access to spark plugs, etc.

If we like a car that happens to have one of these inaccessible oil filters, I'll probably add a remote filter mount right on the firewall way up high. And turn it gasket-up so it doesn't spill oil when I remove it and so I can carry a little more oil in the system.

My wife knows something about auto mechanics, but it's all a complete mystery to me. I would certainly never undertake to do an oil change. Our strategy has been to go from garage to garage, when we have a problem, until we hit what I would call a "confidence builder". Last year, our brakes failed, and our current garage told us they'd charge us less than $100 for the $400 job, since 3 years previous we'd had them work on our brakes (which I had not recalled), and they guaranteed their work. That was a confidence builder. Hey, I'm theirs for life, now, unless they do something awful and obvious to cheat me.

Bwahaha! Yes, I used to own a Small British Sportscar. I'd regularly pull into a gas station to check the fuel level with the dipstick and fill the oil, and of course check the glass bowl on the fuel pump for water.

Other weekly maintenance items included rebuilding and rebalancing the twin SU carburetors, which otherwise developed sticky pistons and gum on the needles.

Quarterly maintenance included pulling the engine and transmission, degreasing the clutch assembly and replacing the oil-soaked clutch, and so on.

Great for road trips! Spare engine and drive train included. Must see...

You had a TR-6 too? I kept a case of the oil in the trunk. Don't forget greasing the splines on the knockoff hubs about every 300 miles and tracking down an electrical short at least monthly.

You had a TR-6 too? I kept a case of the oil in the trunk. Don't forget greasing the splines on the knockoff hubs about every 300 miles and tracking down an electrical short at least monthly.
You had an XKE too? Three side-draft carbs to synchronize and rear disk brakes (located next to the differential and directly beneath the fuel tank) that dragged and glowed cherry-red. Drop the rear end to change out the disks. Woo-hoo!

But, the most beautiful car I'll ever own.

Sounds like they tried to scare you into going for Super1. You could give a negative review to a place like the local yellow pages online. That way others could see that they aren't on the up and up with their way of doing business.

I suggest you learn how to change your oil. It is one of the simplest forms of auto maintenance and then you'll know the job was done correctly not to mention it will cost 50-80% less than they charge you. My oil change costs me $12 for 4 quarts of regular oil and a filter.

I agree, change it yourself if you want it done right. In over 40 years of car ownership, I've never paid anyone to change my oil. And 5 quarts - what both my current cars take - of full synthetic (M1) and a good filter costs me about $35. And, as long as you have someplace to dispose of the old oil, it will take less time if you do it yourself.

...and rear disk brakes (located next to the differential and directly beneath the fuel tank) that dragged and glowed cherry-red.
I bet the bright glow from your rear end (I'm referring to the car) made it easy for the hot chicks to find you during Saturday-night cruising...

I bet the bright glow from your rear end (I'm referring to the car) made it easy for the hot chicks to find you during Saturday-night cruising...
Or they could find me by following the leaking brake fluid.

It was a magnet. And the breakdowns in the wilderness were totally believable and legit!

Yes, changing my own oil is not so much a cost saving measure as a means of keeping my blood pressure down and for peace of mind. No upsell to the "power flush", unneeded PCV valve, R&R the air in the tires, etc.

The problem is the dang location of the oil filters on many cars. It's often way in back on the transverse-mounted engine. We're shopping for a new car for DW now, and the sales folks (mostly about 20 YO) think it very strange when a customer wants to know where the oil filter is located, or opens the hood looking at that, access to spark plugs, etc.

If we like a car that happens to have one of these inaccessible oil filters, I'll probably add a remote filter mount right on the firewall way up high. And turn it gasket-up so it doesn't spill oil when I remove it and so I can carry a little more oil in the system.

+1 - learned how to change my oil when in college (from one of those former Navy types who was an engineer) - don't do it so much now, but every now and then like to see where I'd have to go to change the oil and filter

Best story for me - we had a Fiat 125 and of course spent lots of time in the Auto Hobby shop....one time a guy came in with a VW bug - dropped the engine, replaced the head gasket and then zipped it right back up in less than 3 hours - we were still fiddling around with the carburetor leaflets....I was amazed.

That's what they did before the age of car neon underlighting :LOL: ...

All of you talking about changing your own oil crack me up. You have to be physically able to do that sort of thing, have the right tools and knowhow, have the ability to get under the car or jack it up, live in a area where car maintenance in the driveway is allowed and lastly, like to change oil. I get mine done when the local Goodyear tire dealer is running a special for $19.95 that includes the oil, filter, free tire rotation and top off all fluids. For $20 I wouldn't even think of doing it myself.

Lately I've been blowing that off for five years or until after I get caught in a heavy rainstorm, whichever happens first.

Haven't been able to tell a significant difference.

Is that a benefit of living in Hawaii? We had been putting close to 20K miles a year on the Highlander, changing the wipers 2x year on average.

All of you talking about changing your own oil crack me up. You have to be physically able to do that sort of thing, have the right tools and knowhow, have the ability to get under the car or jack it up, live in a area where car maintenance in the driveway is allowed and lastly, like to change oil. I get mine done when the local Goodyear tire dealer is running a special for $19.95 that includes the oil, filter, free tire rotation and top off all fluids. For $20 I wouldn't even think of doing it myself.

I guarantee that for $20 you aren't getting good quality (full synthetic) oil, nor a good quality (with an anti drainback valve) filter. Those are imperative in any car I own - likely why my cars last as long as they do.

More importantly, doing it yourself avoids the horror stories (wrong fluids put in, under/over filling, stripped drain plugs, other car damage, etc.) that result so often when someone else does such a simple job for you.

Granted, one has to be motivated somewhat to change his own oil and not afraid to get his hands dirty, has to have a couple simple tools, and has to be a little nimble to get under a car to remove a drain plug. But some of us just like to do this sort of work. Even considering disposal of the old oil, it still takes less time than taking your car to someone else to change it. It also provides a good opportunity (twice a year in my case) to rotate my tires and get under the car to do a thorough inspection.

To each their own. Considering all the advantages, I just don't get why more people don't change their own oil.

I am capable of changing my own oil, but have no interest in doing so. I have been taking my vehicles to my mechanic for years and the regular oil changes he does are also an opportunity for him to spot any problems that have developed that I might not notice.

You had an XKE too? Three side-draft carbs to synchronize and rear disk brakes (located next to the differential and directly beneath the fuel tank) that dragged and glowed cherry-red. Drop the rear end to change out the disks. Woo-hoo!

But, the most beautiful car I'll ever own.
I had an old Jag also, it was a lovely car. Then I realized I didn't make enough money to support it.

Thanks for resisting, MichaelB.

I will change my wiper blades though.

If you sand them down a bit with fine grit sandpaper or steel wool, they'll be as good as new. Even cleaning them with windex on a paper towel makes a huge difference.

They are just a strip of rubber, after all. Perhaps they deteriorate more in an environment with more heat and sun that ours.

-------------------

That "you'll have to sign this liability form" is a very clever lie. I've encountered it elsewhere as well.

---------------

On a somewhat related issue: many gas stations now charge 75 cents for air for your tires. In California, there's a law says that it has to be free if you buy gas there. I found a solution to this Saturday, when I discovered one tire was very low: I bought $1 worth of gas, then got my free air.

many gas stations now charge 75 cents for air for your tires. In California, there's a law says that it has to be free if you buy gas there. I found a solution to this Saturday, when I discovered one tire was very low: I bought $1 worth of gas, then got my free air.

1/4 gallon? Unless you (unfortunately) happen to live right next door to the gas station, you probably used way more than that just driving to get your `free' air.

Even decent air compressors aren't very expensive. For around $100 (if I remember correctly) you can just plug your own compressor in, wait a minute or so for the tank to fill up, and top your tires off yourself in your own garage or driveway. Now you have a lifetime supply of air at your constant dosposal.

When I was a teenager, I worked at a new car dealership that sold Porsche/Audi/Saab/Subaru. When you brought your car in for an oil change, they advertised oil change specials with 2 grades. The stuff was setup in pressurized hoses and connected to 100+ gallon tanks. It was name brand oil, like Castrol,IIRC, but it was the really cheap stuff, so cheap that none of the people that worked there used either grade that came from the tanks. They would go to the parts dept and get the 1qt bottles you find at the auto parts stores instead.

About 10 years ago when DD was away in college I told her to take her car and get the oil changed as I couldn't do it being 1200 miles away. As she was driving home she called me and told me the car was bucking. I had her call the dealership and have the car towed in to see what was wrong as this was a 1 year old car.

Turns out the person doing the oil change drained the transmission and added 5 quarts of oil to the oil pan. So DD had 10 qts of oil in the engine and no transmission fluid.
Most cars don't have transmission pan drains but this car did.

This is why I do it myself.

Dimsumkid is correct. I spent many years working in a car dealership and the oil they use is the cheapest garbage they can buy. The mechanics would never use it on their cars. Dealers buy it in 50gal drums for a song.

Back
Top Bottom