Oil extractor syphon question

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been thinking of buying an oil syphon hand operated suction pump for removing oil from small engines etc..

Do they seem to get the job done and what kind would you recommend buying.

I see they make a very inexpensive rubber ball type with a suction hose/exit hose on either side of squeeze ball pump. Just wondering if that type would do the job.

Not looking for 2 volt operating one just a hand pump type.

I'm currently going through this as it's time to change the oil in the push mower. I'm going to give this a shot - I already picked up the vinyl tubing for a couple bucks, and have a small sturdy container I can drill a couple holes in:

For small jobs like that, I use one of these spring powered fluid pumps. Works great, easy cleanup.
PS, heh heh, I should have 'said' spring return, you provide the power.

71ZYVdjXKnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Is there no drain plug on bottom? Even if none, just tip mower on side so old oil drains out the filler. Might require a bit of rigging and support to hold in position. Most smaller engines are only 20-32 oz of oil.
The suction thing can work, but just seems more to clean up.

Is there no drain plug on bottom? Even if none, just tip mower on side so old oil drains out the filler. Might require a bit of rigging and support to hold in position. Most smaller engines are only 20-32 oz of oil.
The suction thing can work, but just seems more to clean up.
Agreed....I tired the suction pump some years ago (got it as a gift), messy and I don't think it got all the oil... I've kept it hanging in the workshop so the gifter (DW) thinks it's still being used.

Thanks for those pumps of choice, I appreciate those. I have 5 small engines that have no drain plugs on bottom or side to drain. It is kind of a pain to tip on side and have to hold up and tip more to get the oil completely out. I suppose it does create a little more cleaning. I would most like just place hand pump in a bucket and let it drain and don't clean it after every use. I was hoping these pumps would be easier then tipping lifting etc..

njhowie >>> I liked that video! I easily could rig that up. Thanks

Last edited:
If wanting to go on the cheap Harbor Freight has a transfer pump for ~$7 that I've had good luck with. I used it on my pickup truck for transmission fluid changes (transmission fill port was in an awkward location), can also be used to suction fluid out.
image_26864.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the help. I will most likely buy a cheaper pump for the little I need one.

I also like the idea that was mentioned is you can add fluid to transfer case etc. that are place that is impossible to do without pump like this.

Back
Top Bottom