Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
I'm probably not explaining it easily . In the oil business you have many independent drilling companies . Most are leveraged big time when the price of oil goes down they must continue to work ie reducing rig costs to pay debts. Same for pumping companies . a few years ago with the 27.00 oil Odessa had rigs stacked for miles . But before that happened the people with land leases had them drilled at the cheaper rig and pumping costs ..a mad rush . They cement the well in with a BP so it is not performing . This is like money in the bank as soon as the price goes up they come in and drill out the BP and stimulate the well . The Service companies have to work and at 54.00 they are making money.

A good indicator is Halliburton , Schlumberger Baker . Their profits are down but they are working like crazy .

That is true, but some states have laws that once the finish date is done they have so much time to produce that well or the well has to be reclaimed. They (oil company) are very tricky in how they operate and states and mineral owners are wise to their crook business ways.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #42

Here is something to think about 700 wells drilled 400 completed , fracking is slowing down . people are holding off completing the wells till prices go up .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
I'm probably not explaining it easily . In the oil business you have many independent drilling companies . Most are leveraged big time when the price of oil goes down they must continue to work ie reducing rig costs to pay debts. Same for pumping companies . a few years ago with the 27.00 oil Odessa had rigs stacked for miles . But before that happened the people with land leases had them drilled at the cheaper rig and pumping costs ..a mad rush . They cement the well in with a BP so it is not performing . This is like money in the bank as soon as the price goes up they come in and drill out the BP and stimulate the well . The Service companies have to work and at 54.00 they are making money.

A good indicator is Halliburton , Schlumberger Baker . Their profits are down but they are working like crazy .
Can you tell me what is a BP?

Thanks, Ha
Old 11-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Blowout preventer (?).
Old 11-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm anxiously awaiting the pork belly thread...
Old 11-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
... why are the financial news outlets always crying when the price goes down, and happy when it goes up?
I think Marketwatch and other financial news outlets have a laser focus on trying to deliver information that will allow investors to make short-term decisions on things like oil futures, oil company stocks, or market fluctuations.

I think the positive consequences of low oil prices, that you mention, will be felt globally throughout every industry, and can't be linked to a particular buy/sell decision, so it's just not relevant to that kind of news source.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:01 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought oil stocks early this week. XOM and BP.
If crude stays low, I'll buy more, probably TOT and OXY
Crude won't stay this low very long, and there are some bargains out there now, plus I love the dividends
jjflyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can you tell me what is a BP?

Thanks, Ha
I just thought-blowout preventer! Thanks Ha
Old 11-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #49

Sorry everyone , a BP is a Bridge Plug , used to shut a well off . Some Bridge plugs are permanent and some are removeable . They use them a lot after a well has been drilled during a time of cheap oils ( cheap rig time ) They will wait till the price of oil goes up and remove the Bridge Plugs and maybe do an acid frac and then good to go .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Heard this podcast where they discuss the economics of fracking.

Low interest rates as a result of the financial crisis led to a boom in fracking, which is capital intensive.

One of the guys interviewed is Jim Chanos, hedge fund manager who has studied the economics of fracking.

He believes unlike standard wells, fracked wells require constant capital infusion to keep up production.

But with interest rates rising, that makes the economics precarious.

He also thinks there are bad incentives in the industry, where production rather than profitability is incentivized.

He didnít say it but sounds like he was shorting or considering shorting many of these fracking companies.
The "fracking companies? Who are these subcontractors to the oil producers?

First of all, we (U.S.) have been fracturing rock formations in oil/gas wells for 100 years. Nothing new here. What's different is we are now able to drill horizontal wells with multiple long laterals and break the rock (shale, limestone, etc.) using high pressure liquids and small explosive charges. Then the wells produce more liquids and gasses than a conventional well used to produce.

I don't know about this "constant capital infusion" being something new as ALL wells need to be re-entered and serviced occasionally, regardless of whether or not they are conventional or horizontal. Nothing new here.

In the scheme of things, we are now producing more hydrocarbons as a nation due to the ability to recover hydrocarbons from shale formations, the advent of horizontal drilling, and the ability to fracture hard rock formations in long lateral wells.

It's all good for the U.S. as it takes the dependency legerage away from OPEC and we can be more self reliant on our energy needs.

Since crude oil is a worldwide commodity, the contract price will find its way to one that (hopefully) most producers will make money at.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #51

We are swing producer + of oil now and a significant exporter of LNG. There is more than a few shale companies that are profitable (not greatly) at 40$ oil or above, and we are the largest producer now.

Meanwhile, as new electric generation sources, wind and solar are cheapest, so we're in a sweet spot of increasingly shifting renewables while exporting/producing carbon-based needs. Electric cars will ride that tail, increasingly over the next 10-15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We still import about 1/4 of our crude oil needs. We export many products, including diesel fuel, gasoline, natural gas liquids, etc.

What the U.S. producers have done in the last decade is become a threat as to being the "swing producer" in worldwide crude oil production. Our ability to develop horizontal drilling and figure out how to economically get hydrocarbons out of hard shale has given our producers about 2 MM BPD of increased production over the last decade.

Our shale reserves are large and as an example of our ability to bring on crude oil production quickly, we have about 3,600 wells drilled in south Texas that are "not completed" (not fracced) and could be producing in 30 days or so. Similar drill and shut in but not complete strategy is going on in North Dakota.

So it's all good.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:28 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Given that there are more oil consumers than producers, low prices are good for most people.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote