Join Early Retirement Today

Oil Price Impact on Markets and Economy
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oil Price Impact on Markets and Economy

When oil goes down my thinking would be a great thing for the economy. Cost of doing business is less and for consumers it costs us less etc.. I also know that when these oil companies aren't making what they want it isn't good for the markets or economy.

Can someone explain why and how it works for the markets and consumers and the effects we see from the actions of (oil) prices?

I have heard lower price oil is great for markets and economy. I also have read reports low oil prices are not good for our economy and the markets.

I have always seen very mixed theory on the topic.

street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Oil prices are a huge part of every link in just about every supply chain. Higher prices are a drag on the economy which hurts all the workers and all the businesses that contribute to it.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #3

My high-level view: oil prices down are a great thing in the long term (cheaper inputs), and can be a negative factor in the short term.

This is because low prices push investment down in the oil industry as well as profits there. The benefits take a while to trickle down the value chain.

Adjustments, even positive ones, take time.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #4

Thanks and it does make sense. Too much change either high or low will have the effect on the markets. I'm guessing finding that middle and balance is what we need in oil pricing. It always seems like it is feast or famine or greed and bust.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oil prices had really ramped up over the past year along with the stock market. This was also due to the US dollar dropping - a major factor on oil prices (and dropping dollar also tends to push up US equities). And now with the stock market selling off sharply, oil has dropped below $60 which I think will help economically.

Yes - part of industry does better with higher oil prices, but most of the economy does better with lower oil prices IMO, as long as they aren't so low that it drives unemployment up. We had a little bit of that with the 2015 oil price collapse. But then much lower fuel prices helped keep inflation down for a couple of years.

I was getting a little uncomfortable with the oil price run up and am glad to see it pull back.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #6

Either extreme is bad. Like all things, its relative to all the other macro factors in the economy and, of course, what expectations are at the moment. And even then, what hurts one sector helps another.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Thanks.