Ok all I’ve got is cheap mittens

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Drugs I tell you! Or is it age. I never had cold hands but these paper thin mittens I have aren’t cutting it. I don’t want ski mittens - can anyone recommend a good pair of wool mittens? I know it’s late in the season but I hate the cold. Not long ago it was the first time ever I had cold hands... age I guess.. help. I don’t want bulky I want quality.

Last edited:
What do you want them for? How long do you need to stay warm? For example, I have different gloves (mittens) for when I snow blow and shovel snow than I do just for going to and driving the car. Snow clearing takes about 45 minutes and I need a bit more of a sturdier glove.

Generally a mitten with Thinsulate will do you well. If you need more, there’s things like heated gloves and hand warmers that you can put in a glove.

Try these:

https://www.carhartt.com/products/W...MIiIjrr4Lb4AIVz5CfCh2nFwLuEAQYAiABEgJZsfD_BwE

Last edited:
Down, goose down. The only insulation that keeps you warm. Get down mittens. You’ll thank me.

Not drugs, but I do advocate better living through chemistry. There are chemical hand warmers that activate when exposed to air. I use those in the toes of my ski boots. They make them for mittens too.

However, I've found that a silk glove liner inside my heavier gloves work really well, are very light and thin.

Last edited:
+1 skipro33

It was 3F yesterday when I ran to the grocery store. Chemical warmers kept my hands delightfully warm. If hunting is popular in your area, they should be easy to find.

Not drugs, but I do advocate better living through chemistry. There are chemical hand warmers that activate when exposed to air. I use those in the toes of my ski boots. They make them for mittens too.

However, I've found that a silk glove liner inside my heavier gloves work really well, are very light and thin.

+1 skipro33

It was 3F yesterday when I ran to the grocery store. Chemical warmers kept my hands delightfully warm. If hunting is popular in your area, they should be easy to find.

That’s my set up. Mittens with a liner. In between the liner and the mitten is a heat pack. My DW actually made some small rice bags that can be heated up in the microwave and work for the time it takes me to clear snow. But for longer time periods, I use hot hands.

https://hothands.com

There’s also these:

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/hothands-heated-apparel-glove-mitten-black.html

That store has a lot of neat warm hand products. Check out the heated clothing. Like I said above though, kind of depends on what you need and how long you need to stay warm.

I found some, with Thinsulate in them somewhere. Two layers, the first layer is gloves, the second is mittens, gloves within mittens. I can't drive with them, but they are great for shoveling and walking outside. Lightweight and soft too. I wish I had bought more than one pair.

I have a pair of mittens that are made so the part over the fingers hinge back over the back of the hand and held with a magnet. When I need my fingers, say for the car keys, I can just flip that part back over my hand and use them. When finished, the finger part flips back over my fingers and I'm back to being warm and toasty again. They must be for hunting because they are camo, but I don't remember where I bought them. They are fleece with some sort of liner.

We don't have any mittens or gloves. No reason... we haven't left the house since January 5th. Anxiously awaiting spring, as we're beginning to run our of food.:(

We don't have any mittens or gloves. No reason... we haven't left the house since January 5th. Anxiously awaiting spring, as we're beginning to run our of food.:(

Your friends at Amazon can fix that. "Alexa, deliver the milk, eggs, bread, coffee, chicken, and broccoli this afternoon between 2 and 4 PM..."

Ok its for my 45 minute walks outside. I wear a hoodie and a medium coat that I have to open a bit at the end because Im overheating. My cheapie mittens are ok above 35 as long as it isnt too windy. I find myself walking with my hands in my pockets.. I dont like that it affects my balance.

Last edited:
I have always had cold hands, and suffer all Winter long usually. I have been looking at some of the heated work gloves, does anyone have any of these, or could recommend any ?

Get a pair made with Windstopper fleece, lightweight and warm. + A Thinsulate liner will be warmer yet.
P.S. I meant layer. The Thinsulate layer will add a little bulk along with the warmth.

Last edited:
What do you want them for? How long do you need to stay warm? For example, I have different gloves (mittens) for when I snow blow and shovel snow than I do just for going to and driving the car. Snow clearing takes about 45 minutes and I need a bit more of a sturdier glove.

Generally a mitten with Thinsulate will do you well. If you need more, there’s things like heated gloves and hand warmers that you can put in a glove.

Try these:

https://www.carhartt.com/products/W...MIiIjrr4Lb4AIVz5CfCh2nFwLuEAQYAiABEgJZsfD_BwE
I have the Carhart gloves similar to the mittens you linked and they are awesome. Snow blowing, hiking, snowshoeing whatever they're light, warm, and stay dry. They lock inside my jacket sleeves and eliminate any gaps for snow or air to invade.

Ok its for my 45 minute walks outside. I wear a hoodie and a medium coat that I have to open a bit at the end because Im overhearing. My cheapie mittens are ok above 35 as long as it isnt too windy. I find myself walking with my hands in my pockets.. I dont like that it affects my balance.

That would make the hot hands kind of expensive. Look into these:

https://www.kenarry.com/diy-rice-hand-warmers/

If you have or can find someone with a sewing machine, these are great. Quick zap in the microwave, put them in your gloves and you’ll be warm for a half hour easy. 45 minutes and you’ll still be good. Much more than that and they’ll be spent. But, they’re reusable and way cheaper than the hot hands. When I tailgate, I go ahead and use the hot hands.

One of the best pair of gloves I have are some old motorcycling gloves. Just a thin leather layer on inside of the hands to allow good feel, but insulated on the outside of hand with full insulation starting at the wrist; and also have a nice longer gauntlet that goes up over your jacket sleeve. Prevents the wind getting in. Being leather, they are wind-proof. That is half the battle it seems to prevent heat from escaping is to have a good fit without ability for wind to get in. The motorcycle gloves are also sewn with a slight curve to the hand which is a natural resting position. Not straight like so many gloves and when you bend your hand it causes force which distorts the glove.

I am sure you could find similar at an outdoor store for snowmobile or similar. I don;t ski, but ski gloves may also have same features. Pigskin or deerskin leather is softer than cowhide leather.

Last edited:
Chemical activated hand warmers get your palms of your hands nice and toasty.

Your friends at Amazon can fix that. "Alexa, deliver the milk, eggs, bread, coffee, chicken, and broccoli this afternoon between 2 and 4 PM..."

Be careful how you ask for it. My buddy Jeff did something similar to the above, and he ended up buying and entire supermarket chain!

You want "Outdoor Research" brand "Firebrand" mittens.

Not close to cheap, but they are warm.

So DW surfed the net and found a pair reasonably priced mittens and they should be delivered tomorrow. A few minutes ago I went with her food shopping just to get out of the house. I was in the Acme supermarket and came upon a display of marked down winter stuff. One pair of mittens with thinsulate sticker attached to them marked down to $6.50. I tried them on definitely much warmer and not bulky. I think they will block the better wind too. Guess what at checkout they were $3.50. I think I was just born lucky sometimes. It’s up to 40 today but it humid and raw out there. I found out the thread bare mittens I’m using were free with some donation. IMG_0013.jpg
I am now officially in mitten heaven. I took my new mittens out for a test drive today -45 minute walk. They are awesome too warm for today but tomorrow morning when its 25 degrees out they will be a joy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom